Help Me Stop Gaining Weight!!

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 14 Dec 2006 , 1:01pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 51

Okay so I have been at this for almost a year now, and put on like 10 pounds! I have been struggling to loose a few pounds after my 3rd son was born and cake decorating is NOT HELPING! I am not even really making cakes for my household anymore, but I find myself eating tester cupcakes, leftovers, scraps, MISTAKES.... what can I do to stop this maddness! While it is kind of funny, I am really dead serious! I dont want to eat anymore icon_cry.gif I mean today I made some cupcakes and I was concerned that I might have over baked so I ate like 5 just to verify. Seriously, I am going to have a problem on my hands if I dont get this under control!

50 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 51

I'm with you! I have the same problem, NO SELF CONTROL when it comes to these delicious goodies. I have found that 45 minutes of Tae Bo every day will allow me to eat what I want without gaining weight. Now the problem is finding time for it...

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 51

Try chewing gum while you decorate. That's helps me a little. The biggest thing is you just have to will yourself not to eat the stuff. I have the same problem. At first it was really hard, but then it got easier. If I catch myself starting to eat too much or eat something I shouldn't be eating (cholesterol problems) I have to remind myself not to eat that kind of stuff. It's hard, but you can do it.

Good Luck.

springlakecake Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 51

Maybe I need to get a ticker like many of you! Maybe since I am on here all the time I would see it and stop eating.

Toristreats: I want to weigh 135 too. I think I am at 150 now too! icon_cry.gif

toristreats Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 51

Now if only I could figure out how to change my ticker...

I'm trying to loose weight from baby #2. We are also trying for #3 so I hope this weight comes off fast. Maybe we can support each other.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 51

I am dreaming of weighing 150 right now...

I have been following Weight Watchers for a year now (sort of - and that's my problem). I've lost 42 pounds, which I'm very please with but I'm at a plateau where I'm finding it hard to reduce the calories even further to continue. Every little taste of this and that hurts the waistline.

Today I just found out that there is free accupuncture and it's supposed to help with stress, impulse control, cravings etc. I am sooo going to try it.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 51

I agree. It's so hard to stay away from something that you're literally "in the middle of". I ALWAYS have to test! I just don't like sending ANYTHING out that hasn't been tasted. Especially NEW recipes. Two years ago I lost 93 lbs. and I'm deteremined to keep it off. My theory is this: whether I take one bite or EAT THE WHOLE THING the flavor and texture remain the SAME. SO!!! one bite is the LIMIT!

To keep myself on track, I started a club with 4 of my friends. Each month we weigh in (in front of each other!) and we each put $20 "in the pot". The person(s) who has lost the most or maintained gets or splits the pot. We started this because we knew we needed some reinforcement during the holidays.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 51

I also dream of 150lbs......heck i was 165 when i got married and thought I looked dang good! Even more so than weight....I would love to wear a size 12 comfortably.....its so hard though....as a stay at home mom, on would think i would have all kinds of time to work out.....but I always find other things to do!

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 51

Hey, not to sound like an ad for a weight loss program, but I am almost done with this diet that I just LOVE. It is the Michael Thurmond (sp) Six Week Body Makeover. It is THE best diet ever. I eat all the time (5-6 times a day) and I'm not hungry, and I've lost almost 20 lbs. Now I'm where I wanted to be when I started, but I'm thinking about trying to reach 125.....I thought that would be impossible, but with this diet, it is totally possible. Thing is, you can't eat the stuff we are making, lol. (I'm a batter licker, since all my cakes are for family, when the batter is in the pans to go in the oven, I lick the beater, lol.)

But if you seriously want to lose weight,,,,try this diet, it is amazing.

mkerton Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 51

Little Big Momma....that is a great idea....unfortunately I either have the friends who can eat anything they want and stay skinny....or they are all pregnant right now! My sisters have fairly recently lost quite a bit of weight....but I have one sister who is single and eats a bowl of cereal for dinner every night....I can't do that, I have a family to cook for! My other sister took appetite suppresant pills (which I dont take...bad experience in high school with them)....so its hard to know what to do. My Mom and I religiously walked 2 miles 5 days a week (and sometimes I added another 2 miles) and even though it was brisk walking....we saw no improvement at all. If anything I thought it made me hungrier! I did it for 5 1/2 months before I got depressed and quit....but I know I need to get back into it.

jespooky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jespooky Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 51

I feel everyone's pain!! I recently lost 32 pounds on the south beach diet, then discovered making cakes and have gained 10 pounds back maybe a little more, just within 2 months!! I have no self control either, it's almost like it comes in waves, i can control myself for a few months then it's PIG OUT!!!! I have a thing for the cake batter, not always the finshed product....*sigh* 150 pounds is my weight goal, and i got DOWN to 188 and that was the THINNEST i've been in YEARS.....it's depressing to all of us to struggle with our weight!!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 51

GAH!

I'm still struggling with baby weight too. Only he's 13! icon_biggrin.gif

My problem is not eating the cakes. When I make them I seriously don't want to eat them. My problem is wanting everything sweet BUT cakes! I think about all kinds of desserts when that "sweet tooth" starts aching. I'm a batter-taster, too. I know your pain!

I've been feeling ill for like 3 days now, though. My appetite isn't right. AND I'm NOT COMPLAINING!

I'm not sure this is the best business for me to be in... icon_twisted.gif

--Knox--

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:56pm
post #13 of 51

Over the last 3 years I went from 225 to my thinnest at 119. Now after baking and decorating I am back up to 128! Doesn't sound like much to some of you but I've only been doing this since sept. I have almost no will power to batter and cupcakes just slide down my throat before I now I've picked one up! icon_cry.gif O.K I say we start the cake decorators on track club!!!!!! RIGHT NOW!!!!! We obviously have the need, and we all want encouragement so..........
Hi, my name is Tuesday and I am addicted to cake, cupcakes and tasting my batter and icing. My goal is to return to my former weight of 120. Healthily of course.

jespooky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jespooky Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:00pm
post #14 of 51

I'm with you Tuesday!

My name is Jessica, i'm addictied to food in general, and have a MAJOR sweet tooth. I would like to lose the weight i've gained since starting cake decorating, and keep trying to reach my goal of 150 lbs.

By the way, HOW did you go from 225 to 119??? What's your secrect??

2sdae Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:13pm
post #15 of 51

I walked 1 mile everyday. I drank and am trying to get back to drinking, icon_redface.gif 10- 8 oz glasses of water everyday. I drink no sodas, only water and crystal light. I use splenda in absolutely everything...with baking exceptions. I don't eat much bread, no butter, no dressing on salad. I dont ever fry anything or eat anything fried. No concentrated sweets....oh,my cakes! icon_rolleyes.gif
And i just bake, grill and broil every meat. I don't eat out very much to avoid those hidden calories. Sweets are my down fall, especially my own creations. I don't want to send out somehting I haven't tasted and can't describe. Plus I am in love with new flavors and improving on textures and the such.

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:19pm
post #16 of 51

Hi, myname is Becky and I am addicted to all food! I have recently started an herbal cleanse and am getting ready to start the Advocare dietary supplements to help with weight loss. I am here to support you! I am well over 200 and wanting to get to about 140. Thanks for your support!

estherhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherhead Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:21pm
post #17 of 51

I'm a Weight Watchers leader & a cake decorator. Aren't those 2 opposites? lol! Right now I'm 8 months pregnant and an eating machine but in 2 months I'll have 3 months to get to my pre-pregnancy weight. My trick is this, I chew gum while I bake & have a giant cup of water with a straw, the straw is key as it makes drinking the water more fun. I make my daughters & dh taste all my stuff to make sure it is on course & I mostly make the same formulas of buttercream/fondant/cake so I know it tastes the same as it did before.

You don't have to taste to tell if something is moist, you can tell texture by touch & sight.

I either freeze immediately any leftovers or trash them. I used to leave the cake tops on the counter but no more! I trash em. It took a bit for friends & family to forgive me for doing this but they are OK with it now. I make enough yummy things special for them they let me be. Also, I try to never be hungry. Grapes, berries, baked chips & salsa, chocolate cake made with pumpkin are always around me. That way I'm only fighting the sweet tooth & not fighting actual hunger.

Everyone's idea about a group is good. That is what made me stick with WW so long & probably for life. The group support & accountability is so important. My sister just started a group of 4 girls who weigh in every Tuesday & have to show each other their food journals. It's been two weeks & they have all lost 2-4lbs.

Finally, if I don't exercise early in the am or have an appointment with a friend, I don't do it. Lots of time I get up first thing & put on workout clothes & tennis shoes and throw some cakes in the oven. Then while they are baking I do a FIT tv on demand routine.

You can do it! You just need support.

mkerton Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:22pm
post #18 of 51

Tuesday you totally reminded me about drinking water....I am on a bad soda kick (diet caffeine free soda but still) 4 to 6, 12 oz cans a day...must get back to drinking water......I used to do so well...drinking 60+ oz of water per day...but I have been a slacker since I started staying home.

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:25pm
post #19 of 51

I am currently getting off the soda too! It can be SO hard!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:26pm
post #20 of 51

same here! except i gained much more than you.
I also have a third child now and started decorating a little after i had her. i have been doing cakes a little over a year or so. I have not lost any "baby" weight. I have gained tons of cake and frosting weight. LOL
i wish i had better self control, but i don't.
since i'll stop doing cakes come 2007, i hope to lose some weight as well. cut back in all.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:27pm
post #21 of 51

I went from 202 lbs to 136 in a year. I ate one good meal a day at supper. I drank gallons of water and took a walk everyday altho a short walk as I am partly handicapped. I ate a yogurt or fruit or applesauce for breakfast. I snacked on raw veggies, and when my cravings for sweets got to be more than I could handle I would have sugar free pudding or jello and once in a while a social tea cookie. It helps that my dh was very supportive as well as being quite strick in reminding me almost constantly that I shudnt have this that or the other thing lol. I am limited in the amount and kinds of excercises I can do so that was out of the question. And you have to keep your mind and hands busy. Believe me my computer was in overdrive at that time lol. Good luck to you but as in my case it is a never ending struggle I've been up and down that scale more times than I can count.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:37pm
post #22 of 51

I'm so glad I'm not alone! I've gained 15lb over the several months and am DISGUSTED with myself. I keep telling myself I'll do something about, but have failed miserably. But I think I've reached rock bottom and am ready to take the cookie (aka bull) by the horns.

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:56pm
post #23 of 51

I lost 40 pounds last year and have been able to keep it off. I now weight 135 to 140 - my weight has always flexuated.

My diet consisted of this: I prayed every day for the Lord to help me fight the devil (that is what the junk food was to me), ate 3 meals a day - they could be whatever but limited the portions and walked 3 miles a day. I did allow myself one non-water drink and one dessert a day and that could be anything, a weight watchers dessert or Cold Stone ice cream. (I was the biggest junk food addict you would ever meet. It was nothing for me to eat a whole box of Zingers at a sitting.) At the end of the day, I thanked the Lord for helping me fight the devil and not eat the junk food.

I stepped on the scales every day in the morning and the evening. I read an article that said people who tend to weight themselves daily were more likely to keep the weight off because they would see a pound or two and watch what they ate for a few days.

It took me about 6 months to do it but I am so thankful that I did it. I feel so much better and younger. It is really about self control and finding something that works for you. Good luck to you all, if I can do it, I know you can too.

springlakecake Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 7:13pm
post #24 of 51

I love the idea of having a group! I dont know how we could do it, maybe you have to check in once a week with your weight...dont know, ideas?
I do much better if I have to be accountable to someone.

Last year I did Body For Life with my husband. It is a 12 week program, you eat 6 times a day (I was not hungry, food wasnt bad) and you got one day a week to eat whatever you wanted! Which was awesome because if you go through your life never being able to eat another jelly bean (or in our case cupcake) you just wont follow through. You had to exercise 6 times a week though, but i did it. It was all going well until 9 weeks into it and I got Mono. Actually i lost even more weight, but once I was better one month later, I just didnt have the will power to get back into it. now I weigh even more than when I started last year. I totally think about my weight all the time. I mean I am 5 7" and 150 pounds, so I know I am not really huge or anything, but I just want to fit into my clothes the way I used to. I just keep gaining, so I want to stop this before it gets out of control.

Okay excuse me now while I go decorate some cupcakes. I am going to try and not eat anymore.

toristreats Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 8:12pm
post #25 of 51

merissa, I'm 5'7" also. How funny.

O.k. everyone starting now we will have will power. WE WILL LOSE THAT UNWANTED WEIGHT. We can do it. Are you with me?

2sdae Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 8:29pm
post #26 of 51

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.giftapedshut.gif

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 8:35pm
post #27 of 51

My name is Cassandra and I am a food addict. I have lost up to 90lbs at a time and have gained it all back plus about 30 pounds to boot. I think about my weight every single day. My daughter is 27 months old and I weigh more than I did the day I had her. I think most of my problem is that I am finally happy in life. I mean, I'm happily married, doing well with school, I like my job, etc. When I was single and looking, I was more careful about what I did. Now that I have a wonderful supporting husband and a good life, I have gotten too comfortable with just eating whatever I see. I have to turn myself around. Sometimes I wish my husband would say something, it would devastate me, but maybe it would be what I need to get up off my butt and do something.

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 8:43pm
post #28 of 51

ok, there is a vendor that comes to my job and sells homemade candy and a bunch of other stuff that isn't good for me but can someone tell me why I bought a 1 lb bag of Egg Nog taffy??? It is so good, I just can't stop eating it...I don't even like Egg Nog. I'm all about joining this group.

springlakecake Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 8:51pm
post #29 of 51

any way we can organize our weight loss club? Like weigh ins on Wednesdays or something??

maybe we should start a thread in the lounge forum since I guess technically this isnt about cake decorating.....?

Tallulah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallulah Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 8:53pm
post #30 of 51

Hi! My name is Angela, and I'm a complete food addict. I'm currently in the 150's and trying to get down to at least 140. I've lost 25 pounds, but it took one year and lots of self control. I'm one of those people who eats when I'm bored or anxious or angry, and in life you get all three.

The weight I've lost came off very slowly, but I feel that's the best way to lose weight and keep it off. I never had that immediate 10lb weight loss because I refused to try fad diets. Mostly because every time I thought of depriving myself of food or certain foods, it would drive me to the bottom of a Ben and Jerry's ice-cream carton sprinkled with mini snicker bars.

I walked a lot and still do. A lot of my success came from portion control I have managed to keep the weight off, but I know I could lose more if I can just stop eating cake! My weekness right now is caramel (I'm going to miss my new hips!) I made some for a cake I'm baking next week, but I don't think It's going to make it!

So anything you guys suggest, I'm all for it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%