Help With Fondant Shapes And Bow

Decorating By dbmiller02 Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 3:19am by jibbies

dbmiller02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbmiller02 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 10

I am attempting my first fondant shapes and a bow for a cake due on Saturday. I am a little confused about the drying time for fondant. I had planned to make the shapes and bow ahead of time (Thursday), but I had read many people saying that their fondant cracked after it dried. If it is possible to do them ahead, what is the best way to store them until they are used?

I also am looking for a tutorial for a very simple two loop bow for the cake. I have seen the multiple looped bow, but not the simple one. Anyone know where I can find it?

I am wondering if there are any rules about how long a buttercream covered cake can be left out. If I apply the decorations before Saturday, I was under the impression that I can't put it back in the refrigerator.

Thanks so much!

9 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 10

Here is a tutorial on the simple bow. You really ought to add something to your fondant to dry a little bit quicker since you need it by Saturday...But you will still be ok icon_smile.gif . It won't crack if you don't roll it out too thin or real thick....I'd say a good thickness is a little more then a thickness of a quarter...and 1/2 (Im sorry Im not really good with explaining things)

You will do fine!! It's fun!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/article103-How-To-Make-a-Gumpaste-Bow.html

Hope this helps AND welcome to CC! icon_smile.gif

dbmiller02 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:30am
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the advice. You mentioned adding something to the fondant to make it dry quicker. Do you have something in particular that you use? Also, after the bow and circles are made where do I store them until I am ready to use them? In an airtight container?

Do I need to add them to the cake at the last minute or do can I add them on Friday and leave the cake out overnight? It will have a buttercream frosting base.

Thanks so much!

I love CC already!

wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:52am
post #4 of 10

Oh I am sooo sorry...You can do a mix of 50/50..fondant to gumpaste ...or you can mix in a little gumtex to your fondant....no DONT store this in a container it needs to airdry icon_smile.gif....leave out as long as possible....you can shape on your cake just becareful because you will need to prop open your loops with waded up saran wrap or paper towels or whatever...the longer they can dry the better...don't put them in the container they won't get hard that way. icon_smile.gif

Sorry I didn't get back with you earlier

hth

Christi

dbmiller02 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 10

Christi-

Thanks for getting back to me. Looks like I am headed to the store again. You would think from the Wilton box that fondant is completely trouble free. They don't give any direction.

Is there a general rule about how long you can leave a buttercream cake out of the refrigerator? The only filling will be buttercream as well.

Michelle

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 10

As a general rule, I don't refrigerate my buttercream cakes. I only chill them if they're going to be travelling far and I want them nice and solid for the ride. On a busy weekend, I'll have my layers iced as early as Thursday for Saturday delivery. It depends on the type of cake you use. I use a doctored mix which stays fresh and moist longer than many scratch cakes.

As wgoat explained, you want your bow loops to air dry. However, the shapes that you are going to attach to the sides of the cake should be kept soft, so do store them in an airtight container. When you're ready to put them on the cake, let them sit uncovered for a few minutes so they firm up just a little. They'll be easier to handle and less likely to stretch.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 10

I just posted this video yesterday on how to make a bow.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-561339-.html

wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 10

You know I am going to say this....If I have to use Wilton Fondant a bow is what I would use it on because it is easy to work with and a bow usually doesn't get eaten BUT....I would use a different brand for the decorations that are on the bc like dots or stripes or what have you because in general those will be cut with the cake and you need a good flavor. A great thing to make (it does take a little practice to make) is MMF or Marshmallow fondant. It tastes really good and it is easy to work with if you make it right. Another thought is Satin Ice or Fondx or even the Chocopan (which I LOVE to work with you can roll REALLY thin to cover cakes with it icon_smile.gif )

Just wanted to add these things.

Have a wonderful day guys icon_smile.gif

Christi

dbmiller02 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:57am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone! I made my first bow this morning and I think it turned out pretty well. I did add some gum-tex to the fondant as you mentioned. It seems to be drying. I hope it will stay up when I take out the Saran Wrap.

You all have been so helpful. I will post a picture when the cake is complete.

Michelle

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:19am
post #10 of 10

I can't wait to see your bow.
Here's a tip..I use the premade Wilton gumpaste for items like bows, I think it does better than fondant, here's a bow I made a couple of weeks ago
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1095933.html
I cut the individual pieces and brushed both sides of each piece with a mixture of pearl white luster dust and everclear. It dried overnight.

Jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%