Smbc Problems

Decorating By daisy114 Updated 11 Oct 2007 , 4:14am by moydear77

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, I FINALLY found a bc that I love the taste of but I'm having so many problems making and storing it.

I've been using the Elisa Strauss IMBC recipe and the five times I've made it now, it's always to liquidy(?). So then I have to put in the fridge for awhile so that I could continue whipping it. Once it's in the fridge though it's horrible at room temp and just melts.

Sooooo....is there anyway I could get this recipe to work OR is there a similar bc recipe that tastes as good as SMBC??

TIA!

8 replies
RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 9

Well, I make SMBC all the time. Is your butter too soft when you start the process? Are whipping the egg white and sugar mixture enough before you add the butter in?

daisy114 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 9

I thought I was. I whip the egg whites and sugar mixture way over 10 min as I find it takes a long time for my bowl to become room temp. I tried putting it in a bowl of ice water as someone had suggested but it still didn't help.

RRGibson Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 9

The butter should be still cool but softened. Not to the point that you couldn't pick it up without squishing it. I think I probabl let my mixture beat well past 10 mins. It just depends on what it looks like. You still want it to be shiny, not dry.

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 9

Hi,

I have had good luck with the Martha Stewart SMBC recipe. It is on her website. I have frozen it and thawed it and it works great and everyone loves it. hth.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 9

They two have different cooking methods. What method are you using? IMBC you add the hot sugar syrup to the whites while beating. SMBC you cook the whites with the sugar.

RRGibson Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 9

I also use Martha's recipe and it tastes almost like ice cream! It has done well by me!

daisy114 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 9

Ok, so if I make it correctly, I should be able to refrigerate the cake with fondant accents and when I take it out it shouldn't start melting when it comes to room temp?

I'll definitely try the MS recipe.

Thanks all for your tips!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:14am
post #9 of 9

I use only SMBC for all my cakes and under fondant also. Cakes will sweat only if it is humid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%