Airbrush Question

Decorating By esq1031 Updated 10 Oct 2007 , 2:58am by esq1031

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 6

I just want to say that I am new to CC and I think everyone is great. I have gathered so much from all your experience I am grateful for finding this site. Anyway, my question is, can you use any type of airbrush for cake decorating or must you use one specifically designed for that purpose. The reason why I am asking is that my sister has an airbrush and compressor already. I was hoping that I could buy any type of airbrush to use with her compressor so I can save the money. But I don't want to cut any corners if it's not going to work. I would appreciate anyone's input.

Thanks,
Jackie

5 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 6

Most airbrushes will work, it's the compressor you need to worry about. What is the psi of her compressor? Too much pressure and you'll blow the icing off your cake.

esq1031 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for that bit of info. I don't know what the psi is on my sister's compressor, but what is standard for decorating purposes???

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 12:54am
post #4 of 6

I believe it's 30 psi max.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 1:32am
post #5 of 6

for a cake, you need to be able to adjust the compressor with a gauge. You have to be able to adjust it down to 12- about 20 max for a cake. A garage compressor will work fine as will an art one- as long as it has a gauge that lets you do that. Usually a gauge looks like a clear plastic circle with a needle in it (like the old fashioned speedometers) You can also go to Sears or even Walmart and target have small tank compressors with gauges for about $60 more or less. icon_smile.gif

esq1031 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:58am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for all the responses. I appreciate your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%