Supplies Needed For Wilton Course I???

Decorating By korensmommy Updated 19 Dec 2006 , 12:00pm by SILVERCAT

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 12

Hi!
I will finally be able to take the Wilton Course I in January & was wondering what supplies were needed for this course. My wonderful mom has requested this info for my birthday (Jan 3rd) gift!!
I am in Boston, I don't know if that matters, or if the supplies are the same for every Wilton I Course.
Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 12

They sell a kit that has all the stuff needed for Course 1 at Michaels. But the contents of that kit are as follows:

7 DECORATING TIPS: 3, 12, 16, 21, 2D AND LEAF 67

3 DECORATING BAGS 2 REUSABLE & 1 DISPOSABLE

FLOWER NAIL #7 -

SMALL COMFORT GRIP SPATULA

DECORATING BRUSH & PRACTICE BOARD

korensmommy Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks so much~~I have most of that already!

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 12

Make sure you have lots of powder sugar & cisco sticks...LOL

korensmommy Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 12

Good point...forgot about that!
I can probably find an after-holiday sale & stock up.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 12

I inquired about Jan classes at Michaels and they didn't have that info yet! Where did you find the class info so soon? I have already told my hubby thats what I want to do after the holidays!

Justenjoyingit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justenjoyingit Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 12

You will also need 8" round cake pans and all that goes with that (cakeboard, something to cover board, etc...)

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 12

Hi Korensmommy,
I would say the easiest thing to do would be to got to Michael's, if there is one in your area and get the Course 1 Student Kit, they run about 29.99. If this is not an option then these are the items in the Student Kit 1:
Flower Nail # 7
Tip Brush
2 Standard Couplers
Decorator Brush
2 10 inch Featherweight Decorator Bags
Small Straight Spatula
Practice Board Set
and the following tips:
3, 12, 16, 21, 104, 67, and 2D
When I took Wilton Course 1 we didn't take anything to the first class. We went and she showed us what we were going to learn and gave us our books, showed us how to make buttercream icing and then started showing us decorating techniques. Then we went out into the store and she showed us what we would need for the remainder of the course. Hope this helps.
Bradymom

korensmommy Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 12

Silvercat~~I am taking it at AC Moore, it's much closer than Michaels. It's not on their calendar either, but I called them directly & they gave me all the info.

Thanks so much to everyone else for your help!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 12

The Course one kit is $19.99 (you can use a 40% discount to buy that) and I always suggest you get extra couplers, bags (of course!) and tips - specifically the #3, 16 and 104 so you don't have to wash them if you want to use a different colored icing. Another item that is very handy to have is a turn table, the cheapo Wilton one works fine. You'll be required to bring a cake to class for lessons 2, 3, and 4 - and icing to practice and decorate them with. I also suggest that my students bring extra bowls, lids to cover them, and spatulas to mix the different textures and colors of icing in. Putting all the items in a clothes basket to carry to class helps too! icon_wink.gif

Bradymom is correct, the first class you just watch and listen to the instructor and take notes!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 9:38pm
post #11 of 12

I knew I was going to want to decorate and not just take the classes and the tools get dusty from disinterest. (They are getting dusting from lack of time....lol). I bought the large kit at michaels (I had a 50% off coupon from a competitor) so I got it for around $65. I love it because it came with so much stuff and it keeps much of my stuff organized. It contains everything you need for the class 1 and much much more.

Judi

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:00pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by korensmommy

Silvercat~~I am taking it at AC Moore, it's much closer than Michaels. It's not on their calendar either, but I called them directly & they gave me all the info.

Thanks so much to everyone else for your help!!

Believe it or not our AC Moores & Michaels are side by side! I will be calling AC Moores to see if they have the schedule out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%