Bridal Festifal--Ok, Walk Me Through It Please...

Business By Chef_Stef Updated 25 Jul 2007 , 4:41pm by hsmomma

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 59

I have never even gone to a festival as a customer, much less a vendor, and I have a 10 x 20' booth rented at a huge festival on Jan 6-7, and I'm starting to panic a bit. There are supposed to be 5,000 brides there...! icon_surprised.gif

I'm planning to have at least one, if not 2, photo albums available and about 5 dummies (which only 2 are done!! icon_surprised.gif ), and a helper to serve samples and coffee/tea. But I'm stressing over the actual customers...

Can someone whose done a festival booth walk me through the basics, like just simply what to say (or what they usually start with) when the brides first walk up to the booth?

1. Do you book actual weddings right there or have them book consults for later and move on? Leave deposits or not?

2. Keep them moving or chat awhile and possibly miss others while 100s of people walk by?

3. How do you "profile" customers in terms of who is a "good fit" for you as a decorator? I'm planning to have clear pricing and serving quantities on my dummies, but I want to really focus on the larger cakes and will only be doing one or two a weekend at most. A cake business friend told me with that size of show and that limit of bookings for the year, I'll fill up for next year in like the first MORNING of the show...ack! I need some definite questions to ask to shorten the chat time to just need-to-know info and not get excited and just book the first 50 brides I meet...

4. Do I need a: Notebook? Datebook? Laptop with customer info? Customer response cards? All of the above??

5. Drawings? Prizes/giveaways? I've been asked to donate the cake for the big $25K wedding package that's being given at the festival, so not sure what to do for drawings.

help! I'm starting to freak out a bit and running out of time.

Oh--and I still am in the last seconds of making sure my commercial kitchen is available and bakery license in place after my original one fell through LAST WEEK. Nothing like 11th hour progress!

deep breath...in...out...

icon_surprised.gif Help...just give me an idea how this will go...or am I way overanalyzing it. My friend just said, "shows are fun; you just go and...they just happen..." It can't be that simple, can it??

58 replies
whimsette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsette Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

1. Do you book actual weddings right there or have them book consults for later and move on? Leave deposits or not?

I don't book without a consultation. I need details like time/place of event, theme/colors, what flavors they want, etc. Most brides don't have their vendors booked when they come to a show. It's best - for me - to only accept clients that have a venue booked and a date set in stone.

I will accept appointments for consultations at shows.

Quote:

2. Keep them moving or chat awhile and possibly miss others while 100s of people walk by?

Talk to whomever has questions about your cakes and services. Even if they don't book with you, they'll remember how nice you were -- and that goes a long way in the bridal community. Word-of-mouth advertising is priceless.

Quote:

3. How do you "profile" customers in terms of who is a "good fit" for you as a decorator?

Don't book at the show and bring them in for a consultation so you can spend some time with them to better determine if you're a good match.

Quote:

4. Do I need a: Notebook? Datebook? Laptop with customer info? Customer response cards? All of the above??

Essentials: business cards (lots!), flyers or handouts with your cake menu (pricing optional), notebook, calendar, and lots of pens (they tend to disappear at these events).

Quote:

5. Drawings? Prizes/giveaways? I've been asked to donate the cake for the big $25K wedding package that's being given at the festival, so not sure what to do for drawings.

It's up to you. I participated in 1 drawing and thought it was a waste of time and effort. I really didn't see any increase business by doing so. If anything, I was targeted by other businesses who wanted me donate to their events. Bleah.

Chef_Stef Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 59

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! icon_smile.gif

Just what I needed to hear: the calm voice of experience. I'll make notes and save your advice, and thank you so much for posting it! thumbs_up.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 59

As a bride, I go to look and take notes, not to book yet. Then take the info home, with notes on which tasted best and who I am willing to work with.

Of the 5,000, how many will be actual brides? They always bring SOMEONE, a mother, sister, aunt, firend, sometimes groom but usually another female. Usually you need at least one biz card per group. I would not look to consult with someone if they didn't have samples and someone else had a tasty cake sample, because design can be worked through many decorators. With that many brides, you should be booked easily without doing the raffle cake, but it would be good to get your name out for the first year or two.

Chef_Stef Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 59

Thanks zmama,

I was told that they are expecting 5,000 actual brides (and their friends) through the doors icon_eek.gif ...

I can't imagine enough business cards for that, OR brochures, OR samples...

I'll get a more up to the minute count soon, as many have registered as guests somehow already.

I feel better knowing I won't have to be booking or planning my year while standing in a busy booth. Thanks!

cakeartbypam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeartbypam Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 59

Hi, I've done numerous bridal shows in the North Central Florida area. I also attended a mini-seminar on "how to make the show work for you." Basically, they say "don't give it all away at the show." I took extensive notes and typed them, so if you can give me a direct e-mail address where to send it, I can send the document to you (Microsoft Word format). I have done shows with and without giving cake samples. By NOT giving cake samples, that gives me more time to actually speak to the brides more and get more advance names and addresses, and it saves money. I put a little more time and effort into decorating my booth, though, to help attract their attention. It also gives them incentive to later come to a private consultation where I can give them two or three cake samples (and much larger than what they'd get at the show.) I seldom take actual bookings at the show, but basically compile a contact list for as many brides as I can get and use the time to get to know them. Remember that you're planting seeds; even if a bride doesn't order from you, I've gotten referrals and orders from someone who attended the show with them. I've had former brides who still come to the shows, and they are so excited when they see their cake photo in your book and usually (LOUDLY) let everyone around them know it's there. You usually get a lead list as a participating vendor at the shows, but it can sometimes take a long time to get this. Maybe you can offer your own free "giveaway" item where they drop a form giving you their name and address info. By getting your own lead list at your booth, it gives you a head start. Some shows require that you offer a giveaway, but I haven't found that to be a positive feedback kind of thing for what we do. I also gave away a 3-tier cake (100 servings) for a wedding package offered at a bridal show, and her wedding date was - of all times - Thanksgiving weekend. This could be kind of dangerous if you already have two cakes booked on a given weekend, and then find they also want a cake that same weekend. What our group did, that kind of saved us, was require that they choose a Sunday wedding date instead of a Saturday. They are usually pretty accommodating if they're getting a free package.

vivedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vivedcreations Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 12:06am
post #7 of 59

cakeartbypam, could you send me the notes you took at the class? I would appreciate it...I am considering doing a show this spring and it too would be my first ever (attending or having a booth). Thanks in advance! [email protected]

Chef_Stef Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 12:12am
post #8 of 59

Thanks to you, too (you've got a pm)...! I'll take any advice I can get.

I'm feeling better already, you guys. It sounds more like the actual booth will be more about chatting with brides, which is what I'm really good at icon_lol.gif instead of planning their wedding on-the-spot.

The donation cake I agreed to because it's on a set WEEK day in the next year, so I'll just plan accordingly (unless it falls during my vacation ack!). I'll probably skip the drawings.

The venue is giving us vendors a complete mailing list of registered brides, but for those who walk through as walk-ins, I'll probably have a card they can fill out and leave with brief info, name, phone, wedding date, best time to call etc. (any thing else?)

I'm planning to make 10 (enough? yes?) 12 x 18 sheet cakes as samples (5 for each day) and serve 1" square samples and have a helper serving so I don't have to deal with that part; I can just be chatting.

What I'm still finding myself totally wondering about is WHAT am I doing with a 10 x 20' booth?? I mean, we could practically HAVE a wedding in there...I wanted smaller, but dh said go big, so we did...Any tips on filling up the space. I'll have 5-6 display cakes plus the samples on tables, chairs for chatting in, who knows what else...

Loving all your input; keep it coming! thumbs_up.gif

Rooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rooh Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 1:26am
post #9 of 59

cakeartbypam - I would also like to have a copy of your notes too!!!

Thanks,
Rooh

Email: [email protected]

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 5:19am
post #10 of 59

Take some pf your high res portfolio pics to a printer (Kinko's or similar) and get 3-4 posters made. Frames for them are $10 at Walmart, or get them done on heavier board. That would take up space as well as attract interest. They can be reused for other shows, hung on your walls in the consult area, etc afterward, so it is an investment rather than pure cost.

A small table for you and a bride to sit at would be nice, since you have the room. Bring your appt book for sure, as some will want to at least get a consultation scheduled.

Is there a rule against candles? Those would be nice if allowed. Sets a personal, romantic feel, rather than supermarket like the shows I've been to.

You have plenty of space to do so much with! You can coordinate table clothes to match the cakes, really "Martha Stewart" each cake area. Have fun!

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 6:10am
post #11 of 59

The shows I have done we serve an actual wedding cake and this gets the Brides very excited. Remember they can't see what is in our mind. And while it would be good to have your sheet cakes pre portioned, they would rather think they were actually sampling a real wedding cake.

I do hang pictures in the background (wall or a tri-fold door). Everyone may not be able to get to your photo albums. Once we used our laptop with a slideshow of our cakes, we brought a bakers rack and put the laptop on the top shelf.

Also, next show I do I plan to have a note on the back of my card if they book with-in the month they can get a small discount if they attended the show. It's worth a try.
Don't forget your gloves for serving and plenty of napkins or plates.

Lora

cakeartbypam Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 6:38am
post #12 of 59

To those who requested a copy of my bridal show notes, I have sent them in a separate e-mail, along with some photos. I only saw two requests, so if I've missed someone, just let me know.

cakeartbypam Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 6:50am
post #13 of 59

I have also prepared a fully-decorated 3-tier wedding cake to do something a little different, and it really can showcase your work and seems to get them more excited than the others who have brought sheet cakes - something that sets you out among the rest. It's definitely a lot more work, and you have to make that decision. I've done it several different ways - no cake at all, smaller cake samples, and a fully decorated cake. For sure, the fully decorated cake generates the most excitement, but it adds another dimension to the work and takes you away from your brides if you don't have help.

I haven't had posters made to show, but that's a great idea. I once had a photographer who was impressed by a cake I made, and they sent me a free half-sized poster which was gorgeous, and I have used that at a show once before. You're right in that not everyone can get to the books. Brides are reluctant to let them go until they've had a chance to talk to you and ask questions about some of the pictures they like.

I like the idea of offering a discount within a short time following a show to prompt them to a sense of "urgency" to follow up after the show.

I'm glad you mentioned the gloves! I forgot to mention that. I wear a chef's coat embroidered with my business name and ALWAYS use gloves to cut and serve the cake, along with plenty of napkins and a place for them to toss the disposable goods when they're done.

rayven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rayven Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 6:53am
post #14 of 59

cakeatybypam...I'm going to be doing two shows in January and it would be helpful to me to have that information also!

[email protected]

cakeartbypam Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:22am
post #15 of 59

Sure, Rhonda. Since I'm new to this posting thing, I'll send it to you in a separate e-mail. It should also include some photos of my show set-ups, etc.

mypastrychef Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:33am
post #16 of 59

I've got to order some nice chef jackets.
Thanks for reminding me!!!!
I would like your notes also for the show.

Lora

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 8:09am
post #17 of 59
Quote:

I'm planning to make 10 (enough? yes?) 12 x 18 sheet cakes as samples (5 for each day) and serve 1" square samples and have a helper serving so I don't have to deal with that part; I can just be chatting.

I recommend taking all 10 cakes with you on the first day and be prepared for a working evening that night. We have done 2 day shows where we show up with twenty 12X18's (figuring 10 per day) only to find out that we went through 15 on day one. That whole evening was spent baking another 10 sheets to be ready for the next day. icon_surprised.gif

On the subject of "show specials" (discounts for booking at or right after the show), I am firmly in the "not a fan" category. Let me explain why... We book a couple hundred wedding cakes a year and that means that no matter what time of the year it is, a handful of brides booked with us that very week. So if we do a bridal show that weekend offering a discount for booking with us in the next 2 weeks, I have effectively penalized these brides for booking with me anytime other than right after a bridal show. It hardly seems fair for them to pay more because they got to me too early. icon_biggrin.gif

Discounting your cakes at a show also means not only did you have to pay hundreds of dollars to be there for 2 days, plus the cost of all of your samples, but now your product is worth less so you have to book more than normal to cover your costs.

Most importantly, make sure you have fun. I truly enjoy everything about bridal shows except for setup & cleanup. icon_biggrin.gif It really is a lot of fun chatting up the brides and I will miss not doing shows anymore.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 12:43pm
post #18 of 59

cakeartbypam, would you mind sending your notes and pics my way? I have yet to do a bridal show but have been invited to several. Thanks a lot! [email protected]
-Michelle

mypastrychef Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:54pm
post #19 of 59

Discounting your cakes at a show also means not only did you have to pay hundreds of dollars to be there for 2 days, plus the cost of all of your samples, but now your product is worth less so you have to book more than normal to cover your costs.

Thanks for sharing this valueable info, it saved me from wasting time printing on the back of the cards.

Do you print anything with your price estimates? if so do you think it is wise. I have never done that and have always stressed that they set an appointment after the show. What percentage of brides do you normally get booked from the bridal show?
Piece Of Cake website has "wow" cakes on it!

Lora

cakeartbypam Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:59pm
post #20 of 59

You've presented some great ideas about why not to offer discounts at a show. I've wrestled with this for awhile, and you've all given me something to think about. Thanks!

Chef_Stef Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 8:57pm
post #21 of 59

Piece of Cake--More great advice THANKS!! I am simply LOVING all the tips from you guys!!

I wondered the same about what if I take all the sheets and use them all, then I'm going to be up for an all-nighter that night baking 10 more!! agh (could happen...)

What do you think of *not* running out by just setting a limit on samples and "when they're gone, they're gone"...?

Or would that be counterproductive?

I really like the excitement of cutting a real wedding cake, too, but I'm still wrestling with the ideas of how messy can that get, in terms of serving utensils etc.? Pam had some great ideas on precut samples--for those who have done them, do they tend to dry out? If I did precut, I wouldn't necessarily need a helper, would I? (My niece is super excited to help out, though)

I'm going to use a laptop slideshow too, and have two albums out.

DH wants to get slat wall rented and arrange the display cakes on racking attached to the slat wall...anyone seen something like that done?

On chef coats: Should I wear one AND my helper, or have her wear something else (dressy street clothes) to separate who the brides need to talk to ? or both wear chef jackets that match? DH thought opposite and thinks I should wear street and have my helper in a chef coat, but I disagree.

What do you think?

[list=][/list]

mypastrychef Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 10:09pm
post #22 of 59

with all the hooplah of the food network ( which has been great for my business) people will recognize the pastry chef/designer if they see you in that jacket. It is a statement, I feel. You are talking to the main person. Everyone wants to say they met the chef!

If you decide to serve a real wedding cake it is not so bad as it seems. I serve using a sharp knife to cut a 1/2"x1 1/2" x 4" slice of cake, then lay the cake slice in my gloved hand and then lay that on a cheap 6" paper plate or usually I just use nice napkins.

November I just did a show and out of 350 served only one refused the cake because it was not served with utensils.

I never set a limit on seconds these people who keep coming back are gonna talk, obviously your cake is good. Also encourage other vendors to taste your cake, they can be a huge source of referrals.

I would definitely take someone with you!

Your head will be swimming by the time you have talked yourself to death, you'll need water and a potty break, so it is a good idea to have someone to guard the booth while you take a breather.

Lora

Lora

Chef_Stef Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 10:14pm
post #23 of 59

Lora,

I think you're right--I'll maybe have her not wear a jacket, so they'll be able to spot who to talk to right away.

Any tips on the precutting thing? It seems like it'd save a ton of work and time AT the show to have everything cut ahead of time, if it would stay fresh.

mypastrychef Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 10:36pm
post #24 of 59

I recently belonged to the Retail Bakers of America (RBA) and we also had a baker-to-baker forum. Anyhow one of the fellow bakers said she would cut up 100's of pieces and put them in mini cupcake liners and then in one of those large air tight kraft containers.

Lora

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 11:04pm
post #25 of 59

How about a uniform "dress code" for you and your helper? You wear the chef coat with black pants and she wears a white collored shirt or white polo shirt with black pants. I know this has nothing to do witih the cake part itself but hey you will both look professional and everyone will know that you are the "boss" and will talk to you.
I have made my own chef jackets for work, because of our "all white" dress code. I personalized mine with my name embroidered on the pocket and the collars and cuffs in a pattern of my choice (black with flames is my fav) I also made one for my new lead with broncos fabric for the collar n cuffs and her name on the pocket.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 12:37am
post #26 of 59

First of all, how many other cake decorators will be there?
if there is a lot, brides get tired of cake..my show had 7 cake decorators and by the time they got to me, they were "caked out" fortunatly, I put my samples in souffle (sp?) cups with lids....they loved that!!!

also, you probably shouldnt expect to book anything that day, brides are there looking to see what is available for their wedding.

what i thougtht about for my next show, was to offer 50% off bridal shower cake if they book with me in a certain amount of time. what do you think about that?

I also have called every bride on my list to ask if they still need a wedding cake...that has really worked well for me....but won't work for that many brides, you'll never get them all called.

good luck!

melody

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 2:49am
post #27 of 59

cakeartbypam....Please email the information to me too!!!

[email protected]

Thanks,
Alex

Chef_Stef Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 3:21am
post #28 of 59

Love the lidded cup idea too! Hmm, where'd you find the cups..?

Another cake sample question:

Fill the sheet cakes so they get a sample of filling, or leave them unfilled? I'm planning to fill 2" high layers, just so they get a taste of both.

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 3:40am
post #29 of 59

cakeartbypam....Please email the information to me too!!!

[email protected]

Thanks,
Alex

cakeartbypam Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 5:19am
post #30 of 59

Lora's right; definitely take someone with you. You may need to run out for a potty break, since some of these shows last as long as 5 hours. I've had my mother, my daughters and friends there (usually just one at a time) just to help give people basic information until I could speak with them and to pass out cake. Turns out my oldest daughter was a natural! She really put a lot of pizzazz into her pitch and I have to say that was one of my best shows.

If you run out of cake, don't sweat it. Just say something like, "Well, I'm so sorry all of my samples are gone. They just flew out of here like nobody's business. I guess that means they were pretty good!"

I've never had anyone say the pre-cut samples weren't fresh. I had more of a hard time keeping my supply on the tabletop replenished. I ice a 1" tall layer of cake with icing, cut my squares, then pipe on a quick drop flower on top of each sample, then place them inside a lidded plastic container until the next day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%