Precut Cakes

Decorating By meldancer Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 5:59am by indydebi

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:38am
post #1 of 10

My church is having a banquet and has requested two sheet cakes, precut. Is there a design I could do or am I stuck doing the standard grid with a flower in the middle of each piece? I would like to get more exposure, but don't feel the simple design would show much.

Could I precut the cake before I frost it or will the frosting tear all over when they serve it?

Any ideas?

9 replies
fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:11am
post #2 of 10

Melanie,
Here is a way you could do it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_89555.html

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:40am
post #3 of 10

You can put anything in the grids depending on the holiday/function. Like for Thanksgiving, you can put melted yellow, orange, green and brown choc. in a leaf mold and place on grids over piped grass..easy to do! What's the holiday/function?

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 10

I think you should wait until it is frosted before you cut the cake. The icing will pull when the pieces are taken out and it may make a mess.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 10

You could also do a cupcake cake. You know make a design with cupcakes and ice them like one big cake. Just a thought.

meldancer Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:07am
post #6 of 10

I figured my option would be to have a grid with 100 little things on each piece.

The banquet is just to kickoff some big changes in the church. They are unveiling some new things like more activities for kids, different ways to promote the church, etc. Nothing festive or anything.

Thanks for your help!

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:12am
post #7 of 10

There is one in my photos I did for a wedding shower. I iced and then cut the pieces with dental floss (plain - no mint). Then I piped over the cuts with a small border. It did very well at the party. You could pipe something like a cross and/or dove - different religous symbols, or fall leaves.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=47323

meldancer Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:24am
post #8 of 10

When you pipe over the precut area, how well does the piped design come off? Thanks for sharing this idea!

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:45am
post #9 of 10

It's not very wide, deep nor thick, so it comes off pretty clean. Not bad at all.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:59am
post #10 of 10

I never understand why some people want them precut? icon_confused.gif I mean, how hard is it to cut a square/rectangle cake into square pieces? I've made small marks on the border (it looks like part of the design) so the person knows where to cut it to get the number of pieces they need.

I have, however, seen cakes that are precut. The person cut the cake, then iced it .... similar to the cupcake-cake process. When the piece is picked up, it just pulled away and there was no "damage" to the icing overall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%