How Do I Make Red? No Matter What I Try It Won't Turn Red.

Decorating By GeminiKim Updated 14 Dec 2006 , 11:00pm by dodibug

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 14

I first added ALOT of Wilton No Taste Red - trying to make a pink base. I then added Americolor Super Red - it's still not red.

I mixed it last night and this am it wasn't any better. I am hoping it's darker when I get home from work. I feel that when ever I need a true color, I need to go buy the Wilton pre-made tubes.

What the heck am I doing wrong? What is the secret to red icing?

Please help. icon_cry.gif

13 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 14

Sounds like you already added a lot, so set it down and walk away! icon_biggrin.gif It will darken over time. That is the problem with the darker colors--you need to let them set a little bit to let them darken or else you will waste a lot of color gel.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 14

I also had to use red icing for my Santa Clause this past weekend and I ended up having to use Wilton's No Taste Red + Americolor's Super Red - most of the tubes from both, then as missyek suggested to you, I walked away for a bit and let the color settle and got a good red color. Red and Black - always the hardest colors to achieve.

ShanonR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanonR Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 14

I haven't personally tried this but my Wilton instructor told me to add a package of cherry Kool-aide mix to the frosting then try to tint it with red. The only problem is that your icing will taste like the Kool-aide...if you consider that a problem.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 14

I dont know if you can buy this were you live, but down here in Aus, we can get powdered colors that are made in France (the container doesn't have a name on it, sorry) and the dye content is really stronge and it works great. it is expensive at about $18.00 Aus for a jar, but worth the expense.

there is a red and black cake in my pics, which i used this powder to get the red..

kylie

edited to insert a link.

http://www.cakedeco.com.au/product.asp?productID=3012

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 14

To get a really red color you have to mix it for a few days. As it sets it will darken a shade or two. It will eventually turn red but you have to be patient.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

To get a really red color you have to mix it for a few days. As it sets it will darken a shade or two. It will eventually turn red but you have to be patient.

I usually only wait maybe an hour and the color turns just fine. If way too much gel has been put in, then after a couple of days it will be super dark. It is just a matter of getting used to how much gel you really need. I tend to make dark colors a lot, so I have kinda figure how much Americolor I need to squeeze in each batch of icing.

HeatherDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherDawn Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 14

You can also try starting your color off with pink. I usually do a hot pink or some shade of dark pink. Makes it easier. Then add your red. I have found that just plain ole red coloring is not really that red. YOu can mix other reds in with it. Christmas red, super red, flame red..... etc. If mix a couple you will get what you want. Good luck!!!

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 14

I usually mix Wilton red red and no taste red. You do have to use a lot and like others said, let it sit awhile. Hope this helps

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 14

If you're using the Wilton no taste red you'll need to add 1 oz (which is the entire jar of paste coloring) per 1 cup of icing. It's a lot, but you will get a red color & also the icing will get a little darker after it dries. If you look at my car cake in my photos, I used the 1 oz per 1 cup ratio & that's the color I got. Good luck!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 14

missyek, I guess it just depends on how much icing you are trying to tint red. I've done an entire 4 teir cake (in my photos) in red and it took two weeks to get it the right color. If you are just making a cup or two it wouldn't take as long. I make icing in huge batches....so I'm not use to working with the smaller quantities. icon_razz.gif

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 12:02am
post #12 of 14

I always use the store bought tubes as starters for red, then I add my own bc and more red dye and let set.
For black I use canned chocolate fudge frosting as my starter too.
Good luck icon_wink.gif

cakergreg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakergreg Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 10:42pm
post #13 of 14

I found that if you color the icing very orange first and then add the red color to the icing and let it sit for a few hours, it will be very red. Also I make my black icing by first coloring the icing a dark brown, then adding the black color.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 11:00pm
post #14 of 14

If you are using the Americolors it actually works against you to start with pink or orange to get to red. I've never had a problem or had to use the whole bottle of Super Red (or Super Black) to get a true red or black. It must depend on the type of buttercream that you start with. Hmmmm, I wonder what the key is!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%