How Much Meringue Powder?

Baking By dodibug Updated 5 Aug 2005 , 4:01am by Moviechick00

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 5

I use a non-crusting buttercream most of the time and wondered if adding meringue powder would help stabilize it in the heat ( I love N'awlins!). If so, how much would I add? Or do I have this all wrong and the powder will make it crust-so confused. The recipie I use makes 3 cups. Thanks!

4 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure dodibug because I use a crusting buttercream icing and I don't use meringue powder in mine, but I'll try bumping this back up to the top and maybe someone that does can answer it for you.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:49am
post #3 of 5

I'm baking a cake right now that I'll be decorating tomorrow. I found a recipe for bc that makes 3 cups and it said to add 1 tsp. meringue powder to it to stabilize in the heat (btw - I live near Gulf Shores, AL...crazy hot/humid here too!). It said to add the 1tsp. powder and then spread just a little bit on some wax/parchment paper...let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then touch to see if it's crusted enough for your liking (meanwhile - cover the bowl of frosting with a damp towel and place in fridge so it doesn't dry out or get too crusty). If you need it a little "crustier" icon_confused.gif add 1 more tsp. and remix briefly but thoroughly.

Never used this recipe, but I'll let you know how it turned out after I finish the cake tomorrow!

Jennifer

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:57am
post #4 of 5

I use the wilton class buttercream recipe here it is as follows

1c white vegetable shorting
1 tsp clear flavor (vanilla, butter, almond ect)
2 tblsp water or milk (I use water)
1 lb pure cane confectioner's sugar roughly 4 cups (hehe in my case 4 large cups)
1 tablespoon wilton meringe powder

that is what i use for stiff (roses ect)

I normally just add water as I go to make it smoother and thiner for icing and I take out just a little bit more for crusting and add just a little more water for the crusting process.....I live in SW Texas and you can never tell what the weather is going to be like here. This works well for me.

Hope this helps MC

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 4:01am
post #5 of 5

Opps I forgot to add this is a 3 cup recipe. I normally double it and triple it depending on the size cake that I am baking. MC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%