Just Need To Vent!!!

Decorating By CakeL8T Updated 12 Dec 2006 , 5:18pm by mmdd

CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 8

I am an independent baker and last night I meet w/ a bride/groom to discuss their wedding cake for Feb. 3rd. When I set up this meeting I asked the groom to bring pictures of cakes they liked so I would have some idea of where to start. They brought 2 pictures of TOTALLY differnt cakes and when I asked what they liked about them the bride just looks at me and shrugs her shoulders and says "Nothing really"!!!!! I'm thinking, then why bring these pics??? Then the groom proceeds to look thru my cake books and photo albums and the bride just sits there like a bump on a log. She maybe said 20 words in our whole hour meeting!! I would ask do you want your cake stacked or seperated and she couldn't even answer that question. I tried to pry several answers about cake out of her but it's like she was afraid to answer any of them. SO in the hour we met last night I have no idea what they want for a cake, NONE, not even if it's going to be stacked, white or ivory, vanilla or chocolate, NOTHING!!!! It's so irritating to take the time to meet with people then they are clueless. The meeting ended with me telling them as soon as they decide on something they need to let me know because their wedding will be here before they know it!! How do you pry info from someone whom I really don't think has a clue????? icon_mad.gif
Sorry, just needed to vent to some people who understand!!!!!

7 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 8

Been There.....Done That.....and after the 3rd meeting without the bride OR groom (groom's mother showed up...they were "busy") and the questions about doing the wedding cake (pulled sugar roses no less) for LESS than $1.00 per serving. I told her to check out WalMart...which I learned later she actually DID and paid more than $1.00 / serving. REALLY!! Now wasn't THAT a surprise!

I would probably call them and give them one week to come up with something and if they haven't called by ____date at _____time. You will not do the cake. NOTHING is more important to me than my time and I HATE to waste it on inconsiderate people!

Beth in KY

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 8

Wow. Why would they make an appointment to discuss the cake and then not try to get something accomplished in that meeting? Weird!
Maybe she was intimidated by her fiance and afraid to give her opinion? Or maybe she was on drugs?
hahaha

I knew exactly what I wanted when I met to discuss my wedding cake, and that was before I ever got into cake decorating myself.

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 8

I've been there - it happens a lot. Brides get overwhelmed sometimes and sometimes they really dont care that much about the cake. I take that as an opportunity to suggest a cake I really want to make ...

look on the bright side! icon_smile.gif

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 8

Good point, PerryStCakes- some people need more guidance than others. And as hard as it is to believe, not everyone cares about the cake!

I would in the future be prepared with examples of cakes you WANTED to do- like PSC suggested. That way if you have an indecisive bride you won't waste an hour or more trying to get an answer and you can gently push them in the direction you want. Good luck!

Amber

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 8

maybe the bride is having a bad day or is having some other issues going on and is a little down... I don't know-- I act that way when something is really brothering me.... I would call them in a week and see if they have decided on something and if not-- they need to decide by xxx date.

CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the suggestion of cakes I'd like to try. I will definetly keep that in mind. The odd thing is, her fiance kept saying "Just tell me if you see something you like", and she did point to a couple of pictures but they were totally differnt as well and when I would as what she liked about that cake, she really couldn't say. I would ask is it the borders, the color, the way it's stacked, still nothing!!! Oh well, I'll keep in touch with them but if they wait too long I'll just have to say sorry!!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 8

I had a bride do this to me one time-she just sat there.

I'd heard that she was kinda shy, but I think she just acted like she flat out didn't know what she wanted at all.

I ended up getting things done through the grandmother.

When I married, I hadn't ventured into cakes yet and trust me, Igave them every detail on what I wanted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%