Flaming Or Smoking Cake

Decorating By peggy4488 Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 12:17pm by peggy4488

peggy4488 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peggy4488 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:59am
post #1 of 9

I want to make a dragon cake with special effects for a contest. Does anyone have any technical help they can give me? It would have to be activated by a switch or simple control as I would not be there during judging. Would love to use actual fire but not sure if that would work or just melt the fondant!!! Have been thinking about using a small fog machine but that gets hot also. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

8 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:23am
post #2 of 9

How long the smoke/fog have to be there for? If it was only a fairly short time, you might be able to put dry ice in water under the table with a tube going up into the dragon and out his mouth. The fog generated by the dry ice would look like smoke. It wouldn't work if it needed to go for a long time after you set it up, though.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:28am
post #3 of 9

How about a tiny fan that blows red, yellow, orange tissue or fabric (i've seen these before at halloween) or the same materials with a twinkling electric candle.

You could use dry ice, but that's toxic.

Maybe do a google search on fire/smoke under the heading of crafts.

Good luck with your dragon........sounds fun.

Deani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deani Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:50am
post #4 of 9

Not sure if this is of any help, but I recently did a 21st cake with a Betty Boop figurine reclining on an icecube inside a martini glass. The ice cube was a led light up which constantly changed colour and the martini glass was plastic with a light up stem which flashed red. The result was amazing as it sparkled off the sparkle dust on Betty's dress. The lights functioned for the entire party about 6 hours I guess. Would that be long enough?

I bought them from here, which is in Australia but I am sure you can get them in America. Maybe the glow sticks or the led tea lights might work.
http://www.lightupmylife.com.au/

The cake doesn't look very special in this photo, but with the lights dimmed during the party and the lights changing colour it looked great. The light also reflected off the white icing.

Deani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deani Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:53am
post #5 of 9

Oops couldn't get the photo to upload. Will post it in my photos. Sorry

redpanda Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztomcat

How about a tiny fan that blows red, yellow, orange tissue or fabric (i've seen these before at halloween) or the same materials with a twinkling electric candle.

You could use dry ice, but that's toxic.

I'd be very careful about the tissue--most tissue paper is not water or grease-proof, so if it comes in contact with moisture or icing, it may leave color behind. Also, the colors may not be food-safe--only an issue if the cake will be eaten.

Aztomcat, in what way is dry ice toxic? Yes, in high concentrations the vapor is a problem, such as in a small room with lots of dry ice. However, I have never seen anything in the literature regarding it not being safe to use around food. In fact, it is a pretty traditional thing to use in Halloween (and stage) punch bowls. It is also used to keep food cold during shipping and during power failures/refrigeration failures.

According to the MSDS for dry ice, it is an inhalation hazard if there is inadequate ventilation (which wouldn't be a problem with a small amount of dry ice and a large room), but it is NOT toxic via ingestion. Well, yeah, you don't want to touch the frozen substance with bare skin, but nobody is suggesting that--and it isn't toxicity anyway.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:03am
post #7 of 9

Redpanda,
You are correct. I have never used it actually in a food item, only to keep things frozen/cold. Did not know you could use it in liquid then drink it. Guess my Momma told me wrong. icon_surprised.gif)

Here's info on nontoxic smoke.

How To Make Non-Toxic Smoke or Fog From Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D., Your Guide to Chemistry.
Difficulty: Average
Time Required: Instantaneous
Here's How:
This is so easy! Add chunks of dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) to hot water in a styrofoam or other insulated container.
The fog will sink to the ground. You may use a fan on a low setting to move your 'smoke'. The water will cool, so you will need to refresh the hot water to maintain the effect. Room temperature matters - you will get the most fog in a cool room.
Tips:
Dry ice is cold enough to give frostbite. Wear protective gloves when handling it.
Larger chunks of dry ice will last longer than smaller ones.
Be aware that extra carbon dioxide is being added to the air. Under some circumstances, this can present an asphyxiation hazard.
Sometimes inexpensive dry ice machines are available, otherwise check party supply stores and shipping companies for availability.
Keep dry ice away from childen, pets, and fools! Adult supervision is required.
What You Need:
Dry Ice (Carbon Dioxide)
Hot Water
Insulated Container

redpanda Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:47am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

Keep dry ice away from children, pets, and fools!

LOL!!!

When I was a junior high teacher, there was one student who fit in two of those categories. We were doing various CO2 experiments using dry ice, and this young man decided it was a good idea to steal a small chunk of the dry ice and put it into his front pants pocket to take with him. The first I knew of it, he was bouncing up and down, desperately trying to get the very COLD chunk of dry ice away from his private parts!

What part of "we're using protective gloves AND tongs to handle the dry ice" didn't he pay attention to? icon_eek.gif

peggy4488 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peggy4488 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:17pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you everyone for all your great ideas! I really appreciate all you help! Will let you know how it comes out and hopefully post a pic,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%