How Do I Price 3-D Gumpaste Figurines

Business By cakegirl68 Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 1:22pm by cakegirl68

cakegirl68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl68 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 7

I am new to this and I really do not know how to price them, I think people is taking advantage of me, someone wants a cake Halloween themed with witches, ghosts, black cats, cementery, etc....... for $80.00 and if you guys don't mind looking at my witch and my halloween scultures you'll see that this is ridiculous. Please help me I really don't know how much I should ask for the witch. Thank you.

6 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 7

I charge:

Basic 2-4" figure (not resembling a particular character or person): $10-15 each

Cartoon character (or something that I have to copy and get "right"): $15 - 20 each

Caricature or a person (from photo): $25-50 (depending on setting/clothing)

If I charge $15-20 for a fondant bow, I'm surely going to charge extra for figures.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 7

Your figures are adorable, I would not charges less than $15 ea for the witch or vampire, and $5-$10 ea for the smaller ones like the ghosts and pumpkins.

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 7

i agree! there is way tooooo much work in your figures to be free. sometimes i find i spend more time working on a figure than decorating the cake.....an my figures are not as intricate as yours!

so, think about how much you spend in materials per figure. then, think of how long it takes you to finish a figure. next, come up with a price that you feel is fair and worth your time.

also, check out the website below....

http://www.deandeluca.com/halloween_marzipan_figurines.aspx

your figures are more detailed than these!

good luck!

beth

cakegirl68 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for responding it really help me a lot, again thank you so much.

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:36am
post #6 of 7

Sounds cheap. To some extent, though, on how many figures, how big a cake, sheet cake or layer. You might not do too badly if it's a sheet cake with two or three figures. They look pretty well done, though. I bet they take you some time. What are you using, marzipan? gum paste?

cakegirl68 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 7

I am using gumpaste and fondant with CMC, for example the witch took me apprx. 1hr. to make it, you know you have to make every little detail... every thing is done by hand I didn't use any molds, I appreciate you're advise. The witch is about 4 inches tall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%