Need Help Please!!!

Decorating By redCinnamonbear Updated 12 Oct 2007 , 10:58am by SuHwa

redCinnamonbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redCinnamonbear Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:03am
post #1 of 7

I am new here and also a beginner on cake decorating.
My daughter's 10th B-Day is this Sunday. I have purchased a beginners cake decorating kit. I have attempted to make drop flowers. But it looks like a snail that was stepped on. I then attempted to make a rose on the nail, only to look like it was wilted. icon_cry.gif

I am in need of a good recipe for white frosting/icing for her cake and help on easy but cute flower ideas. I have 2 10" round cake pans, the tips are #3, #12, #67,#16, #104,#21, #2D, 2 couplers, 3 featherlight bags. (2- 10's and a 14)

She wants a flower garden.....

Thank You! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
MissMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMoore Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:06am
post #2 of 7

Did the beginners kit you bought include a book? Wilton's cake decorating #1 walks you through some basic flowers. Aside from that, for a nice white, yet simple icing; use the Wilton Buttercream. Powder sugar, shortening, clear vanilla and milk. let me know if you need that recipe.

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:07am
post #3 of 7

I sounds to me like your icing isn't stiff enough. I don't do flowers very often, but I do use this recipe a lot and it is stiff enough to make your flowers and very tasty too. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2075-Crusting-Buttercream-Icing-VIVA-Method.html. You should also visit the wilton site as they have a video on the rose, and several step by step instructions for their other flowers.

redCinnamonbear Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:20am
post #4 of 7

No it did not come with a book. It was a Wilton Course 1 kit.
I picked up a book and it has nice ideas. But I don't have a lot of the tips that were shown.

Miss Moore- any recipes are great..Thanks.
SuHwa - Thanks! Would that recipe also work for the main cake "frosting"?

Thanks so much!

SuHwa Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:22am
post #5 of 7

It works great as the cake frosting. Just thin a portion of it a bit before coating your cake.

By the way, welcome to CC!

redCinnamonbear Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:19am
post #6 of 7

Thanks!

For 2 cake pans that are 10"x2" , do I need 1 or 2 cake boxes?

SuHwa Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:58am
post #7 of 7

I use Duncan Hines mixes and they have this chart below on their website, http://www.duncanhines.com/newDuncan/pub/faq/

*note* There are separate instructions for white vs other flavors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%