Cake Decorating Book.... Do You Like Toba Or Collette Better

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 7 Dec 2006 , 12:13am by cakecre8tor

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 5:29am
post #1 of 11

I have Toba's on my Christmas list. Also plan on buying one put out by Borders that was suggested here.... It was suggested to me that I not buy Collettes birthday cake book but her Christmas one was cool. Don't know much about Toba Garrett (sp?)

10 replies
mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 8:28am
post #2 of 11

Toba. All the way. 100%

Toba's books will teach you more. The only thing I got out of Colette's books that was helpful - this is just me - is she really knows doweling. Toba's recipes are great, her techniques are great, her methods are clear, precise and ESPECIALLY her new book covers SO MUCH material. Colette's books seem to be more for show about what she DOES not as much as instructional or helpful in helping you DO your own.

Rachel

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 11

I would have to agree. Toba's are more indepth on methods and how to's. She really takes you through lessons and tips, bags, tools, angles, bead making, color mixing, recipes.....she really does it all. thumbs_up.gif You can be a decorator for yaers and look at her books and learn something. To me longevity on this more expensive books is a key factor also. Who wants this gorgeous book of beautiful cakes that you never really use...except to move around on a shelf and dust? Maybe puruse through for an idea every blue moon.

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 11

I only have Colette's book, but I agree with the others. When I read the instructions for some of the things I'm still lost. I need more explanation than what she gives.

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 11

I agree w/ the others!

In my opinion- Toba's books are very clear and precise- that the ways she teaches... btw her lastest book is veiwed as the only TEXT BOOK for c/d.

Colette has a different approach. Excellent work but, sometimes you can be left in the dark w/ the instructions.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 11

I believe that Toba is the MASTER.

IHMO Colette has loads and loads and loads of talent, but after reading her books, I have noticed several flaws in her cake pictures. Yeppers thats what I said - flaws.........so now every time I look at one of her cakes my eyes go right to the flaws........it's like finding a typo in a book you spent $100.00 on......

Anyway, I truly believe that Emmacakes here at CC has great talent and a similar style and enough of it so she may even revile Colette. If ya don't believe me check her out: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&u=42800 icon_wink.gif Can ya tell I am one of her fans?

(Gosh here comes the flaming torch they, the unruly Mob, are coming to burn me and Frankensteins monster for saying something negative about our beloved Colette. icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif Help, help help.)

Believe me, I really do love Colette, but just didn't care for the books. (Oh the flame is hot.)

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 11

Colette- inspiration. Toba- instruction.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 11

Toba is a teacher, Collete is a designer. Two different types of people. I love the books of Collete's for idea's, I really love Toba's books for tried and tested recipes and teaching tips. If I had a choice between the two I would go for Toba.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

Colette- inspiration. Toba- instruction.

thumbs_up.gif

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 12:04am
post #10 of 11

Toba is the right choice! icon_smile.gif

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 12:13am
post #11 of 11

I got to agree with the Colette is more inspirational. I tell you I love them both and have several books of each but I definately pull out my Colette books way more for inspiration. I think Colette assumes that if you are going to make her cakes you are not a novice and can do it with minimal instruction. It probably just depends on why you are buying the books....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%