Why Are Kids Like This?

Decorating By mbelgard Updated 12 Dec 2006 , 11:50pm by krzyzak

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 14

I'm about ready to strangle my 8 year old and tell him that he doesn't get any more decorated cakes. icon_mad.gif

In October I worked really hard and made him a stack of books in a Harry Potter theme. I made cupcakes into bags of bertie botts beans. A wand, glasses, ink pot and snitch out of candy clay. I made a quill out of gumpaste and made the bottom book the "Monster Book of Monsters" from the movies. It was a reallly cool cake and it was what he said he wanted.

Saturday we had my youngest's party, his actual birthday is tommorow, and I made a Cars themed cake. I bought the cars, made rocks and stuff out of candy clay and molded some letters. It was what he wanted and I was happy with how it turned out.

When the eight year old got home Friday and saw the cake he started complaining that his cake wasn't nearly as neat as his brother's was. icon_eek.gificon_mad.gificon_eek.gificon_mad.gif

Both cakes are in my photos, the first one is the one that's supposedly better.

13 replies
sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 14

I think its called sibling rivalry...and it runs rampant in my house too....lol

she gets this, and i don't! his is better than mine! blah blah blah....

kylie

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 14

I feel your pain! my kids are the same way. Mostly my oldest, he says that when i make cakes for my nieces and nephews.
i have my good and bad days with cakes. Sometimes they are good, sometimes not. there's nothing i can do. I really try my best with all.
IMHO...this is the case with kids and grown ups. LOL it's just hard to please everyone and make everyone happy.

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 14

Just tell him that you just love the youngest best and to deal with it.
Just Kidding.

Actually I've noticed with kids the other child's things are always better. But, if you were to have made the cars cake for him and the Harry Potter cake for his brother he would have probably done the same thing. Kids!

BTW, I love you Harry Potter cake. I want one just like it.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 14

Kids will be kids. They don't understand how much effort goes into each cake and that you do your best with each one - sometimes they might just like the theme of one better once they see it. It is hard not to take it personally but you have to try not to. All you can do is explain that you try your best for everyone and that they have all the way to their next birthday to think of something even COOLER for you to try!

I think both of your cakes are really amazing and you did a wonderful job on both. Personally, I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan and that cake is my fave of the 2 of them! The Dark Arts book with the teeth looks just like it did in the movie!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 14

Sibling rivalry, definantly. Geez, ds just can down "Why didn't I get socks and underwear like she did?" Um, if you don't need it you don't get it. Maybe exchange his gifts for underwear, ya think?

Both cakes are wonderful! Tell him every cake you make is getting better. Also, he should make wiser decisions on what he wants, you can only work with what he gives you icon_wink.gif

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 14

I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!!!!! My boys fight over everything! The oldest thinks the 2nd one gets more/better, the 2nd thinks the other two get it all, the "baby" thinks everything should be his! icon_cry.gif

Personally, both cakes are fabulous, but I am also an HP fan, so it's my fave! Good luck, just keep on baking!

mbelgard Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 14

My husband and I think that the HP cake is better too, that's what has me annoyed. A friend of ours couldn't quite believe it either and my mother thought that the Cars cake was cute but the HP cake was better.

aboelkens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aboelkens Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 14

I am sorry your 8 year said that. You have to remember that it is difficult for children to see much more than the here and now. His brother had a cool cake at that moment. His is long gone, when his birthday rolls around again, your younger child might be singing the same tune. icon_lol.gif When it is all said and done, they will always remember the awesome cakes Mom made for them.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 11:20pm
post #10 of 14

My girls are famous for this. My oldest told me yesterday that the two younger girls are not as disiplined as she was? icon_mad.gif 1) she was an only child, although I worked 12-16 hrs a day & a single parent; her sitter was a friend of mine. Who knew what I allowed & didn't allow. 2) Once her sisters were born, we had moved next door to in-laws ( BIG MISTAKE). When I would disipline them, Nana would pet them. UGHHHHH. daddy is the softy of the two of us. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
I told her " What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." icon_rolleyes.gif She rools her eyes & walks away. Although she is hardly at home on the weekends. the girls go nowhere.
Just smile & tell them if they don't stop their children will be like you & not them. icon_twisted.gif

krzyzak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krzyzak Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 14

how did you do this cake i was thinking about making a cake simaler to it with a x-mas theme to send with my dh to work the guys are asking him when he is bring in a nether one of my cakes so i thought i would send in one for chrismas.

mbelgard Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 11:24pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by krzyzak

how did you do this cake i was thinking about making a cake simaler to it with a x-mas theme to send with my dh to work the guys are asking him when he is bring in a nether one of my cakes so i thought i would send in one for chrismas.

Which one are you talking about?

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 14

its sibling rivalry for sure. the cakes are cool.... i love the harry potter theme best.....not that you asked. icon_smile.gif

krzyzak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krzyzak Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 14

the one with the cars. my dh works on diesal trucks. last night i was thinking of make a cake were a truck was pulling a slid up to the top were a x-mas tree was.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%