I Need Recipe!! Help!

Baking By eagerlearner Updated 8 Dec 2006 , 7:34pm by Susecita

eagerlearner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eagerlearner Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 11:50am
post #1 of 8

Hi, I'm making a christmas cake for my aunt and i need a chocolate cake recipe that holds it's shape even if i carve it up like a turkey. I also am looking for a mint buttercream recipe. Any ideas? icon_sad.gif

7 replies
Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 8

There are many Choc. cake recipes under the Recipe Tab here on CC that you can choose from. Check them out. For the frosting purchase peppermint flavoring and add a couple of drops to your favorite BC recipe. Sounds like it'll be a delicious cake.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 8

I always use Killer Chocolate Cake....if you're going to be carving it up, freeze it for a little while, it will be much easier.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2182-Killer-Chocolate-Cake.html

Like morningglories said, you can add peppermint extract to your buttercream. You can also add Peppermint Schnapps instead of milk/water(yum!) and, if you don't mind the lumps, crushed peppermint pieces.

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 8

I think a chocolate pound cake would work.

eagerlearner Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:23am
post #5 of 8

Sorry, I also need it to withstand mmf. Also any tips on using mmf? It'll be my first time and i'm a little nervous. icon_smile.gif

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 10:42am
post #6 of 8

I just posted a chocolate recipe here that it's to die for. Although the cake is very very moist it does have a very nice thick shape. It then almost melts as you eat. However, if you do the carving while the cake is still somewhat frozen it is even easier. I covered this cake in MMF (still waiting for the pictures). MMF is truly no more different than traditional fondant I feel. I like it better because I think it is a bit more forgiving. I would be a bit nervous about using fondant to cover shapes such as a turkey but that is just me. I have yet to make a shaped cake. If I were to do it, however, I would make sure I can cover the cake by pieces (i.e try not to do the whole thing) and then perhaps cover edges, and cuts with some feather looking strokes made in buttercream. Ok my thoughts for the day.

Hope these help.

eagerlearner Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 8

[quote="Susecita"]I just posted a chocolate recipe here that it's to die for. Although the cake is very very moist it does have a very nice thick shape. It then almost melts as you eat. However, if you do the carving while the cake is still somewhat frozen it is even easier. I covered this cake in MMF (still waiting for the pictures). MMF is truly no more different than traditional fondant I feel. I like it better because I think it is a bit more forgiving. I would be a bit nervous about using fondant to cover shapes such as a turkey but that is just me. I have yet to make a shaped cake. If I were to do it, however, I would make sure I can cover the cake by pieces (i.e try not to do the whole thing) and then perhaps cover edges, and cuts with some feather looking strokes made in buttercream. Ok my thoughts for the day.

Hope these help.[/quote]

icon_biggrin.gif It was a figure of speech. I don't think i'm emotionally, physically, and mentally ready to make a turkey shaped like a cake. I mean... a cake shaped like a turkey. Good idea though....

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 8

Oh got it. Cuts like a turkey. Well this is your recipe. This cake is as smooth and moist as can get.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%