Chocolate Sticks - How To Make Them??

Decorating By surfergina Updated 8 Dec 2006 , 3:32pm by Parable

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 1:32am
post #1 of 17

How do I make these beautiful chocolate sticks for the cake? I would like to make these for my two realtors who helped us found our dream home. This picture was found on http://www.traceyscakes.co.uk
LL

16 replies
jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 1:40am
post #2 of 17

What if you buy pirouettes and dip them in melted chocolate?? Would that work??? You could put a toothpick through the end of them and then stand them up in styrofoam or in an egg crate so they don't get a flat edge. Just a thought...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0005YX1DY/?tag=cakecentral-20

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 1:50am
post #3 of 17

I think jesseb is brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!

danny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danny Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 1:57am
post #4 of 17

i know you can buy them already made this way...they are called chocolate ciggerettes. im sure someone on cc has done cakes like this one, maybe they could help!!!
it is a beautiful cake!!!

surfergina Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 2:49am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieb578

What if you buy pirouettes and dip them in melted chocolate?? Would that work??? You could put a toothpick through the end of them and then stand them up in styrofoam or in an egg crate so they don't get a flat edge. Just a thought...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0005YX1DY/?tag=cakecentral-20

What a fantastic idea! I wonder if it taste good if dipped in either white or brown chocolate?

Anyone else have ideas? Instruction on how to make choc cigarette?

allissweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allissweets Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:01am
post #6 of 17
sarge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarge1 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:19am
post #7 of 17

instructions from one of my chocolate cookbooks:

temper chocolate.
pour prepared chocolate evenly onto a marble slab or the back of a baking sheet, ; using a metal spatula, spread to 1/8 inch thick and let set for 30 min, or until just firm.
To make long scrolls, use the blade of a long, sharp knife (or I think a pastry cutter would work?) on the surface of the chocolate, and with both hands, push away from your body at a 25-45 degree angle to scrape off a thin layer of chocolate.Twist the handle of the knife about a quarter of a circle to make a slightly wider scroll.

I hope that makes sense, the book has pics which explain it better

surfergina Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks, allissweets and sarge1 icon_smile.gif

It sounds like making it on your own is alot of hard work and time consuming. I wonder how much it would cost to buy ready-made? I looked at some website and most of them said that I have to call for pricing icon_confused.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 17

Actually I've been wondering where to buy them -- I have a book with a similar cake picture in it and she says she bought them (but didn't say where.) Does anyone know??

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 17

I've never had ANY luck trying to curl any kind of chocolate. No way, no how.

If I was trying to duplicate this cake, I'd go on the internet - eBay has 'em - and get a box of those big fat straws that are used for bubble tea. Then, I'd stick those straws into some styrofoam so they stand up...fill them full of melted chocolate - either from a piping bag or squeeze bottle....let them harden and then slit the straws ever so carefully with either a single-blade razor or an X-acto knife and peel the plastic away. Oughta work...and would be really cheap. You could probably also talk some bubble tea place out of a box of straws if you asked real nice.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

big fat straws that are used for bubble tea

icon_redface.gificon_confused.gificon_sad.gif what's bubble tea--i guess i'm gonna have to search this one, cause i got to know--i've never hear of this before

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 17

I was wondering the same thing -- bubble tea???

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:16pm
post #13 of 17

Could you use straws and dip them in chocolate to coat the outside? Then let them set--in fridge and pull the straw out? Just a thought? Usually the chocolate releases easily once it has set up?

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:19pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I was wondering the same thing -- bubble tea???

well i still don't understand what it is or what it's made with--seems like it is a creamy icon_confused.gif cold icon_confused.gif drink--dome lid (like an icee) with a bigger straw (like Mcdonald's icon_lol.gif )

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:22pm
post #15 of 17

That's a good thought. Especially if you dipped them twice, maybe. I'm going to have to go home and try this now. I have a bubble tea straw sitting around here somewhere, I think.

For those who asked....Bubble tea is a beverage that has big tapioca pearls in it. I'm a texture freak and haven't been able to bring myself to try it. Sounds gross to me. They use really fat straws to drink it. Some people use them for doweling cakes.

klacrawford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klacrawford Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:26pm
post #16 of 17

If pirouettes are the little sticks that have a waffer outside and are filled with a filling such as choc or vanilla, you can buy those at stores like gordmans, marshalls , ross and i think i have seen some at walmart they always bring them out during the holidays. Those would be perfect for what your talking about- they are not too fragile and have a filling and would taste good dipped in choc.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:32pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

For those who asked....Bubble tea is a beverage that has big tapioca pearls in it. I'm a texture freak and haven't been able to bring myself to try it. Sounds gross to me. They use really fat straws to drink it. Some people use them for doweling cakes.

Crimsicle, I agree with you about the texture issue. It sounds neat but I don't think I'll try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%