Curious Does Anyone Know

Baking By luvhavinbgtwins Updated 17 Dec 2006 , 3:51am by 7yyrt

luvhavinbgtwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvhavinbgtwins Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 10

Why on sugar cookies some recipes have reg butter and some ask for unsalted please let me know........

I am new to all this baking and I dont see the difference..

9 replies
Ray75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ray75 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 10

I was always told to use unsalted when baking, as to why I'm not sure, maybe cuz you can always add salt but not take away?

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 10

The issue is the amount of salt in the butter. Using unsalted butter allows you to add the specific amount called for in the recipe. If the recipe calls for 1/2 tsp salt and unsalted butter (for instance) and you put in 1/2 tsp salt but use salted butter, you are adding more salt than is called for which can affect the texture and taste of the cookie. I always, always use unsalted butter in all my baking.

lindav76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindav76 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 10

I was out of UNsalted butter and had to make a cake, so i made my imbc with regular butter. my icing was very salty so i learned not to use salted butter but to way and go buy unsalted butter ,you CAN tell the difference .it ended up in the garbage can ......just sharing

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 10

lindav76,

Your post interested me, as some decorators add salt to their frosting to cut the perception of sweetness.

I usually use salted butter, because it's readily available at the Sam's Club. And because I can't really tell any difference between a recipe using salted vs. unsalted butter.

Guess I have very dull taste buds icon_smile.gif

However, after reading this article, it may be that the Sam's Club butter isn't heavily salted:

http://www.ochef.com/553.htm

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 10

I use unsalted and once and a while will accidently get salted so I eliminate the salt called for in the recipe. Doing that will avoid it becoming too salty.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 10

Different salted butters have different amounts of salt in them. All unsalted butters have no salt. That is why some recipes ask for unsalted butter but then ask you to add whichever measurement of salt they want you to add. HTH.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 10

Different salted butters have different amounts of salt in them. All unsalted butters have no salt. That is why some recipes ask for unsalted butter but then ask you to add whichever measurement of salt they want you to add. HTH.

lindav76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindav76 Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 1:41am
post #9 of 10

JanH ,
i bought mine at walmart and i do put 1 teaspoon of salt in my regular buttercream just to avoid so much sweetness ,i guess that since i had tried imbc with unsalted butter ,then tasted this salty icing .i did notice the difference thanks

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 3:51am
post #10 of 10

I believe that it very seldom makes any difference at all. I'm cheap. I use regular, salted butter because it's cheaper.
You CAN always taste before you add the salt in a recipe. Use say, half the salt and taste it; add more if you want to. Trust your taste buds.
Remember - Cooking is an art, based on a science.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%