Is It Possible?

Decorating By allycook Updated 8 Oct 2007 , 2:49am by Prudence

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:05am
post #1 of 6

I have been asked do make five cakes each representing a different holiday. The total they all need to feed is 300. My question is, I am a stay at home mom and is it possible to make them all in one week or am I out of my mind. I have it all planned out on what days I will do what. What are your thoughts? The designs are simple yet elegant.

5 replies
Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:13am
post #2 of 6

5 cakes in 1 week due at the same time! WOW! Best of luck to you. It is possible since you are at home, but how busy are you with your children? My first thought would be to bake & freeze as early as possible so you aren't trying to bake & dec at the same time. Depending on the flavors and cake stability & whether or not they require refrigeration, I would probably do a 2 day marathon of decorating. I would, however, be absolutely certain I had everything (fondant, accents, boards, etc) prepared before I started the first one. That is only my opinion - i have never made 5 decorated cakes at one time. Please post a pic when you are done.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:23am
post #3 of 6

Oh sure, absolutely. I did two regular wedding cakes and 240 wedding cupcakes this weekend. And it was a light week.

Just bake ahead, torte, wrap and freeze. Take the cakes out of the freezer, fill and let defrost overnight. Frost and decorate the next day. Deliver.

Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:32am
post #4 of 6

Funny you bring this up. My husband and I were just talking about this!!

I had 2 cakes due in 2 days, one of which I knew way in advance. The other sprung up on me and it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

I did the extreme marathon decorating for 48 hours, almost litterally straight, starting when my kids went to sleep, 9:00pm, until 4:30am! As one of my clients came to pick up her cake, I was doing a version of Edward Scissorhands as she was pulling down my driveway, trying to mak a bow for a clown that was on her cake, which I forgot.

I think Cakerer is right. It IS all about the planning. If you time it just right, and have all of the hard work done in advance, I think you could pull it off.

I am a stay at home Mom to 3: 8, 2 and 1. My 2 & 1 year olds are here ALL of the time. They saw me work on my cakes and played so nice together. Maybe, they are getting used to it.

Please send the licks. I love your work and would love to see how everything turned out.

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:44am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the words of wisdom. My daughter who is at home is 14 and homeschooled. She is helping out with this as well as my 17 year old son in mixing the fondant. I do think the key is planning. I plan on a three day baking spree followed by a day of cover boards and cutting dowels. the last three days are for covering and decoraitn. Will let you know if I survive.

Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:49am
post #6 of 6

OMG!! I meant to say pics, not likcs! HA! Sorry..............

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%