Color Flow Vs. Frozen Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By STX44703 Updated 8 Dec 2006 , 7:42pm by springlakecake

STX44703 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STX44703 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 5

I just finished Wilton Course 2 and loved learning how to do color flow. While looking at different cakes in the forum I noticed a lot of cakes using "Frozen Buttercream Transfers". What is the difference between color flow and buttercream transfers and which do you think work better?

Thanks

4 replies
meihana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meihana Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 5

Bump! I'd like to know also!

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 5

Well, since you just finished course 2, you have a good understanding of color flow, right? A frozen buttercream transfer is made completely differantly. There is a tutorial on this site on how to make one. Basically it is an image that is made from buttercream and then frozen so you can peel it off the wax paper and put it on the cake. You do the image in reverse though since you are flipping it onto the cake. Check out the tutorial, it will make much more sense! I much prefer the FBCT because it takes a lot less time and tastes much better!

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 5

I guess I should add it also really depends on what you are using the image for. Colorflow, as you know, drys rock solid so it is really stable and works great for things that you need to stand up such as lettering, fences, etc. An FBCT is best for laying an image flat on your cake.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 5

A FBCT is made (in reverse) out of buttercream, frozen and transfered to a cake. It is cut and eaten along with the cake

Here is a tutorial:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

colorflow: Hard, made several days in advance. You can eat it, but most people would pick it off, can't really cut through it.

They both have there own uses. I really havent made anything color flow since I learned to do FBCT and chocolate transfers (similar to FBCT only with candy melts). I guess I prefer FBCT and CT's because i think they are easier, and you can do more detail with them.

I have several FBCT and CT's in my gallery. I also have a spartan colorflow and the baby face colorflow in my pics

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%