Storing Cakes

Decorating By jekizer Updated 4 Aug 2005 , 8:27pm by momoftwogirls

jekizer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jekizer Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 11

I am rather new to this and I have a delima. I am supposed to bake a cake for my nephew's birthday party on 8-13. I am wondering how far in advance I can bake the cake and keep it frozen. FYI... I am building a football stadium, so I am wanting to start early. Just not sure how to do that, and keep the quality good. icon_rolleyes.gif Any help would be appreciated.

10 replies
Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 11

Freezing a cake is fine! Just make sure it's wrapped really well. When you're ready just pop it out of the freezer, and set it out on the counter for a few hours. Then unwrap and frost!

I also put a fresh box of baking soda in the fridge and freezer just in case.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 11

If anyone was a sceptic of freezing cakes, it was me. But let me be the first to say, it works and it works great!! After baking, letting them cool completely (for a couple of hours and to let them settle), I wrap in saran wrap, then in aluminum foil. I freeze them on some old cookie sheets I have (I knew they'd come in handy for something eventually icon_biggrin.gif) ... when ready to use, I set the out on my snack bar, remove the aluminum foil and leave the saran wrap on them... when I come home from work, I remove the saran wrap and crumb coat... to me, they're even more moist then when you first baked them.. just make sure you do as Sugar suggested, put a fresh box of baking soda in your freezer and make sure you don't have onions, bell peppers, etc. in there that may give your cake their flavor .. good luck!! remember to post pics too icon_wink.gif

jekizer Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for all of your help! I will try all of your suggestions so I know it will be OK. I have just started decorating and love it so far... but this is going to be hardest one that I have done.

Wish me luck!! I will post my pics!

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 11

I have a question....some bakerys around here do not freeze their cakes. That was one reason they gave me when I asked why I should choose them rather than publix.
They said places like grocery stores freeze their cakes and it is not fresh?!

why would they say that if freezing was okay? I have had publix cakes and they taste just a good as this bakery I have gone to.

please if someone could help me understand.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 11

If you wrap your cakes properly before freezing...they should be fine. I have done it before...and you could not tell the cake had been frozen.
traci

jekizer Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 11

I am a firm believer that people will tell you anything in order to get you to purchase items from them. I could be wrong... but that has been typically my experience.

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 11

momoftwogirls, they might have meant that they get their cakes IN frozen, I know that's true in my area anyway. Freezing is just fine, but using mass-produced pre-made frozen-shipped cakes can affect the taste quite a lot. (I used to work at a grocery store bakery, so unfortunately I know from experience)

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 11

momoftwogirls I think it is just a method of selling no one wants to hear the cake was frozen the customer wants to hear it was baked today! It is a selling line too me.

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwogirls

I have a question....some bakerys around here do not freeze their cakes. That was one reason they gave me when I asked why I should choose them rather than publix.
They said places like grocery stores freeze their cakes and it is not fresh?!

why would they say that if freezing was okay? I have had publix cakes and they taste just a good as this bakery I have gone to.

please if someone could help me understand.

I'm sure they tell you that to get youe business. After all, I'm sure Publix gets A LOT more cake orders than the smaller bakeries do. . .
Think of it this way, they say that b/c if their cake is basically the same as the one the supermarket sells, it's easier to order it the week before when you're doing your groceries & then pick it up the day of the event when you're buying your last few items for the party. Make sense?

Also, if you like the way the one at the supermarket tastes, who cares if it's been frozen. If it tastes bad, then I'd complain. . .

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 11

That is what I was thinking too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%