Hat Cake - Help!

Decorating By LadyTee Updated 5 Aug 2005 , 12:08am by PinkPanther

LadyTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyTee Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,
I am new to cake decorating and I want to make a hat cake for my daughter and my birthday next month (we share September 22). I see so many amazing hat cakes here and would like to know how they were made.
In my mind, I see taking a half ball and placing it in the middle of an 8 or 10 inch round. Am I right? Do I need to be supporting it with dowels?
Any and all help, suggestions and how-tos will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

6 replies
justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, this would be like stacking cakes. You will need the support.

here is a link to some really pretty hat cakes. Some are not on top of another cake. This can give some great ideas.

http://images.google.com/images?q=hat+cakes&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 1:51am
post #3 of 7

Hi LadyTee,

If you will look in my pictures, I did a hat cake with 2 6-inch cakes stacked on top of a 9-inch. I did not use dowels and it held up fine. Hope this helps and good luck! thumbs_up.gif

LadyTee Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 11:13am
post #4 of 7

Thanks Pink Panther - your cake is actually one of the ones I was looking at attempting, but I am still fondant shy. Thanks for sharing how to get it done - what kind of cake is it?

PinkPanther Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry, I just got home and saw this post. It's just a chocolate Italian cream cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting. The only fondant part is the hat band and roses. I can send you the recipe if you'd like. icon_smile.gif

LadyTee Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 7

Hi PinkPanther,
If you would send it I would love to try it. icon_smile.gif

Thanks, Here is my email [email protected]

PinkPanther Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 12:08am
post #7 of 7

Sent! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%