? For Those Of You Who Do Wedding Cakes On A Regular Basis..

Decorating By hsmomma Updated 10 Oct 2007 , 2:34am by vdrsolo

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 12:32am
post #1 of 18

What is your trick to staying organized? (I don't mean cake supplies...I mean actual wedding details.) I'm a very organized person. I have my planner that I "schedule" all my Weddings in. I try and write notes in each box on my calendar of a booked cake to quickly jog my memory of the Bride/cake. That way if they call or email, it's quick to just open the book and recall what cake they want/who they are. But, it doesn't seem like enough. I'm thinking about creating a complete filing system of every Bride/Groom. That way ANY time that they call, I have a place to jot down every detail and file for the next time I talk to them. No details or conversations can get lost that way. Is that what you do? Any advice for staying organized and on top of ALL the details? So far, I've been very good about staying organized. But, I'm getting busier and busier and finding that my "old" system is not working as well. So many Brides to keep track of...I NEVER want them to get the impression from me that their business isn't important to me ~ because it really is. And I am completely thrilled that they chose me to do their cake. And I want every cake to be the best ~ exactly what they are dreaming of.
Also, when do you give your Brides their contract? I was giving it to them within a week or so after they book but, obviously, things change before the wedding (guest count, sometimes the entire cake). So, I've changed and starting giving them a receipt for their deposit and telling them that they will receive their contract 3 weeks before their wedding when details are finalized. Is that a good way to go about it? What do you do?
Thanks for your help!

17 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 12:41am
post #2 of 18

During the consultation, I complete a worksheet with all the details I need for the cake, and do all my sketches on the back. I complete an invoice during the consultation also. If they book, then I complete the contract then also. I keep all the originals in my file including a copy of the deposit check or charge card receipt, and give copies to the bride. Each bride then has a file in my large accordian case. When a bride calls with changes, I listen, ask questions, then ask her to put all that in an email. I then print that off and put it in her file. I always, always require brides to send changes by email so that I have a written record.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:11am
post #3 of 18

I'm with leahs. Everything I do is via email. The order form, the contract, the cake sketch with notes (which I do in excel....I'm not as talented as Doug!). Too much can get lost in the you-said-I-said conversations. I always send the email "to confirm our conversation".

All of my order forms are electronic. Any changes are updated on the form and a new, dated, copy is emailed to the bride with my "to confirm our conversation" email. The only time I convert it to paper is when I print it out one week prior to the wedding so I can take it with me to the event.

WHen I get a call, all I have to do is grab my laptop (which is wireless so I can even take a call in the bathroom!) and open their file to see what we have down. I've started taking all of my notes directly on the laptop during the consultation so there are no handwritten notes that need filed.

When I send the quote after the consultation, I include the phrasing:

"Be sure that what I've written down is what you are expecting. As you can imagine, I speak to a lot of brides, and between now and your wedding I will NOT remember our conversation. The forms are the documents I will work from when creating your cake/buffet. If it's not written down, it's not happening."

My order forms and my contract are two different documents. The Terms of Agreement include the phrase "This document, plus the order forms with food and cake details, together constitutes the contractual agreement between Cater It Simple and the client." So I never have to worry about the actual headcount when the order is placed. I need that number 3 weeks before the event.

If you want to see the documents I created, PM me your email and I'll send you a copy.

weddingsbymindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weddingsbymindy Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:42am
post #4 of 18

This is interesting we seem to do the same things! Only I do both, since we started with paper we still print everything out to place in a physical file. I would recommend you file be waterproof as a had an air conditioner leek & our files were safe! All contracts are signed at time of booking, then I email a copy to the client with cc to groom, mom or whoever the bride asks. I would not keep a master list/calendar on paper only, use an on line filing system such as Yahoo calendar attached to your mail so that you can access your schedule from any computer. I also back up all document files on CD each month, learned that the hard way when my computer died & had to use hubby for 3 weeks! We too are wireless on laptops so it can go home (40 feet away) into the kitchen or outside on a nice day.

Indydebi I love your CYA clause "put it in writing" I recently added a no refunds, no exceptions clause. Then a week later a bride said the fresh flowers (provided by her) were wrong & wanted a partial refund.... sorry your contract says no refunds! I did give her a credit since I am too nice.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:49am
post #5 of 18

organized? you did say ORGANIZED, right??

what's that like??? icon_confused.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

DelightsByE Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:52am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

WHen I get a call, all I have to do is grab my laptop (which is wireless so I can even take a call in the bathroom!)

PLEASE debi tell me you don't actually do this icon_razz.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:53am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

Quote:

WHen I get a call, all I have to do is grab my laptop (which is wireless so I can even take a call in the bathroom!)

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif No, I don't. I CAN ..... but I don't!

DelightsByE Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:59am
post #8 of 18

All kidding and quips aside....

I have my order form preloaded when I meet with a bride, so all I have to do is fill in details and print copies. I print 2 - the bride signs both, I sign both, She gets a file folder, I get a file folder, and the order form gets saved on the laptop. It gets tagged into my ACT! database, which then sends me alerts to remind me to make follow up calls, billing for final or installment payments, order products, send thank you cards, etc.

DelightsByE Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:03am
post #9 of 18
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif No, I don't. I CAN ..... but I don't!

whew!!! thank heavens.....

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Jessica176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica176 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:07am
post #10 of 18

There is a lady here on CC that developed a program called cake boss. I haven't used it, but quite a few people here have and it seems to be really good. From what I can tell about it, it keeps track of your orders, contracts etc... so it probably does everything you are asking about.

The lady who does cake boss is kelleym. I have done a search through the forums and came up with this thread that might come in handy: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-330753-boss.html
Kelleym is actually one of the posters, and the others are talking about it, so it might give you some info.

Hope this helps!

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:16am
post #11 of 18

What helpful tips I really need help with organization it is my worst enemy!!!

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:49pm
post #12 of 18

Cakeboss does not have contracts included in the program (that would be hard to do since we all have different ones), BUT, it is absolutely awesome for everything else! I love it, love it, love it! Keeps track of all of your customers, orders (past and present), prints invoices, you can track cost and profit for each order, and you can pull reports (which I love too! makes it very easy when paying taxes, looking at sales over any period of time, etc). For me this pulls just about everything together in one place, cant get much better than that. And, great customer service, if I have a question/suggestion I hear from Kelley right away! Worth every penny. thumbs_up.gif

Oh, how did I forget, there is also a calendar which uploads your orders once entered.... love it.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 18

Aw, thanks Beth! icon_lol.gif Anybody who is interested can sign up for a free 30-day trial of CakeBoss at www.cakeboss.com/trialedition.aspx thumbs_up.gif

hsmomma Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 10:52pm
post #14 of 18

Thank you everyone so much for sharing your tips. I LOVE to be organized ~ I have to be...my husband and I own our cake business and store and homeschool our 5 children. I seriously HAVE to be organized! Your tips will definitely help me. It's always great to see what you pro's do that works.
I may have to try that cakeboss program.

indydebi ~ I'm really curious about what program you are talking about that sends you alerts...that sounds like JUST what I need! I want my Brides to know that I am on top of it ~ and I don't want anyone to get lost from my thoughts...that reminder to send out emails or calls sounds perfect! What kind of program is it? Thanks again, you are always so helpful!

hsmomma Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 10:53pm
post #15 of 18

Thank you everyone so much for sharing your tips. I LOVE to be organized ~ I have to be...my husband and I own our cake business and store and homeschool our 5 children. I seriously HAVE to be organized! Your tips will definitely help me. It's always great to see what you pro's do that works.
I may have to try that cakeboss program.

indydebi ~ I'm really curious about what program you are talking about that sends you alerts...that sounds like JUST what I need! I want my Brides to know that I am on top of it ~ and I don't want anyone to get lost from my thoughts...that reminder to send out emails or calls sounds perfect! What kind of program is it? Thanks again, you are always so helpful!

indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 11:01pm
post #16 of 18

hsmomma, I think you confused me with someone else. I don't have a program that does that.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 12:35am
post #17 of 18

Outlook will send you alerts.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:34am
post #18 of 18

All of my booked brides leave with a contract.

I use carbon paper between each of the sheets so each of us has a copy. One of these days, if my desktop give out, I'll get a laptop computer so I can do everything from there.

If changes are made to the contract, it is made as an addendum change, of course each of us has a copy. Everything must be in writing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%