Cupcake Help Needed

Decorating By DelectableBeauty Updated 14 Oct 2007 , 3:56pm by KateWatson

DelectableBeauty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectableBeauty Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 8:31am
post #1 of 7

Im making cupcakes for an elementary school class. Im going for flowers and butterflies. I was wondering, when it comes to piping the flowers what would be the best frosting to use. I want something light and fluffy, that can hold like buttercream but isnt as heavy? Am I making any sense? Help would be appreciated.

R.J.

6 replies
woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:47am
post #2 of 7

This is a good recipe that I think can be lighter than real buttercream. It doesn't use butter at all. I prefer buttercream taste but some people like this better.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/snow.cfm

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 7

The whipped cream buttercream recipe that I posted here on CC is a very light, almost marshmallowy frosting. It should be good for your cupcakes.

DelectableBeauty Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:24am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the help guys.

But a new dilemma has arisen, I'm gonna try to do edible butterflies(thats not the dilemma). I saw the tutorial/article on the site and decided to give it a go, one problem though. Can I use colored pencils to color the wings, so long as they're non-toxic? I dont think I have access to food markers where I am.

Please any advice would be appreciated.

R.J.

DelectableBeauty Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 7

Anyone? Im getting alot of views but no suggestions. Ive tried contacting Jackie since shes the one who posted the article but I havent heard from her so far.

laurynrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurynrn Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 1:18am
post #6 of 7

I'm not sure about the colored pencil thing. I don't know if it would work but could you use food coloring and paint designs on the wings? Or using colored sugar crystals?

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 7

Can you go to Wilton's site and see if they have the edible pen markers? Or someone else's site "Into the Oven" maybe and see if they have them? Then you can add detail easily. I've made colorflow butterflies and flowers ahead of time, they come out really nicely and you can do them weeks ahead to save time. Or royal icing, but the colorflow comes out puffy and shiny and a pretty pastel. They are all edible, even the royal will melt on the kid's tongues. Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%