Has Anyone Used Polymer Clay Molds And Rollers?

Decorating By MimiFord Updated 10 Oct 2007 , 2:07am by golfgirl1227

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 13

Particularly for fondant and/or gumpaste work instead of hand molding figures?

These molds are new and have never been used for clay work, so I'd like to buy them if anyone thinks this would be a feasible alternative for someone like me who is artistic impaired icon_smile.gif

Thanks.

12 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 13

I use them quite a bit, just be careful about using ones made of rubber in case your guests have a latex allergy. I use the clear plastic ones a lot. Makins Clay has a lot of nice ones, and cutters and impression mats, too. Michael's and Hobby Lobby carry that brand.

Deanna

MimiFord Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks Deanna for the reply and information. I appreciate it.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #4 of 13

have not seen them, but now I will be checking them out. Thanks for sharing

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:21am
post #5 of 13

I have used them too. In fact, some of the cutters you can't find anywhere else.

But hey, what do I know, I can't make a Calla lily

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 1:17am
post #6 of 13

I use many clay molds from AMACO. These molds are also sold on a cake supplies site. I Love the push molds there easy to use and fondant and gumpaste release quite well from them.

MimiFord Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 3:24am
post #7 of 13

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

The particular ones I was looking at are Sculpey Flexible Push Molds.

http://www.marieredmondartsandcrafts.com/PushMoldspg1.html

I can't get an answer about the latex issue, but I suspect they are made from latex. I guess I could use these for 50/50 or gumpaste only, and use the other suggestions for edible decorations. I went ahead and purchased a few - will see how they turn out.

Seems like the polymer clay molds for beads, etc. are cheaper than some of the other molds too - at least the ones I've seen so far.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 3:37am
post #8 of 13

I do use the Sculpey push molds for faces and hands for figures that won't be eaten. I'm not sure if they're food safe or not, but since the figures I make with them are wired, it hasn't been an issue for me yet.

I bought a pink rubber clay mold that came with a warning not to use it for food, but I couldn't find a warning on my Sculpey molds. But then again, the print is pretty small on the packaging and my eyes aren't what they used to be. haha

Deanna

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 3:49am
post #9 of 13

I bought the butterfly cutters, 3 sizes in a pk over with the clay supplies. They had one that was small enough to put on a cupcake with flowers and it worked perfect with fondant. They had several small ones I may purchase. This was at Hobby Lobby.

Linda

MimiFord Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 13

Yes - there are tons of those mini cutters - Wilton has some - perfect sizes for cupcakes and petit fours.

I keep telling myself "technology is a good thing."

If I had to decorate by artistic talent alone, I'd have to find something else to do - but I do use my dad and brother for some things - they inherited the artistic gene and my brother is a graphic design artist, so if things get too complicated, I use him. Funny to see a 6'5" muscle man decorating a cake, but he won't let me take pics. I call him "Duff 2" because he gets his tools out when I need a cakeboard or foamcore cut, etc. You should see him - too, too funny.

stephivey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephivey Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 13

You can get the Makin clay molds from www.theclaystore.com I use them all the time. They have great prices on cutters and impression mats too.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:46pm
post #12 of 13

There was a thread on here a while back that the sculpey clay molds were specifically stated by the company as not food safe. As I recall it was a touchy subject, so I don't want to revisit it. I just wanted to mention it. Try searching on sculpey.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:07am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByEllen

There was a thread on here a while back that the sculpey clay molds were specifically stated by the company as not food safe. As I recall it was a touchy subject, so I don't want to revisit it. I just wanted to mention it. Try searching on sculpey.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of too when I read this. However, this is where I say that for the most part- the companies have to say that if they haven't had them FDA approved for use with food. It's not that they are unsafe to use with food, it's just they haven't been told by the government that they are, so they can't tell us they are, in case someone gets sick or whatever. Of course there are times when it just isn't safe. I mean obviously, there are certain objects that wouldn't be FDA approved and the companies wouldn't have them certified, because you wouldn't be using them with food- but this is where common sense comes in.

I know the issue with the latex items are due to allergies, but that's a whole different story on it's own!

It just depends on where your comfort level is with these items.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%