Its Cookie Season! ...a Tip On Royal Icing.

Decorating By melysa Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 9:12am by melysa

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 28

ok everyone, since its time to break out those cookie cutters for all sorts of cookies for the holidays...i thought i'd share this helpful tip on royal icing.

ESPECIALLY if you use meringue powder in your recipe, INSTEAD of adding water (and a little amount of extract) just use lemon juice in place of all other liquids, fresh or bottled. it really cuts that nasty aftertaste of the m.p. and the sweetness of the sugar. it makes for a very enjoyable flavor to the icing. i used to use mostly water and a little bit of flavoring(vanilla, almond , etc) but had this suggested to me last year. its a fantastic improvement on the taste of royal icing, PLUS it brightens the white.

enjoy.

27 replies
LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 28

Great tip!! I usually put vanilla or almond extract, but.....Now my imagination is running wild.... grand marnier, chambord, etc.....

Thx!!
Lisa

melysa Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 28

one time i used chambord (or it may have been raspberry extract) i cant remember cause i use chambord often too...anyway, it was really good, gave a nice raspberry pink tint and smelled delicious! i used it with chocolate fondant on sugar cookies. YUM!

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 28

Oh thank you for the great tip. I made NFSC w/Antonias RI for the first time last week and was wondering what to add to improve the flavor of the RI. I tried a little almond extract but it didn't quite do what I wanted it to. Can't wait to try this!

How about some tips on how to improve my decorating techniques so my cookies don't look like my three year old decorated them icon_lol.gif

Chrisy

melysa Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyoung5

How about some tips on how to improve my decorating techniques so my cookies don't look like my three year old decorated them icon_lol.gif

Chrisy

LOL....are you thinning it for flooding after you've outlined the cookies with a stiffer icing?

moonlightschild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moonlightschild Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 28

what about orange extract? will it change the colour of the royal icing?

marcy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcy11 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 28

I use Antonias royal icing recipe and it calls for 3/4 cup of water, would you use that much lemon juice instead....? This may be a silly question, but how much of a lemony flavor does it give the icing? I would love to find something to cut the aftertaste and the sweetness a bit, but without too much added flavor. I hope that makes sense!

melysa Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightschild

orange extract is clear, so it shouldnt change the color. as far as brightness...i dont think so, but i dont think it will add color either.

i THINK the reason the lemon juice does it, is because it acts as an acidic "bleach". i dont know, maybe its all in my head! the person who suggested it to me last year mentioned that, and i thought i noticed a brighter difference too, but who knows? at least i can say for sure that it doesnt color the icing if you want it to stay white like pure vanilla would.

melysa Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcy11

I use Antonias royal icing recipe and it calls for 3/4 cup of water, would you use that much lemon juice instead....? This may be a silly question, but how much of a lemony flavor does it give the icing? I would love to find something to cut the aftertaste and the sweetness a bit, but without too much added flavor. I hope that makes sense!

wow, is it a big batch of icing? i've never made here recipe. i substitute ALL the liquid, about 6 tb of lemon juice (nearly a half cup ) plus any flavorings it called for (an additional tb for the vanilla it called for).

honestly i dont know what else to do to cut the sweetness without adding the flavorings, other than perhaps a dash of salt, but that still wont do too much , in my opinion. you could try adding lemon juice to taste, then the remaining water, but honestly i think that using all lemon juice makes it really yummy. before i did it this way, i thought the stuff was disgusting- even with a little vanilla or almond.

another thought is to use clear vanilla (i dont like it much, but it wont change the color) and sub it for a portion of the water , using a dash of disolved salt too. with more vanilla and salt, its more versitile with flavors than lemon would be, say on a chocolate cookie.

but i DO LOVE the lemon! thumbs_up.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcy11

I use Antonias royal icing recipe and it calls for 3/4 cup of water, would you use that much lemon juice instead....?

I am interested to know this too...how much do you personally replace in your recipe. ie...your recipe calls for X amount of water and you replace with Y amount of Lemon extract.

Very interesting information.

I hjave replaced a portion of the water with cherry juice (like in the syrupy cherries put in drinks) and it did not work out well. The icing turned to powder after it dried and then was touched.

Thanks

Julia

moonlightschild Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightschild

orange extract is clear, so it shouldnt change the color. as far as brightness...i dont think so, but i dont think it will add color either.

i THINK the reason the lemon juice does it, is because it acts as an acidic "bleach". i dont know, maybe its all in my head! the person who suggested it to me last year mentioned that, and i thought i noticed a brighter difference too, but who knows? at least i can say for sure that it doesnt color the icing if you want it to stay white like pure vanilla would.

thx icon_biggrin.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 28

I didn't add flavouring suggestions to my recipe because I buy a brand of meringue powder that has vanilla powder right in it. Not having used the Wilton brand before, I didn't realize that they ALL don't have flavouring built right in.

Use whatever flavour extract you'd like, but do be careful of using any oil-based extract. Oil and royal icing aren't best friends! icon_lol.gif It can cause problems in the consistency of your icing and/or the drying time.

moonlightschild Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I didn't add flavouring suggestions to my recipe because I buy a brand of meringue powder that has vanilla powder right in it. Not having used the Wilton brand before, I didn't realize that they ALL don't have flavouring built right in.

Use whatever flavour extract you'd like, but do be careful of using any oil-based extract. Oil and royal icing aren't best friends! icon_lol.gif It can cause problems in the consistency of your icing and/or the drying time.

hi antonia,

i use the one that is from the bulk barn...is that ok?

melysa Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 28

helen, good point on the oil based flavorings!

julia, i use the wilton recipe. based on memory, i THINK it is 2 lbs sugar, 6 tb water (i use the lemon juice instead) 3 tb meringue powder and vanilla (which i omit or add more lemon juice). it makes 3 cups. i just completely substitute the liquids and it dries rock hard, no crumbling. perhaps your recipe crumbled if it was overbeaten or had oil residues on the bowl or mixer?

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 28

When I make Antonia's icing it's always too thick. I water it down but it never seems to come out nice and smooth like other decorated cookies I have seen on here using Antonia's recipe. I don't want to outline because sometimes you can see the outline on the cookie. But the surface my the icing comes out bumpy and then I shake the cookie back and forth and sometimes that will smooth out the icing. But I am really wondering what else I can do to make the icing come out smoothly and shiny. Any suggestions?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:11pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:

one time i used chambord (or it may have been raspberry extract) i cant remember cause i use chambord often too...anyway, it was really good, gave a nice raspberry pink tint and smelled delicious! i used it with chocolate fondant on sugar cookies. YUM!

Thanks for the idea! We have had a bottle of chambord for awhile, and haven't used much b/c we haven't found a lot of drinks to use it in that we like... But I never thought to use it when baking! Hmm... sounds like a good thing to test out this next week.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:09pm
post #17 of 28

I use corn syr, milk, extract and pwd sugar. It tastes sooooo much better than ri. It doesn't dry as quicly or as hard, but are perfectly manageable when dried overnight. Equal amts of milk and syr. thicken as necessary with sugar..........

antonia74 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 28

Yes Moonlightschild, their brand is fine! I use the one packaged in 1 kilo bags from McCall's Cake Supply. It's really strongly vanilla-scented.

Sunflowerfreak, are you piping it with a piping bag onto the cookie? Just add a few tablespoons more water to thin your icing down first...no biggie! icon_smile.gif The icing consistency is very much affected by weather throughout the year too. Sometimes, hot humid days don't require as much water to thin it...other times I need to add a few tablespoons to get it just right. You can also cover the thinned icing with a damp teatowel, walk away and come back a few hours later. The icing will be smoother, ever so slightly thinner and bubble-free! icon_biggrin.gif

donnalea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnalea Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:17pm
post #19 of 28

Antonia---

What brand of myringue powder do you use that has vanilla flavoring in it? I'm curious, your cookies are always so perfect.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:28pm
post #20 of 28

Would liquid flavoured coffee creamers work in place of extract or the lemon juice in RI?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:29pm
post #21 of 28

Thanks for the tip Melysa!! I absolutely loathe the taste of RI, but nothing decorates like it!! You can do some amazing stuff, but I hate to eat it. Maybe this excellent tip will make it edible! (It's not that it's too sweet to me... it's the nasty MP taste!)

antonia74 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnalea

Antonia---

What brand of myringue powder do you use that has vanilla flavoring in it? I'm curious, your cookies are always so perfect.

It's the packaged brand from McCall's Cake Supply. Oops, it's a 1.5 kilogram bag...not a 1 kilo bag as I just mentioned in my previous post. You can get it in smaller sizes, but this is so economical and it lasts forever anyway:

https://www.mccalls-cakes.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=5801&CATID=27

icon_cool.gif

melysa Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:42pm
post #23 of 28

melvira, you are welcome! i wish i could remember who it was that suggested it to me !

kello, i would not use the coffee creamers, liquid or powder. they have hydrogenated oils in them. it would probably break down the structure of the icing.

donnalea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnalea Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:43pm
post #24 of 28

Thanks Antonia, I really appreciate the info.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:21pm
post #25 of 28

Thanks melysa.....I didn't think I could, but thought I'd ask.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:33pm
post #26 of 28

This is a great thread considering the time of year. Thanks for all the suggestions.

jrosebud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrosebud Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:04am
post #27 of 28

Kudos! I *heart* lemon.

*dreams of gingerbread cookies decorated with lemon royal icing* mmm...

melysa Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:12am
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:

Thanks for the idea! We have had a bottle of chambord for awhile, and haven't used much b/c we haven't found a lot of drinks to use it in that we like... But I never thought to use it when baking! Hmm... sounds like a good thing to test out this next week.

you can also use it in your bc, smbc or fruit fillings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%