Green Frosting???

Decorating By cakefreak92 Updated 19 Dec 2006 , 6:47pm by Eren

cakefreak92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefreak92 Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 11

I am having a problem w/ my green frosting. It wants to breakdown and seperate. Am I using to much coloring? To get the christmas green that I want it takes a little more of the wilton's kelly green. Also, my christmas red... I had to use alot of red,red/no taste redand christmas red to even come close to a true christmas red. What do you use to get a bright red color? Thanks and God bless, Donna

10 replies
sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 11

I use the Witlon red red, no taste red and christmas red to get a vibrant red color. Also, I use the wilton kelly green and have had no problem with it breaking down. Don't know what could be causing this. Sorry.

AZrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZrunner Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 11

Definitely use the Americolor brand for red. And black, whenever you have found the brand. You should be fine with Wilton's green. Perhaps it's the icing. I've never had a problem with Wilton's any green gels in BBC, royal icing, fondant or gumpaste.
Hmmm. . . .

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 11

Are you using an icing recipe that contains Crisco? If you are, you may have used some old Crisco (yes, Crisco has an expiration date icon_eek.gif )and that is causing the color to separate. I had that happen to me once and when I tried again with some new Crisco sticks, my problem went away.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 11

I use Americolor Red Red & Wilton burgandy to get a really deep red color. Just a touch of burgandy though....I think it gives it depth. I also use Americolor green mixed with Wilton Kelly green to get a deep green color. Hope this helps.

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 11

I've had trouble with the Wilton Green. I used part leaf green and part willow green on the stacked dino cake in my photos. It looked great but the next morning it looked like I'd polka dotted it with white. Now I make up green the old fashioned way, Yellow and Blue then add the Wilton green of choice to my base color.

As far as Red goes, nothing beats a base of Cherry Koolaide. Takes hardly any red gels after that but it is a little on the tart side. icon_surprised.gif

And for Black I always start with Chocolate BC. If you use a Dark cocoa powder the gel coloring is hardly even needed. thumbs_up.gif

Just my two cents. icon_biggrin.gif

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 11

Also remember that your colors will get darker as they dry. What may look a tad light now will look truer once the Medium is dry.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 11

Wnen I am going for really bright colors I reduce the liquid used in the frosting and then I can use more of the coloring. I just started using Americolor and I like it much better than the Wion colors. I get a richer color much faster with it.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:02am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrchaser

Also remember that your colors will get darker as they dry. What may look a tad light now will look truer once the Medium is dry.

Definately! Colors will darken as they dry! I also concur with everyone on Americolors! They are the only way to go especially for a true red and true black!

Amy

cakefreak92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefreak92 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you so much for your help. Where do I find Americolor? Can I buy it retail? Thanks, Donna

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 11

I used Wilton pink as a base color (doesn't need much) and then added no-taste red until I got it pretty close to where I needed. It did darken a little bit the next day to get nice and bright. I will post a picture of the cake soon (peppemint candy). I haven't been able to buy to Americolor and only have access to Wilton, and it worked OK for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%