Help Suggest Cake To Go With Fondant (Wilton Course 3!)

Decorating By soozun Updated 15 Oct 2007 , 4:42pm by tonedna

soozun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozun Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:29am
post #1 of 8

Hi all. If you could help me, I have some questions about making a cake covered with basic fondant (flavored with almond extract):

I'm taking Wilton course 3 and I have to make the present cake. What kind of cake, frosting and filling is a good combination of flavors to put under fondant? I have never tasted fondant. What tastes good with fondant? Can I put chocolate under the white fondant, or will that show through somehow?

I'm always interested in getting some tips in advance so that I can plan to succeed rather than make a creative mess (as I usually end up with!)

Thanks!!!

7 replies
rlicup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlicup Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:37am
post #2 of 8

I just made my present cake last week!

I made a devil's food cake with bavarian cream filling. Then covered with buttercream icing. Then I decided to make it a little different from the book by using chocolate fondant to cover and pink ribbons and decorations.

I just posted the picture!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:43am
post #3 of 8

if your taking the class and using the wilton fondant it doesnt matter the flavor of the cake...wilton fondant is not the best tasting cake...even though is great for the class...

soozun Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry, I meant to specify that my teacher is allowing us to make our own fondant and she gave us a recipe for a basic rolled fondant that is flavored with almond extract. She said we could use a marshmallow fondant but did not have a recipe for it. I think I will stick with her recipe for now because she said she has had good results with it. I'm nervous to try fondant but I want to make it from scratch so that it tastes good! It is made from powdered sugar, plain gelatin, white Karo syrup, glycerin, and a little crisco, almond extract and water. It sounds strange to me! But at least it will be fresh made.

soozun Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlicup

I just made my present cake last week!

I made a devil's food cake with bavarian cream filling. Then covered with buttercream icing. Then I decided to make it a little different from the book by using chocolate fondant to cover and pink ribbons and decorations.

I just posted the picture!

I'll check out your pic. thanks!

honeybearcreek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybearcreek Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 8

I have to bake, fill and ice my cake today for Tuesday's class too! I'm just keeping it simple - yellow doctored cake mix with almond extract, almond buttercream for filling and icing and I'm thinking about flavoring the Satin Ice fondant with a bit of almond too. Can you tell I love almond??? LOL Best of luck.

Our instructor is also letting us do what we want - it's just my mom and I in the class! We got the Wilton mini fall cookie cutters shaped in leaves, pumpkins and apples. Gonna go for some sort of autumn theme.

Have fun!

Hugs,
Diana in VA

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 8

Sounds adorable! I finished Course 2 a few weeks ago and made my final project oval cake in buttercream with the royal flowers that we worked on for weeks in oranges, yellows, black for Halloween! I was happy with how it turned out, only my buttercream was too soft, too much butter, not enough Crisco for the basketweave. Live and learn . . . I am taking Course 3 in Nov., can't wait! Good luck, love your fall theme!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 8

Good luck with your cake...I tell my studentsall the time work with pre bought fondant the first time so you know how it feels and after that start working on your recipees...like everything some recipees are good and some are not so good...Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%