I Don't Know If I'm Ready For This!

Decorating By gibson Updated 14 Dec 2006 , 8:37pm by moralna

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 16

I need all of your opinions.......

I have a lady from Calgary phoning me to do wedding cakes for her, she is a wedding planner. She saw me in a craft fair and looked at my very small portfolio and wants me to her cake person. I live 3 hours away but I would be paid to go there and decorate.
I don't know if I'm ready for this yet. I really want to be but am so worried. What do you all think? I was thinking of recommending kiddiekakes or freddie since they live in Calgary but am not sure if they do wedding cakes. So if you two see this post let me know.....
I don't want to refuse this yet because it is such a big opportunity but I don't want to ruin anybody's wedding either!
I'll attach a picture of the wedding cake she wants done.
Does anyone have a really good recipe for French buttercream and a French white layer cake? Really could use all of your help!

Thanks so much!

Tammy
LL

15 replies
gibson Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 16

Forgot to ask about pricing........

How much would you charge....it's to feed 190 people.

Any help would be truly appreciated!

Thanks!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 16

I think as far as talent yes. That is such a grand cake but look at it, it looks simple if you break it down into each think you will be doing.

Now it is up to you....what does your heart say?

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 16

You shouldn't sell yourself short. I viewed the first page of your cakes and you have talent thumbs_up.gif
Sometimes one door closes and a window opens. If I were in your shoes I think I'd be elated, nervous, scared and proud! I've never done a wedding cake yet (have been asked to do 2 at the beginning of next year), so I'm afraid I can't even begin to help with pricing. What about the Wilton guide? But then again, I know someone here at CC will help with that.
Go for it icon_lol.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 16

No one can tell you if you are up to the job.

You know what you are capable of and what you aren't comfortable with.

If that style is beyond what you think you can do well, then the best thing would be to turn it down.

The last thing you want to do is stress yourself out or put your reputation on the line and disappoint a bride.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 16

After looking at your cakes you've done, You are very talented....You can do this! Just take a deep breath, and remember, everyone has to start with their first big one! This lady knows what she's doing and she has seen "something" in your work. You do very neat and clean work.
She wants you! Go for it.
Unless going into business for yourself ISN'T really want you intended to do with your future....but if it is, jump in!
Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

gibson Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 16

anybody have any good recipes for french buttercream and/or french white layer cake?

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Now it is up to you....what does your heart say?

you can do it....no doubt about it... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 16

K here goes, I found a recipe for the french buttercream on this site but couldn't find one for french vanilla cake. I don't know exactly what you mean other than french style white cake. But I will keep looking for you. You might try chef2chef.com or marthastewert.com and see if you can find anything that you would need. I also googled "french vanilla cake" and got quite a few hits.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 16

I took a look at your cakes and you do a great job. However, I didn't see any stacked cakes. So if it were me I would try one out before I said yes or no. They can be tricky.

I think it's a very pretty cake and other then the stacking I know you can do it. Even with the stacking I'm 99% sure you can.

My only question is do you REALLY want to drive 3 hours away with a cake in your car?

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 16

k I wanted to say something else also,
You know how we get all flustered about stacked cakes n such? Well think of it this way........you are decorating a set number of "unstacked" cakes and then putting them together with the supports. If we think of it as doing one cake at a time, then it doesn't seem like such a daunting task. And you said that you would be doing the cakes up there or are you doing them in your house. If I were you, and you have to travel that amount of time, I would make all the layers first and take with me the rest of the frosting and tips etc. that I would need to finish on site. That way, you don't have to worry bout if it's all gonna fit in your SUV or car and it'll be set up exactly like you want it.
It's a lot easi[er if you think of it as components instead of one huge cake.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 5:57pm
post #12 of 16

Looking at your photos, I would say you could definitely pull off the requested cake. But, cake decorating away from home presents its own set of challenges. I've done it a few times and would say it's my least favorite scenario. But, if you're trying to get a foothold, maybe it's worth it to you. Your prices have to be set according to the area and what people are accustomed to paying for similar quality, so most of us are not going to be able to really give you useful advice in that regard.

Be sure to keep us updated as to whether you do this and how it goes for you.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 16

I'd charge £350 for that cake as it's not very complex. but it is large. Thats about $650. What does everyone else think?

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 7:20pm
post #14 of 16

I would charge $750 and flowers would be extra.
I think your cakes are great. If you are comfortable with I say go for it!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 7:46pm
post #15 of 16

I think you are ready for this! Your cakes are fabulous! If it were me i'd do a mini practice cake. Good luck and congrats on getting the job!

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:37pm
post #16 of 16

I agree with pattycakes - the cake as a whole looks amazingly complex, but if you really look at each tier, it is not that complicated - I definitely think you can do it!! A cake like that - at least in NYC - would be over $800 easily!! As far as french vanilla cake. . . . and I am not sure if you want to do a doctored cake mix, but I do a french vanilla cake using white cake mix - using the box recipe but adding french vanilla pudding and a Tblsp of Coffeemate French Vanilla powdered creamer or 1/2 cup of the liquid + an extra egg and it comes out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%