The Cake Wheel

Decorating By Teekakes Updated 11 Oct 2007 , 10:03pm by dueter

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 2:21am
post #1 of 10

Have any of you purchased a "Cake Wheel"? It looks like a fantastic product that needs to be in every cake decorators kitchen, but, the price is reeeaaaally up there. What's it made of, gold?? It looks to me like it's made of that thick heavy white plastic that some cutting boards are made of. What do you think?

Go here to see and read about it. There is a video demonstration link so you can see what all it does. I like it! But the price icon_eek.gif
http://www.thecakewheel.com/index.html

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 2:46am
post #2 of 10

I'm sorry, but I do everything she does on my little 'ole $15 turntable. I dont' do fondant, but I do need to elevate my cakes to do final detail work. I can use styrofoam dummies on my turntable as elevations; I put the sheet cakes right on my turntable; I have set my turntable on top of things to make it higher (an overturned big pan, a sturdy box, a 16" styrofoam). I don't worry about them moving because I use the non-skid mats to hold everything in place.

My overturn pan may not look snazzy, but it's sure cheaper than her price of $269!!!!

Teekakes Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 3:01am
post #3 of 10

Indydebi......I am currently doing the same thing you are but her system is nice and would make the job very easy at all times IMO. I could never justify spending 269.00 for the one set let alone the price for both of her sets. I'll just keep making do with various kitchen items too. It works! icon_smile.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 4:55am
post #4 of 10

I commend her for trying to "revolutionize" cake decorating, but I wasn't really sold on the product. I bought my lazy susan in IKEA for maybe $8 icon_biggrin.gif .
If I need to elevate a cake, I use a coffee can underneath.

On a different note, from someone who only uses fondant...
I'm sure there are different methods of applying fondant, but you don't roll it out as thinly as possible. Ever. (unless you are making fondant tissue paper)
Rolling it out as thinly as possible is the best way to show every single bump, dent, and speck on the cake. I also used to believe that letting the fondant hang was the way to get it the smoothest....until I learned how to do it the more traditional way. Once you do it with the cake sitting on a regular turntable, you will never go back to the hanging method. That is my opinion, anyway.
I did, however, contact her regarding the transfer method she advertises on her website. She says "patent pending"....I'm curious to know more details. Thanks for the link

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 5:29am
post #5 of 10

I too commend her for her entrepreneurial spirit and inventing something to help the cake decorator. I wish I had thought of it.

It does look like a great tool and yes it does look like that heavy cutting board plastic.

The whole set would be well over $500 and that is kind of a high price for the at home baker like me. I can see where bakeries would find it useful.

I would also like to hear from someone who has one though I don't think I would ever buy one for myself.

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 10

anyone out there actually have one? I am interested in buying one for my bakery but it is expensive - the thing I like about it is that it is a way you can get the bottom to be a lot smoother than the way I normally do it on a regular turntable. I find that my bottom edge isn't nice like I want it to be...any thoughts?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 10

I don't understand the cost at all. There are other ways to elevate cakes without spending that kind of $. It just does not seem like enough to justify the cost.

Teekakes Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by divaricks

anyone out there actually have one? I am interested in buying one for my bakery but it is expensive - the thing I like about it is that it is a way you can get the bottom to be a lot smoother than the way I normally do it on a regular turntable. I find that my bottom edge isn't nice like I want it to be...any thoughts?

I think if I had a bakery I would seriously entertain purchasing this entire system, but, for less $$$ than she is selling it for. I truly think she is making a real live killing with that price.
What I do to get the nice smooth bottoms is place a large 3 pound size coffee can or similar on top of my turn table then set the cake to be covered in fondant on top of the can. This way the fondant hangs freely over the sides of the cake making it so easy to cut away the excess fondant then rub it in for that perfectly smooth finish. I then place the cake onto it permanent cake board.
The main thing is to make sure the coffee can, or whatever else you may have handy, sits level, is sturdy, and is slightly smaller in diameter than the cake board that will be sitting on top of it. One time I purchased a 5 pound bucket of Satin Ice and I kept the bucket because it works very well for this too.

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 10

A cake pan can also be used.

dueter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dueter Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 10

Guess I'm just cheap. To raise my turntable up I just use a clay flower pot(unused of course)
Just turn it upside down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%