How Far Ahead Can I Make Mmf Cut Outs And What Not?

Decorating By NewbeeBaker Updated 14 Dec 2006 , 3:57pm by NewbeeBaker

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 3

Hey all!! I tried searching 12 pages worth here, but can't find my answer. I am making my daughter's b-day cake, and this is the first real challenge cake I have ever made. I am making it a my little pony theme with a sheet cake for the bottom and a castle on top of it towards the back with pathways, flowers, and a pond. Then making a layered round cake to go on a stand that will be the sky with cloud and happy b-day stuff on that one. Then gonna connect the 2 with a rainbow. I really am so excited, but worrying like crazy, hoping this turns out. My questions is...I am going to use MMF for the rainbow connecting the cake, mini rainbows to go around the sheet cake, and the turets(sp?). Because there is so much to do, I wanted to get a headstart with some of the decals that will go on it. How far in advance can I make the rainbow/turets and how should I store them?? I also want to say that I just love this place. You guys are so talented and cake smart! I hope to become half as good as you guys!! TIA, NewbeeBaker!

2 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 4:31am
post #2 of 3

Welcome to CC NBB!!

These are items you definitely want to start way, way ahead of time! I made a rainbow (heart/rainbow wedding cake in my pics) and it took about 2 weeks total to dry because I made a gumpaste backing, let that dry and them applied the strips of fondant to make the colors of the rainbow and that took around a week maybe a bit more to dry. MMF takes a notoriously long time to dry but you can add some gum-tex or denture powder to make it dry faster.

Can't wait to see your finished masterpiece!

icon_smile.gif d

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much dodibug!! I was thinking is was something I could do a decent amount of time ahead=) Gonna get started right away!! NewbeeBaker

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%