Fondant Emergency Help!!!!!

Decorating By ukrikki Updated 12 Dec 2006 , 5:03pm by ukrikki

ukrikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ukrikki Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 6

This is the first time I am using fondant icing to decorate my Christmas cakes, I read somewhere that I need to brush the marzipan/almond paste with clear alcohol before I lay the fondant icing on it, my thought was to use kirsch, but I am in a silly little english town, where when I ask for silly things like that I am looked at like an IDIOT! needless to say I can't get it, even the guy in the liquor store told me its very hard to come by! please can someone tell me if this is correct re the alcohol or is there another way to do it. Just please remember BACKWARDS town!! The cakes are for this weekend!
Thanks any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Rikki

5 replies
CakePhun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePhun Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 6

as I recall you just need something to adhere the fondant to the marzipan. Can't you use just a bit of water on a brush here and there?

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 6

Or you may use some apricot preserves, no pieces of fruit, just the syrup. HTH

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 6

You can basically use anything you want, the point is just to dampen the cake so the icing will adhere, you could brush it with sugar syrup, jam, alcohol, really whatever you fancy. It's a balancing act too, you don't want it to be so wet that it turns the icing to mush, and you don't want it to be too dry that the exercise was pointless.

In my class the teacher suggested brushing the almond paste, as then you don't get cake crumbs as you would if you brush the cake directly.

HTH.

Nicole

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 1:29am
post #5 of 6

A little watered down Rum or Brandy would also work and taste good with the christmas cake.

Kathy

ukrikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ukrikki Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for your help, I am really having a hard time here in the UK getting stuff I need to do my cake decorating, seems if you don't live in London you have had it. At least I have found Selfridges and they sell CRISCO!! and most of the Betty Crocker cake mixes (£4.00 a box thats about $8.00 Canadian) and not just chocolate, which is all I can get in my local supermarket.
I will post a picture of the cakes when they are done!
This is also a trial for two wedding cakes I have on order for the summer that are to be iced with fondant, now I just have to find cake separators, wish me luck!

Rikki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%