Cookie Disaster

Baking By QueenoftheHill Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 3:21am by fiddlesticks

QueenoftheHill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenoftheHill Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 19

I tried Karen's cookies and it was a major flop. It smelled yummy and tasted yummy but I couldn't roll it it was soooo gooey. I guess I'll try nfsc tonight. icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif

18 replies
christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 19

I roll my "fresh" dough between two sheets of parchment paper, then place in fridge until firm. Remove top paper and cut out.

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 19

The first time I made Karen's cookies I thought it was the best dough ever to roll. Then the second time I made them I had the same problem as you, they were too gooey. But I know the second time I didn't add as much flour as you were suppose to.

Did you adjust the ingredients at all?

GLEIGH75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GLEIGH75 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 19

Sounds like there wasn't enough flour. You could either add more or refrigerate for a while to chill the dough. I typically use the NFSC recipe and haven't had any issues (knock on wood). Sorry that happened to you icon_sad.gif

QueenoftheHill Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 19

You gals are so supportive. I followed the ingredients exactly. I don't what happened. I'mm going to do nfsc now and post later.

QueenoftheHill Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 19

Here are some pics of my 1st nfsc dough. Does it look about right?
LL

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:43am
post #7 of 19

To me, it does not look right. On my screen, your batter/dough looks more like icing. Mine will always get crumbly, then as you let it mix more, it will form almost a clump or a ball. Is your dough sticky to the touch? Mine never is once you have everything incorporated.
In the picture, had you added everything?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:00am
post #8 of 19

HI Sorry but thats not how the NFSC dough should look! I use it alll the time thats to wet !! It shouldnt be sticky at all !! hth !

QueenoftheHill Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:47am
post #9 of 19

Yeah I figured...lol I added way more flour to it. I don't get it. I add the right amt of flour per recipe and I can't get it. Anyway I finally got it to a working consistency. I learned so much today it's crazy. Here are some pics of the finished product. I added rbc that I made yesterday. I've never worked with fondant so I have nothing to compare it to but I loved the taste. It was fairly easy to work with. It looks like the cookies spread a little bit. Ne who here it tips are so welcome and encouraged. I'm going to add RI embelishments i'll post pics later.
LL
LL
LL
LL

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:43am
post #10 of 19

Your cookies look great -- love the colors! Can't wait to see them finished.

How are you measuring your flour? You can either measure by weight. Or you can use the spoon and level method.

http://www.pbs.org/everydayfood/tips/tip_12.html

Also, how soft was your butter? Don't leave it out too long.

Hope this helps.

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:19am
post #11 of 19

Also the size of your eggs may be a factor too. they are liquid after all.

imsamiam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imsamiam Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:31am
post #12 of 19

What is NFCS??? I'm a little bit of a newby and these abbreviations drive me crazy! I'm sure I'll grow to love them but learning the language is taking some time icon_smile.gif Glad your cookies turned out!

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:41am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsamiam

What is NFCS??? I'm a little bit of a newby and these abbreviations drive me crazy! I'm sure I'll grow to love them but learning the language is taking some time icon_smile.gif Glad your cookies turned out!

Welcome to CC! NFSC stands for No Fail Sugar Cookies. Here is a link to a page of acronyms. HTH

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:42am
post #14 of 19

Sorry I forgot to add the link! LOL Let's try that again!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

imsamiam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imsamiam Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:25pm
post #15 of 19

TY, TY, TY! icon_rolleyes.gif

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #16 of 19

Having just made NFSC cookies for the first time last night, I have to say that your dough looks too wet. Mine came together really nicely like cakeatopia said. Also, I rolled mine out between two sheets of parchment and I LOVED it...what a great idea!
Loved the RBC...it looks so clean. I'll have to try it. I had my first attempt at NFSC with Antonia74's Royal Icing and they look awful icon_cry.gif
But both recipes are great...apparently I'm not as talented as I thought icon_sad.gif
I've never decorated cookies before...thought it would be simple icon_redface.gif
I think my problem was with the tip I was using (it was a #3, I think it was too big) and learning how to control the amount of pressure I use.
I'm just discouraged...I'd love to make a career out of this one day after the kiddies are all grown up, so it was frusturating to see my first attempt come out a disaster. Not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any helpful tips?

Your cookies look great, can't wait to see them with the RI accents!

Chrisy

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:56pm
post #17 of 19

cmyoung5 Hi have you tried Toba.s glaze ?? I like it very much !! Also Im not sure where you got your NFSC recipe ? but kitchengifts.com has lots of tips for it on their site ! HTH

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:08am
post #18 of 19

I haven't tried Toba's glaze yet, but I'm planning on it. I got the NFSC recipe here on CC...I liked that my, the cookies were great before I killed them with my terrible decorating icon_razz.gif
My outlining was terrible, the line kept breaking. Filling in went ok, but then when I was trying to add some details and it came out awful. I probably should've used a thinner tip and I kept forgetting to stop applying pressure when I was done with what I was writing.
Oh well...live and learn. Hopefully it will go better next time.

Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to check out that website.

Chrisy

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:21am
post #19 of 19

HEY.. It does take lots of practice ! ( I hate the P word ) I use a tip 3 with Toba's glaze. It probably also depends on the size of the cookie. I mostly make the 4-5inch cookies !!! I looked at the pics, I didnt think they were that bad at all. The cookies did spread a little. but over all they look pretty good for the first time ! I love the NFSC ! ONCE YOU GET IT RIGHT ( What works for you ) it turns out every time !! JMO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%