Do Y'all Remember Mike's Scooby Doo?

Decorating By mqguffey Updated 8 Dec 2006 , 5:29am by mqguffey

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 11

Do y'all remember Mike's Scooby Doo cake from the Cartoon Cakes Challenge? I remember he had something stacked all topsy-turvy but he said it was actually easier than it looked because there was one long center dowel running through the whole thing. Can anybody refresh my memory on how exactly he did that? I want to make a stack of three tires, say six or 8-inch rounds but have them sortof off kilter like that...how would I do that? Thanks to Doug, I'm not scared to use a drill!

10 replies
cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 11

first off, that cake was AMAZING

lol

and if i remember correctly, he tilted some of them, he just made sure to get the dowel EXACTLY centered through all the pieces, whether they were tilted or not

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 11

i remember it, but dont remember how he did it...my kids like to make the most noise and ruckus when i am trying to watch something. here is a cake though that seems to have a similar stacking style. perhaps you could pm this person and ask how it was done.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos_display_87_-58157.html

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:37am
post #4 of 11

They were not crooked at all. They were just off set. They were doweled the same as a stacked cake but the dowels were placed offset to accomadate the next cake. I just watched it again the other night. The tiers were staggered back and forth.The center dowel held it in place.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:45am
post #5 of 11

Moydear you are correct. I recorded it (tivo) to go back and remind myself how they did things. They are not crooked, just offset from each other. Geez, that cake sure was amazing!!!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:02am
post #6 of 11

It was the Egyptian column and it was just off set.

moydear77 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:11am
post #7 of 11

I am a Food Network Junkie!

mqguffey Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:17am
post #8 of 11

Do you think the cakes were on boards or plastic separator plates?

I'm a junkie too. Unfortunately DH is a little too enthusiastic about deleting old episodes!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:29am
post #9 of 11

I would think they'd have to be on cake boards. I don't think you could put a dowel through plastic separaters although I could be wrong.
Jacqui

moydear77 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:56am
post #10 of 11

Remember he has custom everything! These cakes are planned out with great detail. He can afford it!

mqguffey Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 5:29am
post #11 of 11

Under Doug's tutelage, I drilled a hole last week in the middle of one of my plastic separator plates to insert a dowel (for the soccer ball cake in my gallery). Used a 1/4 inch bit, went through like butta'. For this, I'd end up with plates with holes off to the side, but I suppose they would still be fine to use in the future. I don't know, cake boards without plates make me nervous icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%