Please Help!!!!

Decorating By OhMyGoodies Updated 12 Dec 2006 , 12:16am by OhMyGoodies

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 5

Ok I have a Dora the Explorer cake and 36 mini cupcakes due on Sunday. The problems I'm having are this... since it's the holiday season I am very short on time and am being forced to make the cake and cupcakes on Thursday and decorate them on Friday since I will be gone all of Saturday and Saturday night.... Now the cakes I made this last week... I made them on Thursday let them sit until friday... I decorated them friday and let them sit until saturday afternoon delievery. When we cut them the icing was so hard the details just flaked off and it wasn't moist and soft (the icing) at all icon_cry.gif which is probably why I didn't get any orders... ANYWAY!!!!

I need a semi non crusting butter cream recipe to do this dora cake. I will have room in the fridge to put it after I decorate it but am still worried it will be too hard by sunday.... I could probably squeeze the decorating into saturday morning if I HAD to but I'm worried about that because where it's a character cake it's mainly stars and that takes HOURS!!! and I don't have hours on saturday available.

So does anyone have a good butter cream recipe for this situation? One that is good enough to smoothly ice the bottom and sides of the dora cake but also good enough to hold up to the star and border decorations as well as a fancy swirl ontop the cupcakes.... Currently I use the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco recipe.... HELP PLEASE!!!!

TIA Becky

4 replies
doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 5

I lessen the "crustyness" by adding an additional 1/2 cup butter to my doubled wilton bc recipe.

Hopefully that helps, or someone else has a better recipe.

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 12:00am
post #3 of 5

try the IMBC recipe on this site

OhMyGoodies Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 12:13am
post #4 of 5

Ok I looked into the IMBC recipe and it's just not doable right now. I live at my parent's home and my dad is very old and very finiky (sp) and so is my mom... and it's basically the less time spent in the kitchen making icing is better....

My husband normally stays up ALL night (even on work nights bless his heart) making the BC icing for me before I do a cake... I bake during the day while parent's are at work and kids are at school so I don't have any interuptions and stuff... so something simple and easy will be best icon_sad.gif

Also the current recipe if I put the FINISHED cake in the fridge after I'm done will it stay soft once it comes back to room temp???? I did this with another cake before and it was delicious but I don't remember if we used the same type of BC or not :-s we've tried so many different ones until this one stuck since everyone likes it lol. The full crisco recipe (Wilton's recipe) sucks bad lol everyone hates it.... Any more help is greatly appreciated as well icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your help ladies! icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 12:16am
post #5 of 5

I actually just checked wilton's recipe box and it seems that the BC icing recipe listed is infact the one I use lmao who'da thunk it lmao.... Anyway I told him to add 1/4 cup of extra butter to each batch and we'll work with that and see what happens and if it still crusts up bad I'll just have to give her her money back icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%