I Love My Son, But Sometimes...

Decorating By wtare Updated 6 Oct 2007 , 6:47pm by LaSombra

wtare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wtare Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 14

Well my story is kinda funny and not nearly as bad as some I have read on this forum.

I was making a baby shower cake for my niece and the wording was made out of chocolate suckers. I had yellow, green and blue suckers to coordinate with the cake. I made enough suckers to have like two extra incase of breakage so I thought I was in good shape. By the way this was the morning of the shower. So I step outside for a few minutes while all of my suckers were on the counter setting up. A few, I'm not kidding like 5 or 6 at the most, minutes go by and I go back inside to find all of my yellow suckers gone. Immediately I yell who ate the suckers and my son, who by the way is twelve, comes into the kitchen with like three in his mouth and says "oh were you going to use those, I thought they were extra". He actually consumed about eight total and would have moved onto the other colors if I hadn't of stopped him. Luckily I had enough letters made up to re-melt for suckers so although stressed for a few minutes not the end of the world.

Needless to say the rule now is my husband or kids are not allowed to sample anything until after the event is over. icon_wink.gif

13 replies
Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 14

I can't believe he ate 8 in total, thats just crazy. I would totally understand if you wanted to strangle him.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 6:11am
post #3 of 14

My new agreement...updated from the last time I had "family trouble" (lol)

All bakers working out of the home need to have their family members sign a contract.

*I will not taste, touch or MOVE anything in the kitchen unless the baker gives me permission.

*I will not HELP out by throwing away your pastry bags.

*I will never turn on the oven unless I check to see if it is empty.

*I will not offer decorating advise unless asked by the baker.

*I will not polish off the icing in the fridge because I know the baker may not be done using it.

*I will never eat the last three eggs in the whole house.

*I will be careful getting things out of the fridge it there is a project in there...better yet I will ask the baker to get it for me.

*I will never put anything on the top of a pink box.

*I will not open the baby gate and let any child, animal or other sweet eater into the kitchen. The gate is closed for a reason.

*I am able to get my own snack, dinner or drink while the baker is in baking mode. I will not break her concentration.

*Baking is harder than it looks, I will be respectful of the art.

If I behave myself, offer support and do not make the baker give me THAT LOOK while she is busy, I will be rewarded with yummy treats AFTER the cake has been delivered.

signed_______________________

A word to the wise:
print it out folks, get them sign it and avoid this little headaches.
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I have a 13 year old son and I swear he has hollow legs....eats all day long and never full!

mommachris

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 11:59am
post #4 of 14

Welcome to CC wtare! My family knows better than to touch ANYTHING unless I give permission...and that means I put it in a different place with a note that says "you can eat this"!!

I love the contract idea mommachris, especially this rule:

*I will not offer decorating advise unless asked by the baker.

I get extremely annoyed when a family member offers advice unless I ask for it. I would prefer to not decorate anything when they are around.

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 14

wtare welcome to cc. Its hard balancing the kids and the cakes at the same time, they always do something!
mommachris your contract is so great.
i dont think my 2 year old (who has a direct line to the devil) would understand it, and he wouldnt stick to it. What happens if they break the contract????

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks mommachris for sharing that wonderful contract. I had a few giggles along the way! icon_lol.gif I haven't had any problems, but this is still a good thing to keep handy. thumbs_up.gif

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 14

i dont think my 2 year old (who has a direct line to the devil)

Oh my gosh that is soooo funny. When my son was a baby, I picked him up out of his crib and he made this hissing noise (which sent chills up my spine) that sounded like it came right out of a horror movie. He's now 9 (will be 10 Oct. 26) and to this day he's still a little stinker. icon_wink.gif

He doesn't like chocolate so I don't need to worry about him eating anything like that. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 14

Honestly i wasnt joking, he really is!!
Yesterday the phone rang so i went to get it, when i came back he had opened his baby gate. gone it to the kitchen and poured my coffee jar it to the washing machine draw. So i put him straight into the bath he smelt like star bucks. Got him out dried him. Went to get his cloths come back and he had put a whole Kilo of icing sugar in the bath water. I cried!!!

wtare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wtare Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks for the welcome, I have really picked up a lot of great ideas from this web site. Needless to say I am hooked.

Mommachris your contract was great. I found myself relating to every one and will be showing my family tonight.

I am so glad I only have one son right now, he is a bottomless pit. He is very tall for his age (5' icon_cool.gif and never seems to be done eating. Between him and his father I never have any leftovers. My daughter is just the opposite, she will take one or two bites of something and is done.

Regardless they are wonderful!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

My new agreement...updated from the last time I had "family trouble" (lol)

All bakers working out of the home need to have their family members sign a contract.

mommachris

I'm framing this and putting it in my kitchen..this rocks..love it!! thumbs_up.gif

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 14

The contract is hysterical! icon_lol.gif I just e-mailed it out to my family, heehee! icon_biggrin.gif

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 2:34am
post #12 of 14

if they break the contract they let are in for the wrath of Mom.
It not pretty, you don't want to go there! icon_lol.gif

mommachris

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 10:52am
post #13 of 14

It's not my kids I worry about it's my DH (and it doesn't mean DEAR LOL)

Great contract mommaChris!!! icon_biggrin.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 6:47pm
post #14 of 14

lol, love the contract icon_lol.gif

That should be printed out from coreldraw with a frame and stuff and them framed icon_biggrin.gif course, I don't have pink boxes...maybe i should start using them. They'd be pretty icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%