2 Or 3 Inches Cake Pan?

Decorating By surfergina Updated 13 Dec 2006 , 5:04pm by springlakecake

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 9

I'm starting to order some cake pans for my home-based business, but I'm having a hard time deciding which size to buy - 2 or 3 inches? I've looked at some of Wilton's cake decorating books and most pans' size are 2 inches.

Why there are pans that are 3 inches? Which size would you normally use for your wedding cake?

Just wondering..

8 replies
PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 9

i usually bake wedding layers in 3 inch pans. I have both now though.

ang_ty95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ty95 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 9

My Wilton Instructor suggested 3" high for wedding cakes OR baking 2" cakes twice to get a nice 4" high cake just be sure to charge accordingly.

CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 9

I could be totally wrong on this but it seems like I heard somewhere that wedding cakes in Canada are only 3" tall and most wedding cakes in America are 4" tall so we bake 2-2" cakes. Like I said, I could have been dreaming that but seems like an instructor somewhere told me that.
You could always order both sets and use the 3" for those brides who don't want quite so much cake but still want the same size diameter cake, if that makes sense. Just some thoughts!! Good Luck!

surfergina Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 9

If most bakers use 3" high, then why Wilton cake decorating book (for example "Wilton Tiered Cakes" - the one with pink and white that has globes teirs) recommended 2"??? icon_confused.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 9

this is my take on the 2 or 3' pans. Looking in the wilton books most wedding cakes are made using 2 2" layers, tiered party cakes are made using a 3" cake torted, making it just slightly shorter than a wedding cake. Therefore in my opinion a tiered party cake using a torted 3" cake should be priced differantly to a wedding tiered cake, but i think that is another discussion for another time. I myself use 2" pans for weddings and 3" pans for my sheet cakes. haven't done any tiered party cakes.

ang_ty95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ty95 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 1:24am
post #7 of 9

I called my Wilton Instructor and she said it's a personal choice - 3", 2" the choice is yours. Her business is here in Toronto, Ontario Canada and she always bakes 2 - 2" cakes with no complaints from her clients.

surfergina Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 9

So that mean there's no difference in cake batter measurement? Let's say one batch of cake batter in 2" and one for 3", right?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 9

there is some difference in cake batter amounts for using 2 and 3 inch pans. I think the wilton books have pretty good batter amounts. For example a 8 inch x 3 inch round pan takes 5 cups batter and the 8 inch by 2 inch round pan takes 3 cups (therefore you would need 6 cups for 2 2 inch pans)

I had all 3 inch pans, but recently I bought some 2 inch pans. I have to say I really like the height that the 2 inch pans give.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%