Half Or Not

Decorating By debbieann Updated 9 Oct 2007 , 5:44pm by cakes-r-us

debbieann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbieann Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 10

i own a small cake business from my home and i would like the customers to start paying half down and the other half when they pick up there orders. does anybody else out there does that and how has it work out for you. i did get a credit card machine and a few times the customers allow me to write down there numbers and later came to pick up there orders but i was thinking the were giving me the wrong info. but they did come. some people have a problem with putting money down their complaint is, when i go to other stores and place orders i pay when i pick up or they will say what if i don't like it and yo already have my money. i try to let them know that they are getting a fresh cake not frozen and prepackage and if they don't come and pick it up for whatever the reason is i will be out also i don't have a walmart store that i can place it in a shelf and people stop by and buy the cake. maybe i should use the card machine when they are placing orders 2 day prior there event.
please tell me what you think because i do value cake central advice.
deb

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 10

Why are you thinking they gave you the 'wrong info' when they give you a credit card number? Did they payment not go thru? Do you run the payment right away to make sure the card is valid? This should be a no-brainer.

'what if I don't like it, then you already have my money?' Are they EXPECTING to not like your cake? If so, then why are they ordering from you? If there is a legitimate issue, I'm sure you would be willing to either correct it or make an adjustment.

"when I go to other stores......" Well, I dont' care how other stores do it. This is how *I* do it. I don't make food on spec ... I make food to order.

And while we're on "other stores"...... if they are ordering CUSTOMIZED wedding invitations, or CUSTOMIZED furniture, or CUSTOMIZED shirts with a logo on it, other stores WILL charge them a deposit. If they want a mass-produced-I-don't-care-who-buys-it cake, then they can go to the grocery and pick one up from the shelf. Same with a customized cake. If they don't pick it up or (try to) cancel it last minute, it's not like you can set it out and sell it to just anybody who's NOT walking thru your living room!

My question is what is the average price of the cakes you are selling? I don't collect deposits for small orders, only wedding cakes. If you really want a deposit on small cakes, and if your cakes are under $100, and if you're getting credit card number anyway, I'd set a policy of "anything under $100 (or $50 or whatever you decide) must be paid in full at time of order." If they question "what if I don't like it?" you respond with "what if you don't pick it up?"

Throw the ball back into their court. Sometimes you just have to educate your customers. The training is rough, but it has to be done.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 10

I collect half down on all wedding cakes, plus any cake for a first-time customer. No one has ever complained, in fact, sometimes they ask me if they should send a deposit before I can tell them to! I tell them to mail me a check, and the date will confirmed reserved when I receive the check.

They are reserving your services with that money and using it as a promise that they won't just cancel at the last minute, or even worse, never show up to get the cake. Debi is right, nearly all custom services require a deposit of some sort, and 1/2 is not unusual.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 10

Definitely take at least as much money as you would be out if they happened not to pick it up. As far as the "what if I don't like it?" question....
why would they be ordering from you in the first place? If you are confident in your work, then you should guarantee that they will like it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 10

I have it stated that I must receive 50% when the order is placed and then the remaining 50% at time of delivery. I have never had anyone pay 50/50 they always pay 100% when they order. I also have customers who worry about getting me the money before hand so I can make the cake. There are only a couple of customers that I have now that they can pay me 100% when I delivery (but they are good customers and order quite a bit from me)

As for the "what if I don't like it" I would definitely do like Indydebi said and turn it around on them "what if you don't pick it up"

If they have a problem with it, then you didn't want them for your customer anyways.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 10

Not only do my clients leave a deposit but they have their balances paid 7 days before their event. And depending on when they place their orders they may have to leave an 85% deposit. I also have a few clients who have been around for years that I will allow to pay upon pickup or delivery. But there arent many.

debbieann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbieann Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:12am
post #7 of 10

i would like to think everyone for replying back to me. i understand what you are saying but it has nothing to do with my confidence i know my work is but i wanted to know what other think and if they have that same problem. as for the first statement by indydebi after reading my question i left some things out that i should have made clear but this forum is forum is suppose to be for people who maybe unsure on how to handle a situation not to be ugly when someone thinks it's a no brainer. even if i read something someone writes i will never say that to anyone. i have notice in the past readings that other people have written some of the reply that people write back and if the question frustrates you then don't reply. i rather get no reply that to get a statement from indydebi like i just did. anyway i will still ask for help and if the question seems to be stupid in the readers mind just don't reply. thanks again for those who reply with respect. the next time i will try to be more detail in my questions. just for the record i'm very confident in my work it was the deposit i was asking about.
be bless

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:39am
post #8 of 10

I just started implementing that rule after a customer for a cake 4 days in advance. I baked all of the cakes, made the filling and the BC crumb-coat then realized I hadn't asked her what color to make the base of the "Giant cupcake" (the "liner"). When I called the next day she said, "Oh, we decided to pass" blahblahblah... Was she even going to call me to let me know?

In my town, most bakeries make you pay in full when you place the order.

I liked one of the member's comment on another thread about custom cakes versus bakery cakes: "Would you walk into a dealership looking to buy a BMW for the price of a Chevy?" Well, maybe it's not the perfect analysis but it gets the point across.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 6:25am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieann

i would like to think everyone for replying back to me. i understand what you are saying but it has nothing to do with my confidence i know my work is but i wanted to know what other think and if they have that same problem. as for the first statement by indydebi after reading my question i left some things out that i should have made clear but this forum is forum is suppose to be for people who maybe unsure on how to handle a situation not to be ugly when someone thinks it's a no brainer. even if i read something someone writes i will never say that to anyone. i have notice in the past readings that other people have written some of the reply that people write back and if the question frustrates you then don't reply. i rather get no reply that to get a statement from indydebi like i just did. anyway i will still ask for help and if the question seems to be stupid in the readers mind just don't reply. thanks again for those who reply with respect. the next time i will try to be more detail in my questions. just for the record i'm very confident in my work it was the deposit i was asking about.
be bless

Yes this forum is for asking questions, however I don't feel it's appropriate to bag on people who respond, all advice here is 100% free and it's up to you to take it or leave it, if you didn't like her response then ignore it.

I do feel however that you should re-read indydebi's response, I see nothing in it that indicates her questioning your confidence and in fact she addresses everything you asked and gives you the perfect line to give to customers if they ask why they should have to pay a deposit.

I can see you are relatively new and I do feel you've misunderstood her message. And while I'm openingly contradicting myself by not doing it myself, your response should have been a PM to her if it upset you that much. I say this publicly because I personally feel it would be a travesty if Indydebi were to stop posting her very logical, straight down the line, wise, home-spun, hard knocks learnt, and very valuable advice!

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 10

I agree Nicolevoorhout. I think she misinterpreted the tone of indydebi's response. Also agree that should have been a PM to indydebi; she and others give out such good advise. Indydebi's advise is candid, witty, and useful.

Keep telling it like it is Indy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%