Anyone Know About The Gameboy's?

Lounge By jjbrink Updated 19 Dec 2006 , 6:18am by jjbrink

jjbrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjbrink Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 16

does anyone know anyone about the gameboy's? my daughter, 6, is wanting one for christmas. i was looking around and seen the game boy micro, which looks to be really tiny. i have only seen it on the computer...i was wondering if the screen would eventually make her eyes hurt from it being so small. i also seen the game boy advance. any one have any suggestions on the best type of game boy to get?

i have never really felt like i was getting out of touch and feeling so "Old" until i picked up the phone to call my husbands younger brother to ask! and i am only 25! things change so much so fast, ugh icon_confused.gif

15 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 16

my kids have the Advances. They are nice, and sturdy, my 4 yo still hasn't managed to break his. Rechargeable, so you don't have to worry about batteries, just plug it in at night.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 16

yes and the screen is lit. love love that its rechargeable. i think the micro is way to small.

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 16

I just bought the micro. It is small but the screen doesn't seem to small to me. I bought it for my 4 yr old and 2 yr old. My 4 yr old needs a lot of hand and eye coordination exercies and the games are great for that. It's perfect for small hands.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 16

We have 2 of the game boy advance sp's...yes 2. I'm talking about the ones that fold up.

I really like them, our boys really like them. They will also play the older (larger) games.

I really like the fact that they can fold up, less damage to the screen and buttons.

Good Luck!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 16

well lets see.... my 3 boys each have one of the old old old ones, one of the colors, 1 of the advances, and one of the sps.... and are supposed to be getting one of the ds's too....we'll see about that.... anyway, if you are going to buy one I would go for the gameboy sp... it flips up and has a lighted screen and is great....

juro1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juro1234 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 16

My son (12) just got the ds for his birthday and it flips and lights up also. It has a little stlyus(?) that you use to make it work. He would play it 24/7 if I let him.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 16

My 12 y-o has the advance, and my 8 y-o is getting one for christmas, from his godmother, to play with his brother. We have a kit to plug both gamboys together and play with each other. of course they need the same games but... at least they play together!

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 4:11am
post #9 of 16

My 6 year old has the advance and my 4 year old plays it all the time, so I bought him one for christmas, but I bought a used one at gamestop (about $20 cheaper than a brand new one)

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 5:33am
post #10 of 16

I bought the Game Boy Advance for my 8 yr old granddaughter for Christmas. The guy at Gamestop said don't waste money on the older ones, the screen is nowhere close to as good and no light. He said the older ones are good for 3 or 4 yr olds that have to have one because their older siblings do but that's about it. Of course, he sold me the more expenisve one. But I think it was the right choice.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 6:07am
post #11 of 16

Both of my kids are begging for the DS, but I worry about that stylus... I think that is probably better for older kids. I'm sure my four year old would immediately stab the screen with it, LOL. The Advance SP is great, and they are still making new games for it, even since they released the DS.

jjbrink Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 7:03am
post #12 of 16

thank you all for the help icon_lol.gif also thanks for the idea about gamestop, i have never heard of it, but i am going to go look it up now!!

jjbrink Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 5:20am
post #13 of 16

is there a game boy advance and a game boy advance sp, or are they the same thing? my MIL bought my daughter a game, but she said she asked the lady at the store if it would work for all the game boys and she told her it worked for the advance, the micro, but not for the advance sp. the game boy i am going to be getting her is the advance sp, i assume. it is the one that folds up. anyone know if there are two seperate ones??

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 7:10am
post #14 of 16

the game boy advance doesnt have a light. it doesnt fold. the game boy advance sp folds and has a light is rechargable and really wonderful for the price. the regualr game boy advance isnt rechargable and you have to sit somewhere with a light. my boys have a game boy advance and a gamer boy advance sp the regualr ones never get played and im going to take them to gamestop and trade them in for some new games.

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 11:50pm
post #15 of 16

If she just bought it brand new i would imagine it is for the sp! I dont even think you can buy old gameboy games anymore. I think the gba and the gba sp play the same games. The console ont he sp is just lit up. You should be good.

jjbrink Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 6:18am
post #16 of 16

ok everyone, i really appreciated all the help and advice!! i got the game boy advance sp. the guy at the store said it would play any game as long as it had advance on the side. once again, thank you all and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%