I Need To Vent (Long)

Lounge By Pootchi Updated 21 Dec 2006 , 1:29pm by Pootchi

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:15am
post #1 of 21

First, I need to apologise because it's going to be long....

This afternoon, I was preparing dinner, and my 12 y-o didn't show up after school. So I thought he had to stay aftershool or something. So I was going to get him. First I had to deliver a cake, the woman was supposed to pick it up but since I was leaving my house, I thought I might deliver it (she lives just in front of me). I told her my son didn't come home aftershool and she said that her son wasn't home yet either. So now I'm getting worried. So I went to the school, and I saw lots of cars, police cars with lights on, a bus with all the lights on, and a really big crowd of people. Now I was saying all the bad words I know!!! And I got sick to my stomach. I got out of my car and one woman was crying and saying there was a boy with a gun outside the school and that the kids were locked in their classroom with their teachers, for their safety. I got back in my car and drove to my mom's. She went to my house to take care of my 2 youngest, I left my car at my mom's and my dad drove me back there. I stayed with a few parents I know, and we didn't get any info for one entire hour!!!!!!!! All we saw was some cops on snowmobiles (yes we have snow here) patrolling in the woods around the school. At around 5:15 they told us to go to the College, they were sending the kids there, one grade at a time. My son his in the 1st grade of high school, so he was one of the first to come in. I was so relieved to hold him in my arms again. I gave him a big kiss on the chick, and all he had to stay was to stop that!!! He didn't know what had happened. Alle he knew was that there was a lot of police officer in the school and that he couldn't leave his classroom. Let me tell you that he won't go to school tomorrow. NO WAY!!!!!! And there's a lot of parents that will do the same....

I was worried sick, I just can't described how I felt. it's such a strong emotion. I'm so mad, we still don't know anything. Did they catch the guy?? I don't know... I didn't need that kind of emotions....

My son told me that since they didn't know anything, lots of people were saying all kinds of things, and got scared!!! And some were in shock (I would've been too) ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really needed to write this entire thing.... I feel a little better.... Now I'm going to make myself a coffee.... If only I had some baileys to put in it....

Thanks for reading me

Lorris

20 replies
gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:30am
post #2 of 21

OMG, that's so scary! icon_surprised.gif I'm glad nothing happened to him! Now take deep breaths and try to relax! (where's that Bailey's when you need it?!)

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:37am
post #3 of 21

icon_surprised.gif OMG Pootchi!! That is horrible!! I'm so thankful that your son is okay and that no one got hurt!! I wouldn't send my kids back tomorrow either....

Big hugs to you and family, ~Denise

Pootchi Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:40am
post #4 of 21

thanks to both, I so needed your kind words...

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:41am
post #5 of 21

you just went through one tramatic experience!!!!!!!!! Forget the baileys in coffee and just go for the whole dang bottle. I can't blaim you if you don't want to send your son to school tomorrow or ever again. Unfortunantly things like are happening more and more in todays world. I sometimes wonder what my kids school would do in a situation like this. I'm scared to even think about it happening in the first place. Sorry, that I'm rambling but I can't imagine what must be going through your mind. I'm just glad that he's safe at home now with you.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:52am
post #6 of 21

wow that is so scary. i feel that the school should have called all the parents or released a statement on the tv somehow. this is not the first time i have heard of parents not knowing anything. i understand not wanting to cause panic but it feels really weong for a parentto not know when their child has been put in danger. i am with you i would not send my kids for the rest of the week. i hope you and your community get more info soon.

i recently saw something on the news that i plan on going to the school with http://www.raptorware.com/ i think this program is a fabulous idea and think every school in the world should have it. take a look!!!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:03am
post #7 of 21

Good Grief, Pootchie, what an awful experience! I've seen these stories on the news and always thought about how helpless the parents and families have to feel! Hope you find out what the trouble was soon, so you'll know what to do about going back to the school.

Hope you are able to settle down and relax a little now that you are all home safe! Janice

Pootchi Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:35am
post #8 of 21

Well, me and my son spent the entire evening all snugged up on the couch with a big blanky watching Deal or no Deal and the new show Identity. And we talked about what happened today. I wanted to make him talk, to make he was ok. He said he was scared but calm. But he feels he's lucky to ba alive. Poor thing. He spent all evening telling me that he loves me....

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 4:24am
post #9 of 21

Oh boy, what a horrifying experience for all of you. The school and the police officers should have kept the parents informed on what was going on, this is just unacceptable. I'm just glad nothing happened.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 11:34am
post #10 of 21

WOW....that is so scary. So sorry that you had to go through that. Just glad to hear that your son and the other kids are fine.

This is the kind of stuff that scares me for when it's time for my little ones to go to school.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:18pm
post #11 of 21

Wow! How scary! I can't believe you knew nothing! I hope your son doesn't have any long term effects from such a traumatic experience. I am so glad that everything is ok!

bigboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigboots Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 21

WoW.Glad everyone is safe.So sorry you and your son had to go
through that.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 21

That had to have been extremely scary Pootchi...but be glad that your son was alive. That means that his school had a plan for what to do if something like this happened...it obviously needs some work because a complete lack of communication is uncalled for in my eyes.
My son's school district also has a plan on what to do if an intruder camem into the school. The teachers lock the classroom door and stay in a corner that would not be visible from the door. The school goes into a lockdown and an announcement is made overhead. I know they have done at least 2 practice drills with this.
It's so sad that life has come to this that now in addition to tornado and fire drills, schools also have to practice intruder drills.

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:21pm
post #14 of 21

I have heard of this going on, on the news. But thats amazing for an elementary school (he is in elementary school right?) It seems like you just cant trust anyone. I know some of the schools around where I am (Texas) have metal detectors on all of the doors and some you even have to have a clear backpack.

Pootchi Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 8:50pm
post #15 of 21

Actually it's High school. Here in Quebec, we have elementary from 1st to 6th grade, and after that Secondary school (High school) from 1st to 5th grade. and than they can go to College.

Now, about that incident... They arrested someone, but it seems that this guy had a small shot gun that he was returning to his friend. Someone saw him walking in the street with it and called 911, since he was so close to the school. He returned the gun to his friend and then went back to his house. So he had nothing against anyone, but it was scary for everyone. We'll know this week what he'll be charged for, since it wasn't a proper way to carry a gun. The good thing is that we know that the school has a plan. But still.... My son will go back to school tomorrow. I heard that only a few went to school today. They had people to answer the kids' questions and to reassure them, but my son wanted to be home with me, and that's fine with me!!

Glad to know that they weren't really in danger though....

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 12:33am
post #16 of 21

Thank the Lord every night that you go to sleep (although I'm sure you do already!) It's sickening to have to live our lives this way. What the heck has this world come to!

oolala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oolala Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 1:22am
post #17 of 21

First of all ,, thank God your son is alright.. that's the most important thing.
Did they have the "dirt bag" icon_evil.gif in custody ? Maybe this idiot was depressed about the Holidays and wanted to take it out on kids. Did someone get shot ? I would be scared to death if it was my son in that situation.
If someone got shot, the least I can say is that, I hope it was not someone innocent but the dirt bag himself, in which I really have no compassion for.

Again Thank God your son is OK.. take care of yourself usaribbon.gif

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 4:04am
post #18 of 21

I'm so sorry you and your son and others had to go through this, but I'm glad they weren't hurt physically. Did the school offer any kind of counseling for the children? It's terrible what our children have to endure these days just to get an education. My son is in high school, but we had a "massacre" threat at his school last year and I didn't let my children go to school that day. I hope you're all doing well now and will have a great holiday.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 4:38am
post #19 of 21

The person that called 911 did the right thing. Who would think someone would have a good reason to walk down the street with a gun.

What a scare. I feel so bad, it will take a while for you to get pass this.

Thank you for sharing your story. It will help make parents know their children's school needs to have a plan in place. It seems no one is safe anywhere.

Thinking about you

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 11:28am
post #20 of 21

Oh, Lorris, that's so scary; I can't imagine the anguish you went through yesterday. My thoughts will be with you & your family this season for sure. Thank goodness the school had a plan - even if it does need some work!

You're lucky to have a son that will sit & talk to his mom, and let himself be comforted! Little blessings everywhere...

Maureen

Pootchi Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 1:29pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks again everyone!!! I knew by coming in here I'll get some cheer up!! My son is ok now. He spoke with some of his friends about this whole things, at least he gets his emotions out. One of our neighbor's daugther had to go to the hospital because she had an anxiety (sp?) attack. On the news, they said that they'll prepare a better plan. They learned from mistakes they've done, so if it happens again (but we won't wish for it) they'll be more prepared. It's like last year, we had big forest fires surrounding the town, they didn't have a plan, now they do!! We almost got evacuated!! We live in a town of 7000 people, so people tends to think that nothing happens in little towns... WRONG!!!! Glad everything's over!!!!

Thanks again all my CC friends icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%