How To Make Edible Pearls

Decorating By erinmedina Updated 11 Oct 2007 , 4:24pm by havingfun

erinmedina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinmedina Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 11

how do you or what do you use to make edible pearls? the cake i have to make for next weekend wants pearls but regular pearls would be horrble to pick off before you cut it. cakemommy said in a couple of her photos that she use homemade pearls that were edible and just curious how you would do that.

one more question what is mmf? same as fondant. i have read before that peolpe say don't use wilton rolled fondant, use mmf. im still what you would call a beginner. anybodys help would be appreciated.

just thought of something else can you make roses from buttercream or just royal icing. i've practiced with royal icing.
sry thanks.

10 replies
cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 11

Here is a link for a tutorial on edible pearls.
http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm
As for the MMF it is marshmellow fondant and the recipe is here on CC which I have used to make the pearls. I found them very easy to make and usually do it while watching tv as it can be boring. Hope this helps[/url]

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 11

Cashley's advice is spot on.

they really are time consuming, but not hard, and they are beautiful when you're done. Good luck!

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 11

The answer to all of your questions can be found here on CC by using the search option. The quick answers for you are:

I make edible pearls by rolling out fondant and cutting circles using my smallest round cookie cutter. Sometimes I've used the wide end of a piping tip! Then I roll the circle into a ball and place them in a small tupperware container. Once they're all rolled, I add some pearl dust, put the lid on and shake them around until they're all coated. Easy, by timely.

MMF is fondant. It is made with marshmallows. Recipes are on here and there are plenty of discussion threads with time saving tips.

Yes, you can make roses with buttercream. You can even make them with fondant!

Good luck!

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:21am
post #5 of 11

On Earlene's tutorial, she says to let them dry slightly before dusting, and to be sure they are very dry before storing. I was surprised how LITTLE dust it really takes when you shake them. As someone suggested to me, a pair of tweezers is invaluable for placement. I made a template when I did my nephews cake for proper placement. (and also so I would know how many to make icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif )

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:13am
post #6 of 11

depending on the size of your pearls the easiest way I found was to make enough pearls for 1" side by side then measured around the pan and multiplied by the amount of pearls in one inch. Hope this helps

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:26am
post #7 of 11

I have one thing to add to the MMF. When or if you make it, make sure you coat everything, your bowl, hands, etc in crisco.

Good luck!

nl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nl3 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:36am
post #8 of 11

Thank you for all the responses for MMF and now I know what MMF stand for. I know marshmellow fondant but never heard of MMF. Thank you erinmedina for raising the question. icon_biggrin.gif

havingfun Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 11

I love Toba Garrett's Fondant - super easy to make
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2127-Toba-Garretts-fondant.html

Jealena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jealena Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 11

I am making this pearl/fondant/3tier wedding cake for Sat. and have been working on the pearls, I am using Toba's fondant. Any suggestions on placing the pearls on the sides of the cakes, I will probably use tweezers and maybe Vodka????How long should I let fondant dry before placing on pearls? I am just placing sporadically around, any hints???

havingfun Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 11

I would think royal icing or a small amount of buttercream. I put mine on a BC covered cake. There are other threads about this also. You might try a search for pearls. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%