6" Wedding Cakes What To Charge?

Decorating By Sweetcakes23 Updated 8 Oct 2007 , 2:42am by Sweetcakes23

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 12:11am
post #1 of 9

I have an order request for 25 6" round cakes for a wedding. Simple designs, fondant covered. No flowers, just Hot pink, white and a little brown in design.
I've never done this type of order before, and I wonder if it will more difficult, and time consuming to do 25 little cakes than one large one? How should I price it out? Or is it about the same if design is on the simple side?
I was thinking $3.50 per slice.
Any suggestions?

8 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 12:20am
post #2 of 9

you should charge more, unless you happen to have at least 25 6 inch pans around. im assuming you don't, so now you have to consider the time it will take to bake that many cakes in 2 pans, or the cost of purchasing lots of pans that you will likely not use again. and you have to consider the space to store them, the extra time to fill and ice 25 cakes, verses 3-4. i always tell brides that the mini table cakes are never cost efficient, and they're also hard to serve since they're at the center of 8-10 people. most brides decide against using them when i explain the cost involved.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 12:23am
post #3 of 9

I find that smaller cakes are more labor intensive and harder to work with..but that might just be me.

Fondant isn't cheap despite the fact the cakes will be on the plain side.

Depending upon the filling used I would say your $3.50 is a bit on the low side.

I'd have to go at least 4.50....

Sweetcakes23 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 12:30am
post #4 of 9

Wow, I didn't realize it should be that much.... icon_surprised.gif I do have 6, 6" pans, but it will still take some time to bake...and I have two refrig. and one freezer for cakes. But I will still have some difficulty storing THAT many! I was going to steer her towards fillings that don't "have" to be refrigerated, so on the day before, when covering, it would be ok to be left out.
Any one else done this many? What have you found with this kind of order?
Thanks for all the info.! Very helpful.... icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 1:09am
post #5 of 9

You don't say if these are 1 layer or 2 layer, so I'm assuming 2 layer.

Assuming you can get four 6" pans in your oven, you can bake two of the 2-layer cakes at one time. This will be 13 baking batches to get 25 cakes. Assuming 30 minutes per batch, you are looking at about 6-7 hours in straight baking time......assuming you can pull the four pans out of the oven and put four more in within 2 seconds. Add another hour or so to baking time, if this maneuver isn't possible for you.

Part of the reason these are more expensive than a bride thinks they will be is becuase they are ALWAYS ordering more cake than they need.

Assume 8 guests to a table (which is the max I've ever seen at a wedding using round tables). We bakers charge by the serving that the cake is designed to serve NOT the number of servings the bride is planning to cut from it.

Per the Wilton wedding chart (which I use to determine my pricing) a 6" 2-layer cake serves 12. 12 servings times 25 cakes = 300 servings, times whatever your standard per-serving price is (mine is $3 so this is a $900 order MINIMUM). Plus whatever charges for fondant and the PITA charge for small detail work (and icing 25 six-inch cakes IS detail work!).

What kind of vehicle do you have for delivery? Do you have enough space to set out 25 boxes of cakes? Can you do it in one delivery? Two trips? Renting a van? Cost of 25 boxes and boards (instead of the 3 or 4 or maybe 5 you might need for a traditional wedding cake that serves 300)?

Just some add'l things to think about .......

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:02am
post #6 of 9

and don't forget that now the bride has to buy 25 knives to cut those cakes....she didn't think they would share them between tables, eh? icon_confused.gif

These really are a lot more work according to other cc members, if you decide to take it on make sure you get paid well.

mommachris

juledcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juledcakes Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 9

i've done 33 8" rounds.(went eith the aqua 2 tier in my photos) i charged her 3.50 a serving for buttercream, plus cataloged my time and charged her for all the baking time. i would make sure to include charges for all the boards and wrap and boxes as well. good luck.

julia

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 9

My minimum for fondant is $4 per serving, so that would come in at $1200 PLUS delivery! Does your bride really need 300 servings?!

Sweetcakes23 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:42am
post #9 of 9

Well, you guys have pretty much popped my bubble for doing this order icon_rolleyes.gif Just kidding... I really do appreciate all the food for thought that i DIDN'T think about! And, I will be charging more if I do this order....
Thanks so much! Maybe I'll just steer her towards a traditional, "non traditional" cake! Could be so much more fun anyway!
icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%