Black Bc

Decorating By veronica970206 Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 12:27pm by veronica970206

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 17

Here is my problem, I made the most awesome chocolate BC I have ever had in my life, and I was tinting it to be black BC, well for some reason it looks more like a dark dark gray compared to black, do I add more coloring? Add brown?? What do I do? Also if anyone knows does it work the same with RI??? Thanks so much in advance, Veronica icon_smile.gif

16 replies
heather1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather1 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 17

I have the same problem with mine to. I could use the whole bottle of color in it and it would still be ashy. I just got done posting under this forum about Sams icing. I colored some black last night and within 45 min. it was very black. I couldn't believe it. Maybe you can try it out sometime and see how you like it. It took alot of convincing for me to switch to sams instead of my own. Sorry I cant be more of a help, but I'm in the same boat.

veronica970206 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 17

This sounds so crazy I bet, but what is Sam's icing? Where can I get it? You said it exactly, it looks ashy, I could not think of the words when I was typing this, but you hit it dead on. I hope where ever I can get the Sam's icing it works as well for me as it did for you. Thanks for your help!!! Sincerely, Veronica

PS I also struggle with RED!!!!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 17

My black is always just a very dark gray, then after it dries a bit it turns very black. try putting a little out on a place or napkin and let it air dry a little while and see what it does.

kakeladee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladee Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:17am
post #5 of 17

I had the same problem. I gave up. I don't like sending people to other web sites because I have learned SOOOOOOOOO much here. But when I need black (and red for that matter) I order black (and red) bc icing from Cincinnati Cake and Candy Supplies. When I need black - I don't usually cover the entire cake, just portions. I think I would try my best at making my own if I were covering the entire cake. I have a couple pics in my photos where I have use Cincinnati's icing. I have read from many people at this site that AmeriColor has a black that really turns your icing black, so I bought some. I have come much closer to black than ever before. I have used the AmeriColor Black for royal icing and it is black. I'm sorry to cake central for this but it has helped me. If you order now you will definitely have it in time for Halloween cakes. Again, sorry Cake Central.
tapedshut.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:22am
post #6 of 17

First off.. there's no reason to appologize for giving a product recommendation here. thumbs_up.gif

Second.. have you let your icing sit? I find that after an hour or 2, the icing color will deepen. I have better luck coloring chocolate BC black than white. Plus I use SMBC so it just doesn't like to get black. Royal icing I have never had a problem getting jet black with enough Americolor black. Red is the same.. color your icing.. let it sit and check it. If it's really pink-ish.. you can add a little orange or yellow to take that pink away. But just a little at a time or you'll have a coral color. It can take a lot of color to get that BRIGHT red or jet black though.

pinkdaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkdaisy Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:35am
post #7 of 17

I usually need only small areas of black too, so I don't mind doctoring a canned icing. I learned on this site that Duncan Hines "Dark Chocolate" is a fantastic base. You can stiffen it up with powdered sugar, if need be. I didn't need to add much of the Wilton black gel to get a genuine black color.

Dawne0174 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawne0174 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:27am
post #8 of 17

I just made a movie marker, it's loaded onto site Movie Marker Take 40. I made BC added non-sweetened Chocolate squares, and then tinted with black, it took a bit of black, and I too thought I was going to get gray. Left in the fridge covered for 2 days, it still looked black when I went to prepare it to frost, then within 5 minutes it was Jet Black. See the picture if you want to you will see how black it really turned out. My sons were the taste testers and absolutely loved it! Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:14am
post #9 of 17

I always start with chocolate to get black, and I do find that I add a lot of black to it still. When it's still ash colored I add more black. It does need to sit a while because the color will darken as someone else said.

Hope this helps...

- Paula

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:26am
post #10 of 17

If I am just using a small it, I doctor a canned dark frosting too.

RaYiTo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaYiTo Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:44am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

If I am just using a small it, I doctor a canned dark frosting too.

what do you guys meant by doctored?? maybe is a silly question ,but i`m new at this and my black bc also turns ashy.

veronica970206 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:48am
post #12 of 17

It is funny that you mentioned the red, mine ALWAYS turns out coral, I almost cannot stand it.

When I made the "black" I did use a chocolate bc as a base, and like most have said it turns to an ash color, I guess it is still good for Halloween, but for the record it is still not the black that I am hoping for, I know back in the day when I used the canned frosting, when we added the black gel coloring man alive did that ever turn BLACK!!!! Holy cow, the kids teeth were black, it wasn't coming out of their clothes when we had their cousins over for cupcake day, it was nuts and after all these classes that I have taken I cannot get black, LOL>

I do appreciate all your advice, I didnt know you can add powder sugar for a thicker frosting to canned frosting. Thanks so much, you all are the best!!! Sincerely, Veronica

PS Can someone explain to me the the flower nail at the bottom of the cake to give it a flater surface instead of using those strips for around the cake pans. Does it pop out, does it cook into the cake, how does that work??? I am wanting to try it, but kinda nervous. Thanks so much again!!!

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:07am
post #13 of 17

I've done great getting black and done awful using the same techniques.. go figure.. I usually start with chocolate frosting and just add black to it.. it's a crap shoot..

for RED.. mix christmas red with red red and see what happens! It worked for me.. just mix up different reds and see if you get the color you want and not the coral color (my poor daughter was horrified by a corally colored Elmo one year!)..

good luck!
Wendy

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:23am
post #14 of 17

I use Chefmaster red and black...just takes a little bit to make the colors...especially if you CAN'T use chocolate to make black icing....one way to do this is to color your icing gray (which isn't hard to do most of the time black will tint it gray...add a little brown and then the black...) let it sit for a day or 2
and you will get a great black. Always let your deep colors sit a little better a couple days then not. You will end up with a beautiful red and black icon_smile.gif.

HTH's
Christi

pinkdaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkdaisy Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:34am
post #15 of 17

Veronica, I cannot shake the visual of all those black teeth, LOL!! Someone had warned me that that could happen if you start with a white BC, because of the massive amounts of black you must add. But by starting with such a dark chocolate base, it hasn't been a problem for me so far. As for your other question, I don't have any personal experience with the flower nail yet.

RaYiTo, by "doctoring" something, we just mean taking something storebought, like a cake mix or canned icing, and adding some special touches to make it our own or better, or make it work for our needs (like adding the powdered sugar to a canned icing to make it stiff enough to pipe with). There are several threads here on really yummy things you can do by "doctoring" cake mixes (adding flavorings, etc.) when you have time to check it out!

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:36am
post #16 of 17

Veronica,

When I use my flower nail... I spray it with nonstick spray( I use the one for baking because it has a lil flour in it) and place it upside downin the bottom of the pan... flat side down pointy side straight up in center of pan. I always line my pans with a brown paper bag cut to fit and also sprayed. first goes in the flower nail, then I pop the liner over it, poking the nail through the paper, then fill my pan as usual. When the cake is cool enough to turn it out of the pan, I peel off the paper and the nail comes out with it. It will leave a small hole but nothing noticable. hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Andie

veronica970206 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:27pm
post #17 of 17

Does the brown paper bag throw off the taste of the cake? I would have never imagined doing that. I remember one time I baked a frozen pizza and forgot the cardboard circle underneath and it still tasted like pizza, so I guess it wouldn't, LOL> It was a long day that night I made it for dinner, LOL> Anyway, I seen a few people mention that on here and I was thinking how do they do that? Does the cake push the nail head out somehow, or does it never sink into the batter, or what??? Thanks so much for all your hints on the icing especially. I sent the chocolate chip brownie cupcakes with Chuck (my husband) to work, I placed place roses and leaves on them with black spider rings, that carrier was HEAVY!!! Hope none of the girls at his job are on a diet. I figured with it being Sweetest Day tomorrow and being close to Halloween, why not? Well I am off to get the kids to school. Sincerely, Veronica

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%