$20 For This?

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 7 Oct 2007 , 8:49pm by Dennysse

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 14

Do you think $20 is an okay price for this cake? The lady from the HEALTH DEPARTMENT wants me to make her a cake to do with animals for her son's first birthday... I told her I had a lion pan that I could do and she said sure so I did that and made an extra matching smash cake besides that... I wanted to do fondant animals and do some crazy thing but she didn't want a round cake... she wanted it shaped like the animal's head or whatever and I just didn't have time with having to work in the bakery at the store all morning... do you think this is worth $20??? She comes to pick it up in 2 hours!

13 replies
mommabuda Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 14

Sorry it didn't show up... here it is:
LL

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 14

Cute cake! Looks like a lot of cake for $20. I'd say she got a good deal.

TractorDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TractorDiva Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 14

I agree with CarolAnn -- she got a bargain to be sure. Love that mane!

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 14

By just the sound of it, it sounds like it should be more since you're making a smash cake and she wants it carved. I'm no expert at pricing but some of the gals here at CC are good at helping with pricing.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 14

No, it's not worth $20. Are you kidding me?! I'd charge twice that at least!

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 14

Quote from my uncle, who ran an ice cream shop for years "always UNDERCHARGE the health department." LOL - that might help. BTW - cute cake

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 14

To me $20.00 is never enough. She is getting a fresh, homemade, custom made cake, so why should she get some discount price. I am sure that your cake is worth more than $20.00 and than with a smash cake too....It is worth more.

Vicky

BTW, if it is the wilton friendly lion pan that serves 12, if you multiply that times lets say $3.50 per serving (which is very cheap) you get $42.00 plus the smash cake. Just a thought. It is too cheap. I don't turn on my oven for less than $40.00. So no $20.00 cakes from me. Sorry.

Edited to add:

I now see the cake. She got a real bargin. Are youkidding me. I would do that for even more. Way to low at $20.00!!!!!!!! The cake is too cute. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnspice1981

Quote from my uncle, who ran an ice cream shop for years "always UNDERCHARGE the health department." LOL - that might help. BTW - cute cake

That is exactly what I was going to say!

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 14

Cute! Worth more than $20 (but goodwill with the Health Department never hurts!)

doreen1092 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreen1092 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 14

I am like you never knowing what to charge , but this cake 35-40 is what I would charge for a NORMAL cuctomer keep the helth dept. happy but charge a little more next time you dont want to become taken advantage of there are people like that out there ! Cute cake icon_wink.gif

mommabuda Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks everyone.. yes, it is just the pan from Wilton that I used (no carving here!) This is the last of my cakes from home though (good thing since this one is for the health department lady!) I figured it would be more beneficial if I were to do the cakes out of the store I work at and they can charge whatever they please for these things... I had to do 2 shaped pan cakes since yesterday and I figured it took me a total of 6 hours for everything (baking twice since I messed up one) so if I were working at the bakery and getting paid my normal $11 an hour I would've made $66 on these cakes rather than my $35 I charged for both of them minus material, ingredients & electricity costs...

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:38pm
post #13 of 14

Too low...I charge anywhere from $30.00 to $35.00 on cakes that size. Very cute cake..............She got a deal...............

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:49pm
post #14 of 14

Awesome cake!!! Its between $35-$40.I would charge that,but agree with sugarnspice1981 icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%