Appetizer Party

Lounge By cookinnut Updated 14 Oct 2007 , 12:54am by mkolmar

cookinnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinnut Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 25

The hubby and I are going to be throwing an appetizer party and he wants to try "something new". Like what, he of course has no idea. so I thought here's a great place to pick some brains. What's your favorite app recipe? Here's one that I just got and let me tell you, sounds not very good but DANG...yum!!!

Stuffed Jalepenos:
Medium sized jalepenos
Roast beef (not too thinly sliced)
Italian dressing
Cream cheese
Bacon
tooth picks (soaked in water)

Basically you use 1 full slice of roast beef and 1 full slice bacon per 1 whole pepper. First marinate the roast beef in italian dressing for at least 1 hour. Slice pepper length-wise and take out seeds. Fill with cream cheese. Slice roast beef in half length-wise and wrap one piece around pepper. Cut raw bacon in 1/2 then wrap one half around entire thing. Skewer with soaked toothpick. Grill on med-low heat till bacon is done.
I think I used 1 lb beef to 12 whole peppers

24 replies
Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 12:39am
post #2 of 25

I'll play. This one is easy and you may have already tried it. We use this quite ofter because it's so easy.

Sausage Balls

* 3 C. Bisquick
* 2 C. Cheddar Cheese, grated
* 1 lbs. sausage, hot or mild

PREPARATION:
Preheat over to 350 degree; mix all ingredients together. Form into 1" balls. Bake for 15 minutes; drain on paper towels. Serve warm.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:51am
post #3 of 25

What types of recipes are you looking for? I have a whole folder on my computer of different appetizers I save from emails and sites...

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:35am
post #4 of 25

I know this is cheesy, but the thing that always goes first at the family gatherings is Little Smokies in BBQ sauce. Put it all in the crockpot and set on warm, once warm, eat! (sometimes they don't get hot like they are suppose to b/c we eat them as soon as they get a little warm)

cookinnut Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 25

TexasSugar- Just looking for suggestions/favorites, see what looks new or interesting to try. Even oldies but goodies, you know, the recipes you forgot all about.

cookinnut Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 25

Believe it or not Ohara, Ive never actually made those, but they are tasty. On my list they go!
leily- umm, we're definately guilty of the barely warm, what happened I could of sworn I made 2 packs and only have 16 lil'smokies left app. Same thing goes with the bacon-waterchestnuts. By the time you get them all cooked theres only 3 left on the tray. Funny how that happens icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 25

The only cheeseball I will make or eat.

Mix together: Cream cheese, chopped green onions, chopped dried beef (found in the grocery next to the bologna).

I dont' form it into a ball .... just put it in a bowl. We actuall call it "cheese bowl"! I also don't put a layer of dried beef on the outside like some folks ... I think that looks tacky.

Because of the red beef and the green onions, we also refer to it as Christmas Cheese Bowl.

For a vegetarian version, omit the beef and add chopped green olives instead.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 25

How about Cheese Straws? My grandma always has these beside the sausage balls.
1 (11 oz) pkg piecrust mix
1 (5oz) jar Cheese Whiz
1/2 ts. ground red pepper
1/4 tsp dry mustard

Process all ingredients in food processor 30 seconds or until mixture forms a ball, scraping sides down twice.

Form dough into 2 7" logs, wrap in plastic and refreigerate 1 hour. Cut logs into 1/4 inch slices.

Place rounds on greased baking sheet and bake at 375 for 8 minutes or until golden. Cool on racks, store in airtight container. Makes about 5 dz.

cookinnut Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 25

michellenj - is that like Jiffy pie crust mix? Sounds tasty.

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 25

Martha's Hot Almond Spread
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup mayonnaise
8 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
3 green onions, chopped
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup sliced almonds

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in the Swiss cheese. Transfer to small ovenproof glass bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 of the almonds on top.
3. Bake for 7 minutes. Stir, and bake for an additional 8 minutes. Sprinkle remaining almonds on top, and serve.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marthas-Hot-Almond-Spread/Detail.aspx

I usually double the almonds. Everybody loves this spread!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 25

This is my favorite quacamole recipe:

1/2 c avacodo
1/4t garlic salt
1/4t salt
1/4t chili powder
1/4t tabasco
1/4t lemon juice
1 T grated or finely chopped onion
3 T mayo

I usually use about 4 avocados and use a teaspoon of the spices and lemon juice. Sometimes I leave out the onion and I really don't measure the mayo any more. I just drop a spoonful or two in it. I also like to add some chopped up tomatoes on it.

You can take cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, trim the tops and de seed them. Then pipe some of the guacamole in it. Mm mm mm!

I've got some dip recipes that we like as well that I will hunt up for you later this afternoon.

dueter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dueter Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 25

Instead of Lil Smokies use frozen meatballs w/BBQ sauce in crockpot.

Cream cheese, crab meat, chopped green onion and shredded cheddar cheese. Mix together and serve with crackers.

michellenj Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 25

Yes, cookinut-use powdered pie crust mix. I forget what brand I use-whatever is cheapest! And I like to make them spicy. You can also press a pecan half into them before baking. YUM. You can also put htem through a cookie press and make them pretty.

mommapaul3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommapaul3 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:45am
post #14 of 25

One of my favorite things to do is pour a small jar of jalapeno jelly on top of a brick of cream cheese and use as a cracker spread. It's so good! You could also use red pepper jelly, chili sauce, or salsa - but the jalapeno jelly is my favorite.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:55am
post #15 of 25

I have so many favorite appetizer recipes.

I love Caprese Skewers! Easy, light and fresh!
grape tomoatoes, marinated bocconccini balls, fresh basil on skewers.

I just stab and tomato, fold and stab a fresh basil leaf, stab a bocconcini ball and repeat once more. Soooo good!

My sister turned me on to a good one aswell. Asparagus Prosciutto Wraps
I think she got it from Rachel Ray? Blanch a bundle or two of asparagus, coat one side of paper thin prosciutto with a garlic herb spread (I prefer Allouette) and wrap around asparagus. Again, fresh and yummy!

I also love my Mom's doctored ranch dip and i don't even like ranch dip!

She mixes ranch, chives, shredded cheese and crumbled bacon together. Love it!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:45am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I know this is cheesy, but the thing that always goes first at the family gatherings is Little Smokies in BBQ sauce. Put it all in the crockpot and set on warm, once warm, eat! (sometimes they don't get hot like they are suppose to b/c we eat them as soon as they get a little warm)

You must be related to my family. My kids think it isn't Thanksgiving if we don't have Grandma's (my mother) smokie links along with Chex party mix, and my mother has been gone for 34 years so you know who's job it is to make them now.

cookinnut Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:53pm
post #17 of 25

Cant wait to try some of these!

michellenj Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:20pm
post #18 of 25

If you want old school appys, you have to have Knorr vegetable soup mix spinach dip in a bread bowl, and pimiento cheese finger sandwiches. Let me know if you need the recipes. I will not allow you to use store bought pimiento cheese. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:29pm
post #19 of 25

you churn your own cheese?? icon_eek.gif

michellenj Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:19pm
post #20 of 25

Are you familiar with Pimiento Cheese? I can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic, Debi. icon_confused.gif

indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:00pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Are you familiar with Pimiento Cheese? I can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic, Debi. icon_confused.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif No, I'm kidding ya!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cookinnut Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:28pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

If you want old school appys, you have to have Knorr vegetable soup mix spinach dip in a bread bowl, and pimiento cheese finger sandwiches. Let me know if you need the recipes. I will not allow you to use store bought pimiento cheese.

The recipes would be great! Thanks !

michellenj Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:48pm
post #23 of 25

The Knorr spinach dip recipe is on the back of their vegetable soup mix box. Do not leave out the water chestnuts. Serve it in a hollowed out pumpernickel bread bowl, with the cubed bread to dip. It's better if you make it a day ahead.

Pimiento Cheese

(3) 8 oz blocks cheddar cheese (I mix it up between sharp and extra sharp)
1 TBSP grated white onion
1 4 oz. diced pimiento, drained
3/4 c to 1 c. good quality mayonnaise
Pinch of pepper
Drop of Wocestershire (however you spell it)

Do not use pre-shredded cheese for this. It's coated with cornstarch and other chemicals to make it not clump, and it will not behave correctly in this recipe.

Shred all of the cheese.

Mix together the mayonnaise, onion, pimiento, pepper and Worcestershire sauce, then stir in the cheese.

Store in airtight container.

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:56am
post #24 of 25

Pimiento cheese! So tasty!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 12:54am
post #25 of 25

I'm probably late on this post but here is my contribrution

Patachio-coated shrimp
*Combine 1/2 cup hummus, 3 TBSP olive oil, 2 TBSP dried mint, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel; brush over 16 de-shelled/de-vained medium uncooked shrimp

* press shrimp into 3/4 C chopped pistachios to try to coat

* Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours

*brush with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Grill covered over medium heat for 2-4 minutes; turning once and brushing with oil before turning.

Also, any kind of brushetta would work good. You can top it with pretty much anything from salsa with corn, italian meatsauce and cheese or even marinated salmon--it's up to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%