Carpal Tunnel - Anyone Had It?

Decorating By rsaun Updated 13 Jan 2007 , 8:11pm by Janette

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 8:44am
post #31 of 40

Hey Mac I made floorloaf. That is my DH sweet husbands joke with me. I had baked a meatloaf. Took all that time to cook and smell oh so good. I went to get it from the oven and WHAM. Hit the floor. I cried so hard. And he said ok we have floorloaf. So what we eat the bottom of the loaf it didn't hit the floor. He made me laugh at least. So to this day it isn't meatloaf it is floorloaf icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I laugh now but not to much that day.

I feel for you with the cakes. I would have been devasted icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Was it a personal cake or for someone else??

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 2:44pm
post #32 of 40

Rsaun, good luck with your surgery. Just do what they tell you and don't try to start back too soon.

Diane

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:32pm
post #33 of 40

Hi ~ I had carpel tunnel surgery serveral years ago. It had been a problem for a number of years and I kept putting it off. My advice is don't delay with the surgery as it can lead to permanent damage from the nerves being constricted for an extended length of time.
Oh, and before I finally had the surgery I tried all sorts of ''over the counter'' hand/wrist braces, none of which ever worked. I then had a molded brace made which did work for quite some time but then stopped giving relief.
I wish all of you who are getting the surgery, GOOD LUCK & best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:51pm
post #34 of 40

It was an ordered cake. But they got it, it just took 4 tries...LOL!!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:16pm
post #35 of 40

I have CTS which is steadily growing worse. I think alot has to do with all the decorating I have had to do recently. Probably will settle down after a month or two of not doing cakes. Of course, staying online with CC probably doesn't help ladies!! LOLL

I have used wrist splints in the past and keeping my hands warm also helps. Of course, wearing gloves and layered clothing seriously impacts my comfort during frequent "Power Surges"! But, I'm trying to use conservative treatment for now. Since I only do cakes part time it really doesn't pose the problem for me that it does for some of you.

As a nurse....yes, that's right, I'm a nurse who OBVIOUSLY doesn't follow her own directions!LOLL
I will tell US all.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY.....IT'S THE ONLY ONE GOD GAVE YOU!!!

Beth in KY

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:29pm
post #36 of 40

Rsaun,
Good luck with your surgery. I hope all goes well for you. I agree with the other posts, just follow the doctor's orders exactly and you should be fine. Please let us know how you are doing.
Bradymom

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:36pm
post #37 of 40

O man sorry about all that!
All I can tell all ya folks is.......prevention is the best medicine....
It's best to stretch before during and after any lengthy decorating sessions. (I know, a day late and a dollar short.)
It really does help.
Here's the simple exercises for that...
Hold your arm out and take your opposite hand and grab your fingers of the outstretched arm and "gently" flex your fingers back. Hold for about 5-10 seconds and relax. Do this with the other hand also.
Then there's the one where you can "make a tent" with your hand and fingers on a flat surface and then flex your hand down, hold that for about 5 seconds and then relax. Shake out your hands and stretch about every 10-20 minutes during a session and don't forget to stretch after your session and shake out your hands then too.
I know, ya'll are thinking, "sheesh, that's silly!"
But it really does work.
Being in construction using pnuematic nailers and hammers and decorating cakes for years, these "silly" exercises have saved my wrists from CTS.
I feel really bad for those who have it. I have seen way too many people that I know have to go in for surgery and never be the same after that.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:54pm
post #38 of 40

Having the surgery was the best thing I ever did! I would do it all over again if and when I need to!

icing_eater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_eater Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 5:05pm
post #39 of 40

When I was about 16, I first started having problems with cramps in my wrist. That was the year my brother and my cousin both got married within weeks of each other, and I was doing a lot of baking for their receptions. My Mom jokingly called it "baker's cramp".

A few years later, I started work as a cashier, operating a register, then worked in a deli, where I was running a manual meat slicer.
I got into cake decorating as a hobby when I was about 19 or so.
I gave up the deli job, and have now worked as a cashier/stock clerk for almost 20 years.

About 4 years ago, the years of repetitive motion from all of my jobs combined with the cake decorating, as well as the fact that I had suddenly discovered the wonders of the computer, meant that I was now experiencing the CTS symptoms, big time.
Mugs of coffee, hairbrushes, or whatever, would just fly out of my hand for no reason, or my hand would just fall asleep.

I had the surgery, and it helped for a while, but from time to time, I do experience a few of the symptoms, because I am continuing to do the same things that caused the problem in the first place, although I have tried to make some modifications.
I use a wrist support with the computer, and when I decorate, I also put on a wrist brace.

I was off work with the surgery for about 6 weeks, simply because my job required me to use my hand so much.

If I had it to do again, I think I would have consulted a chiropractor before considering the surgery.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 8:11pm
post #40 of 40

No, don't put off surgery. It is not painful, it sounds a lot worse than it is. If they told me having it done again could help more, I would do it again.

Shame on me, I should have gone back by now.

Like I said, I was using my hand the next day, you wouldn't know I had it done. About two weeks later I did a huge wedding cake with no problem.

To be very honest about it my wrist didn't start to bother me again until I found CC. I'm not being funny. I am so addicted I'm on the computer on and off all day. I'm going to get one of those things for the key board that is suppose to help. I already got one for the mouse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%