I Made A Big Mistake

Decorating By mami2sweeties Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 10:45am by adven68

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 12

Please help me sort it out.

My sister in law wanted me to do a cake for her parents 40th anniv party.
1. I only do cakes for friends and family
2. Most people I give them a quote and pay over what I say because I charge way less than a bakery.
3. I try to be selective.

She asked for a tiered cake to feed 75. I told her I needed to see a pic. I would charge her $85 for the cake.

This cake morphed from 75 servings to a full size wedding cake for 150 because they would only cut from the back and leave the front untouched since it is a drop in style party. They wanted a replica of the orginal cake.

I don't even have a 16 inch pan to make the cake. I had orginally told them the name and phone number of 2 cakes stores they should try out. I explained if the orginal order was for a wedding cake of 150 servings that I would not have done it because I only have 1 oven. It would take me a long time to bake those layers. I would have needed a 16, 12, 8 and 6 in tiers. Royal icing daisies and red roses and rose buds. I think I do a good job and many people say that to me but for me this is a hobby/ability I lend to my closest friends. I told her that since her order and expectations changed she should go to the bakery. The bakery agreed to do it for $400.

I feel really bad but I explained myself and partially since I am not a professional home baker I didn't have any kind of contract type agreement. She isn't angry at me. But this is my first time of meeting up with someone that wants professional work for rock bottom prices. I don't get it. They will pay the bakery but not me. I did not ask for $400 but once the order got to the bakery it was very specific.

I felt roped in.

11 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 12

I don't understand.... why do you feel " roped in " ? I understood you told her you could not do it.... I'm confused...

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 12

I'm not sure what you are asking--- are you feeling bad that you didn't accept the order? It sounds like there are no hard feelings on her end....you can only do what your supplies/time will allow.

I think they are paying you"rock bottom" because that's what you offer. But they will pay you more if you set your prices according to the bakeries around you.

There will be other cakes...and maybe this will be motivation to set up a price list that you are happy with. Sounds like your biz will be growing.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 12

I think you did the correct thing in sending them to a bakery where they would have to pay for the work they want instead of expecting you to make it for rock bottom $$! Ya know, I am all about getting the best deal possible but I don't use people and I don't like people using me!
Sorry you are having to even think about this but glad you sent them to the bakery. thumbs_up.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 12

I'm sorry this happened to you.
When you said they wanted a replica of the original cake, what exactly do you mean?
They want 2 cakes that serve 75 each?
They want a cake just like their wedding cake plus cake to serve to the guests?

I'm icon_confused.gif

Jibbies

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 12

What's a "drop in style" party? I've never heard of that dunce.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 12

"What's a "drop in style" party? I've never heard of that"

I would think it is the same as what we call an "open house".... you just drop in.... have a bite to eat, talk a little small talk, and you are out the door....... say anytime between 1:00 and 5:00, or what ever time limits you want.....

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2sweeties

This cake morphed from 75 servings to a full size wedding cake for 150 because they would only cut from the back and leave the front untouched since it is a drop in style party. They wanted a replica of the orginal cake.

Ok, perhaps it is my lack of experience talking, but how in the world do they plan to cut a tiered cake that is still assembled?!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 12

Mia...we are wondering the same thing. icon_confused.gif

If they try the "cut from the back" trick, they are going to need two people standing near by. One to catch the falling cake and one to yell "TIMBER"

mommachris

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:55am
post #10 of 12

All of you questions are things I can't answer. I had the same questions and because she was so confused it made me want to run like the wind.

My sil told me that his how her mother explained it to her. That in her day the cake was sliced from behind. Only one row of cake was removed and then they moved up to the next tier. I couldn't really picture it either or why you would take that chance but they are. Since it is family, if the cake fell, I did not want that on me.

Like I said. I really did not expect to make money off of it. I am not a liscensed bakery or anything. It is just something I know how to do and don't mind sharing but these people got really confusing fast and kept changing what they wanted and I figured I was better off escaping while I had the chance.

Also to clarify, her orginal thought was just a two tiered cake for 75 and I thought that was easy enough. But once her mom found out about the party that was supposed to be a surprise the order changed to a 4 tier full wedding cake. I said no. I think I have the ability but couldn't do it in such a short notice which to me a week is too fast. I have 3 children and I homeschool.

So, I know not everyone will understand but the reason I felt "weird" about the whole thing was because I felt like I was approached because they really didn't want to pay $400 from the start but that is what ended up happening. I feel bad for my sil because it really doesn't seem to be her changing thing but her mom. I know it is all confusing but I learned alot from this.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:17am
post #11 of 12

hey mami2,
I homeschool also. " thumbs_up.gif
I have eight children but only five are being taught by me this year. One is in her first year of college....she can't drive yet so I am her "taxi".
The other two are just babies so when I say I am too busy to bake for others, I'm not just kidding. icon_lol.gif

Nice to meet a fellow homeschool teacher/ cake decorator. icon_biggrin.gif

I agree with you on saying "no" to such a large order. Better to let the family pay for it than do it for them and have something go wrong.
At least if they are unhappy in the end, it won't be at you. icon_razz.gif

mommachris

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:45am
post #12 of 12

I think it's great that you recognized your limitations and didn't take on a job you couldn't handle. It would have totally stressed you out.

I'm sure it would have been nice for SIL to pay less with you, but, oh well....

I'm glad she understood.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%