Wrinkled Buttercream...what Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By lisap Updated 13 Dec 2006 , 9:54pm by ahmommy

lisap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisap Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 16

I use a crusting buttercream recipe (think I got it from CC) with merengue powder, cornstarch, popcorn salt, crisco, flavorings/water, and powerdered sugar. Tastes great and crusts beautifully. I either use a viva paper towel or the foam roller to smooth. Problem is after a while, the icing starts to crinkle. It doesn't actually crack so it isn't a support problem but it starts to get these little crinkles in it (kind of like elephant skin or crinkled saran wrap. Any ideas what causes this? Am I using a bad recipe or is it too dry? Am I overworking the icing trying to get it super smooth? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

15 replies
nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 16

I think it's too much powdered sugar, but I don't know. So hopefully someone on here does. So here's a bump for you.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 16

Just because it doesn't crack all the way doesn't mean that it couldn't be a support problem, however, having said that I don't know exactly what types of boards you use. Does it happen more often with sheet cakes? I've had this happen when I moved the cake too much....or let me say....someone ELSE moved the cake too much!

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 16

Bump, I get the same problem sometimes. I use the Buttercream recipe from the Wilton cake class booklets.

kady1158 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kady1158 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 16

I get the same problem also, on my sheet cakes. In my case it was caused by the cardboard the cake was on not being sturdy enough and would bernd slightly whenever the cake was moved, causing my icing to buckle. My only solution was to glue three boards together for greater stability...Kim

Diesel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diesel Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 16

It really could be a support thing. I have switched to using the masonite boards and they are fantastic for support!

Also, maybe you should try a different recipe. I have been using the buttercream dream recipe from this site with a couple modifications. Instead of using 1 stick salted and 1 stick unsalted butter, I increase it to 1.5 sticks each and then decrease my shortening to 1/2 cup. I'm trying to get away from shortening but I live in a pretty humid area so I haven't given it up totally. I then use multiple flavorings, the whole 2lbs powdered sugar and then for the most part 6 Tablespoons cold milk. This varies to help the consistency you need. It's a great recipe with lots of great compliments.

Good luck!

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 16

My guess would be, the cornstarch is causing it. Cornstarch is a stiffener and so is the meringue. I would use one or the other but not both.

lisap Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks for the suggestions. I really don't think it is support-sometimes I notice it before I even move the cake and it also happens when I use my thick wooden boards. I'll have to experiment with the recipe and see if anything works better. Thanks again.

lisap Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks for the suggestions. I really don't think it is support-sometimes I notice it before I even move the cake and it also happens when I use my thick wooden boards. I'll have to experiment with the recipe and see if anything works better. Thanks again.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 16

Once I read that if you add a small amount of vinegar to the buttercream, it won't crack. Mine does the same thing. I haven't had a change to try the vinegar . If I remember right, they added 1/2 teaspoon vinegar for every 2 pounds powdered sugar. On the thread I read, it said that the vinegar didn't change the taste of the butter cream.

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 16

I notice my buttercream does this too if I wait too long before smoothing. I usually ice the cake, then wait until it is just set, then smooth right away. It seems the more time it has to set, the crustier (is that a word?) it gets!

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 12:08am
post #12 of 16

Is this what you're talking about? (see pic) I have the same problem now and then. The cake will be smooth and then it ends up with wrinkles like you say, not cracks and they can't be smoothed because theicing has already crusted. it's most noticeable on the edges. I don't know what causes it either icon_cry.gif !
LL

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:44am
post #13 of 16

Are you using an uncovered cardboard circle directly under the cake? I assume if you are, the cardboard is sopping up all the moisture/fat from your cake and/or icing causing the cake to shrink. Since the crust has already formed it krinkles from the shrinkage underneath. Do ya think?

Lora

lisap Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 1:06pm
post #14 of 16

That picture is exactly what happens to my buttercream. Thank you for the visual! I don't use uncovered cardboard so it can't be that. I'll have to try the vinegar added to the buttercream. Thanks again!

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:18pm
post #15 of 16

You could have a cake that is too dry.

Or too much water in your bc could also be the problem.

Lora

ahmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahmommy Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 9:54pm
post #16 of 16

Same thing happens to me, but only with sheet cakes. It is really annoying!!!!!! Will also try the vinegar. Have you heard of using a specific kind????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%