Help On Stacked Construction Please

Decorating By Momof-4 Updated 8 Oct 2007 , 6:10pm by indydebi

Momof-4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof-4 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 7

I am getting ready to do a practice run on a cake for my son's 2nd b-day in Nov.I want to do one now since I have never done stacked construction before.I am reading the Wilton yearbook.I have my cake boards and dowels.I am doing a 12", 10" and 8".I think I understand the directions I am seeing about putting the dowels in the 12 and 10".My question is how do the dowels help if they are only through the one level?If you cut them off even how does the 12" help support the 10"? Also what makes the 10" not sink into the 12" if its buttecream? I realize it will be on a cake board but won't that push down into the layer below it? Also how do you cut the cake if it has all the dowels in it?

Sorry for all the questions.Thanks in advance for any advice icon_smile.gif

Jamie

6 replies
4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 7

the dowels create a sub floor for support that's what the next level sits on to keep from sinking into the one underneath hth

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 7

It's very easy.

The 10" cake is not sitting on the 12" cake .... it is sitting on the dowels that you have inserted into the 12" cake and you have cut them off level with the top of the 12" cake (level with the top of the 12" cake AFTER it's been iced, they are actually cut off level with the top of the icing, rather than level with the top of the cake).

The 10" won't sink into the 12" because it's sitting on the dowel rods.

Repeat the process for the 10" and the 8" .... dowels in the 10" cake will support the 8" cake.

I only put 4 dowels in each cake. When you cut the cake, you lift the 10" cake off of the 12" cake; you pull the dowels out of the 12" cake; you then cut the 12" cake.

Let us know if I missed anthing for you.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 7

Let's see if I can shed some light.... the dowels in the 12" are supporting the 10" from sinking into it. Make sure you have plenty of dowels cut even...say 8 dowels. I also use 2 cardboards under each cake tier for extra support. The dowels in the 10" will support the 8" from sinking in. You don't need as many dowels in the 10 as you do the 12". Once the cakes are frosted then put dowels in them... stack and finish borders. THe dowels need to be removed from one layer at a time when cutting that layer, hope I didn't confuse you more.

Momof-4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof-4 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 7

icon_redface.gif Thanks Ladies! I get it now.I have been wanting to try this forever.I am scared.LOL So the top layer just gets the one dowel that goes all the way down? If I cover the top layer in fondant how do I cover the hole from the dowel that goes through all the layers?

Thanks again,
Jamie

indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 7

I would caution against too many dowels. It turns the cake into swiss cheese, which makes it difficult to cut and, to me, damages the structural stability of the cake. I've cut wedding cakes made by other bakeries/decorators who think 'more is better' dowel-wise and the cake was a mess!

Seriously.....I've made stacked cakes that were 16/14/12/10/8 and I might put 5 dowels in the 16" but never more than 4 dowels in any other tier. Holds up fine.

indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 7

Are you having the party at your house or are you transporting the cake somewhere? If you're having it at your house, I wouldn't do the dowel-all-the-way-thru.....it's not needed. This dowel prevents shifting during movement and if you're not moving the cake anywhere, then you don't need this.

If you are moving/transporting the cake, then it will be a good stablizer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%