Square Edges On A Fondant Cake

Decorating By melysa Updated 7 Dec 2006 , 3:49am by mypastrychef

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 7

is it possible to achieve distictively square edges and corners with a fondant covered square cake? how? mine seem so rounded, even when using straight edge square pans.

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 7

thanks for the links, i only read through the first one...which seems to be smoothing the corners. i can do that fine without pleats, my issue is having the corners look more square as if you've iced them with buttercream. it seems that the fondant slightly bends or curves the edges of the cake making it look as if you've trimmed the edges to be rounded off. make sense? the ones i have done dont look bad, i was just wondering if you can make them look more squared. i'll post pictures later, i did four square cakes yesterday.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 7

I had the same exact problem and a CC member told me to use less icing under the fondant and to chill the cake for a little bit before covering with fondant. It made sense to me... I will be trying this weekend. I figured my problem is that I put a LOT of icing and that's what making me not have sharp edges. HTH

Justcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 7

excellent, thats what i was looking for!

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:49am
post #7 of 7

You can apply the fondant and then
1)cut away the excess fondant with a pair of scissors or
2)cut out a upside down V then lay the sides back down and press to the cake Or
3) pinch the corner edge to make it look square.

I have done all expect 2) but I have done it using paper and I assume you can use the same concept.

Lora

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%